Spayed cat having issues drinking water with a cone

scarlethazard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 1 year old female kitten got spayed today and since she's been home she's been having trouble trying to drink her water with the cone on.
She had this issue in the past when she broke her ankle and needed a come as well but it was taken off early since she never tried to mess with the splint. I don't want to take the cone off this time because or her licking the recovery area and opening up her sutures.. If anyone might have some ideas I'm willing to try them. She had some dry food mixed with wet food and water when she got home but don't know if that would be a suitable sorce of water for her till the cone comes off in two weeks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take the cone off.  I've had many female kitties spayed and none have come home with a cone.  Just keep an eye on the incision and if it starts looking red and angry or weeping, then get her to the vet.  She'll lick it because the incision doesn't smell like herself, but she'll be okay. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlethazard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm just really scared she's gonna make it worse and I won't have a ride to the vet if something happens because my husband is taking the car on a business trip for the next month and a half, he leaves next week. My mother told me to leave the cone on for the two weeks but let her out of the bathroom where she's been since she got home, and she won't let me near the incision. She hasn't been the luckiest cat since she broke her ankle at two months old and was in a splint for another two months and than was sick for another month.. :(

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can take the cone off if you're supervising her while she's eating and drinking. If she starts licking the incision or if you're not going to be actively supervising, you can put the cone back on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlethazard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried this when I went in the last two times and she only tried to lick the incision once and I moved her face away and she stopped. She didn't drink any water both times but but aye a little each time, I'm going to sit with her one more time before I go to bed. Thank you both for your advice :)