Spayed Cat has Kitten

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i had a young cat who was pregnant spayed a couple weeks ago and the kittens aborted.  today i found her with one kitten.  is it possible for her to have a kitten after having kitties aborted and her fixed?  i am beside myself at the moment!  the kitten seems to be a couple days old as the cord is hard and black and it is clean and looks like it is eating.  however, her teats are very small and i cant tell that she is producing milk. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i tried to keep her inside but she grew up outside and was terrorizing the inside cats so i let her go back outside but she has stayed here on the front porch where i had warm bedding and such through the winter...  the kitty looks like her but her mother who is wild and i cannot get near is pregnant too and i dont know if maybe its one of hers.  however, i saw her mama this morning when i fed all the outside cats (i feed the wilds and the strays in the neighborhood) and she was still pregnant... 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you obtain her vet records and confirm the procedure? There should be no way for a spayed cat to be pregnant.

It is possible for a cat to deliver kittens on different days, so the still-pregnant cat could be the mother. Is there any way you can contain her in a room while she delivers and raises the others?

That way you could bottle feed the baby for a few days (it does need immediate care) and then have it rejoin its mom and litter.

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just saw the mother cat and she has delivered so i feel like it came from her.  im going to get some mothers milk and will help the small cat take care of the kitten.  there is absolutely no way to get hold of the mother cat and i do not know where the other kittens are so i would not want to take her away from them.  ill help Baby Cat take care of this one.  thanks for the reply.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten needs to be fed every 2-3 hours at this age.  The food and the kitten must be warm in order for it to digest.  Feed stomach down and head slightly up, as the kitten would feed from mom.  You can use a dropper, a needleless syringe, or a bottle - whatever the baby will take.

It will also need help going to the bathroom; you will have to stimulate it before and after each meal with a warm damp cloth.  It also needs to be kept warm - kittens can't regulate their body temperatures until they are three weeks old.  You may also want to make sure it doesn't have fleas. 

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby Cat is doing all of that herself! im just not sure she has enough milk. she was pregnant herself just two weeks ago and was pretty far along so she probably has milk still and she has claimed this kitten as her own already...  i will watch it and her and make sure it survives but i think she is going to be able to do it herself!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would still get some KMR or goats milk to feed it. The cat can do the rest for you. You dont want to take a chance of this kitten dying of starvation. Get a scale and weigh it daily to be sure its gaining. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep Baby Cat and the kitten inside so you can properly monitor and keep them warm?  The best way to tell if the kitten is thriving is if you can weigh it every day.

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i can't bring her in but she and the kitten are on the front porch under a light and in a bed with a heating pad under it..  id bring them in but Baby Cat just does not like the other three cats in the house and i cant really contain her anywhere in the house...  im comfortable with her on the porch because i can keep a close eye on them and they are safe there... she is taking very good care of the baby and i have a scale i can use to check its weight...  i got some milk supplement for it and have fed it though it didn't really want it...  i think its getting milk from Baby Cat but i will keep feeding it too until i know for sure all is okay...   thanks for all of your help and suggestions...  they are all being taken very seriously...  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been posts about cats having milk come in to provide for another cat's kittens after the cat's human thought her milk was dried up.  Also, like human mom's, the milk will increase production as the kittens grow and need more.  It's pretty amazing.

Keep the updates coming.

Last edited:

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
kitten and Baby Cat are both doing good this morning...  i found the kitten attached to a teat and eating this morning...  i fed Baby Cat some of the milk supplement and some steak in addition to the regular feed i do for all the outside kitties...  ill try to give the kitten some supplement in a little while and weigh it but i think its going to do fine...  it sure looks fat and healthy...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though your cat was very far along when her pregnancy was terminated, and therefore her mothering instincts had already kicked in. It also sounds like she has milk and is caring for the baby. Since the baby appears healthy, there is no need to supplement. Give the kitten formula to the mom cats to help them produce good milk, as you've done! Give the moms lots of wet food and kitten chow too! Post a picture when you can. I think it's sweet that this spayed mom needed a baby to raise. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby Cat and Kitty are doing great!  Umbilical cord is gone this morning.  It has gained a half ounce since yesterday (from 3.8 to 4.3 ouces)!  My husband talked to our vet, who is a friend and with whom my husband plays golf, yesterday and he said she was pretty far along in her pregnancy and the baby sucking will cause her to produce milk.  He said some cats will steal kittens and that's likely what she did!  She was hell bent she was gonna have her a kitty!  I have been giving the milk supplement to Baby Cat along with red meat, can food, and kitten chow, and anything else she wants! Hopefully, this is her one and only baby and she doesn't kidnap any more kittens!  I think it's kind of sweet too that she wanted one so bad she stole it!  The other mama cat could have brought it to her as well because she may have had too many to take care of herself.  She is a small cat too and she was huge.  I'd get her fixed if I could touch her.  She comes to eat around Baby Cat and this kitten every day but not once has she gone over to that kitten so she didn't want it I don't think.  He is healthy and Baby Cat is happy so I'm good to go!  I'll try to get a photo of them today! 

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry she was spayed that late though. Anyway, I am glad she has a little one of her own to raise now. I do have to question that the Vet proceeded when Baby Cat was about to have them. I don't know it just rather upsetting to me.  Did they let you know she was that far along?

starla65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby Cat was too young and too small to have kitties.  I had another one who was pregnant like that and not able to deliver all the kitties and did not show signs of being sick until it was too late and she had to be put to sleep.  I did not want the same thing to happen to Baby Cat and I chose to abort the kittens not the vet!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby Cat was too young and too small to have kitties.  I had another one who was pregnant like that and not able to deliver all the kitties and did not show signs of being sick until it was too late and she had to be put to sleep.  I did not want the same thing to happen to Baby Cat and I chose to abort the kittens not the vet!
I think you made the right choice. You could try a humane trap to catch the feral mama.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just in my opinion but if you had a previous cat put to sleep due to pregnancy complications why on EARTH did not you immediatley fix this cat as to prevent a pregnancy altogether..