Spayed Cat Hasn't Eaten For 3 Days

amazingdrummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got spayed Saturday morning and since then she hasn't touched food or water. I tried everything, from her favorite foods to nutrition gel, she won't eat.
I brought her to the vet and get antibiotic injection, vet said I should only worry if the cat didn't eat for a week.
But im still very worried, she just sleep all day. She didn't lick so no e-collar.
Please give me some tips to help her eat or drink

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A week is way too long to only start to get worried, and three days is long enough for the vet to be giving better advice, IMO. My cat didn't eat properly and was lethargic after getting neutured and it turned out he had an eye infection. Once he was antibiotics for that, he got his appetite back. Give it a chance for the antibiotic to work, otherwise she may need an appetite stimulant from the vet. In my experience they work pretty well. You want to get your cat eating.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some water from a tuna can, some chicken baby food. Whatever her favorite food is, make some of that. Cats can't go very long without eating---their livers start to consume themselves---so I don't know what the vet is thinking :/. Ask the vet about getting some painkillers; pain is usually why they don't want to eat. Do NOT give her any human painkillers, they're very toxic to cats.

My cousin's cat went into the plumbing area under the bathtub after being spayed, and didn't come out for for 3 days, and presumably didn't have anything to eat or drink while she was in there. And she's doing fine now. So it's not unheard of. . .but still, try to tempt her to eat and drink in whatever way you can.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you got a syringe that they could use. She must have some liquid soon. If no syringe then try dipping your finger in water and wetting her mouth.
Try mashing her wet food and putting a little in her mouth.
Hopefully some other members will come up with more ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amazingdrummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought her to the vet again, another antibiotic shot and she got intravenous drip too (mostly because i was too concerned and asked for)
My little girl still refused eating, I found it hard to forced feeding her because she was struggling when I tried to, although she looked so weak.
I don't know, Vet seemed positive, he was lovely and caring and I wanted to trust him. He said the incision looked good. Maybe I should try new vet?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think you should try a different vet. Cats can't go even three days without eating before they start to get fatty liver.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with maggidemi, find another vet. Usually they are ready to eat a couple of hours after the surgery as they should have been starved prior to it. Even though she has had some fluids she needs to be checked out. Please keep us updated.