Spay Surgery Question

Asphodel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All, I would really appreciate some feedback considering it’s the first time I’ve been through this. My 5 month old kitten Kallie got spayed on Friday it’s been 2 days and I believe her incision is healing ok a bit dry but nothing out of the ordinary ( I will include a picture).

Also since yesterday I have been noticing some weird noise coming from her throat at time like a “purr/gurgling” sound. At time is sounds like she wants to cough something up but she will just swallow and be back to normal. Her meow has also been sounding hoarse. Will be calling the vet on Monday anyway but these sounds have been very disconcerting and I get very nervous every time I hear them. She is eating, drinking just fine. Has been playful especially when I take her cone off for supervised feeding time and to just give her a break from it.

Will appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asphodel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if she is feeling sick perhaps? If it were me, I'd call the vet now. But that's just me.
Unfortunately they are not open today, it does happen sporadically from what I’ve noticed and seems to happen only when she’s purring or while grooming herself once. Doesn’t happen every time and the coughing only happened once yesterday.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happening only once doesn't sound too bad. I'd call the out of hours service, but I'm a very worried daddy!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that hearing it once doesn't sound too bad. It might be that the throat is sore from wearing the cone? One of mine kept running into things with it, and I had to switch cones so he didn't hurt himself. Aside from that, it could be a relic of the procedure itself and anesthesia. I know humans can be hoarse after surgery because of intubation, (where the doctor puts a tube in to keep the airway open,) but I don't know if they do this for cats. Did your cat fast before surgery? Maybe she just had an upset tummy during procedure or from the after effects of the anaesthesia, and threw up a little. This or straining to can make the throat sore.
Overall, I'd wait and watch today. If it worsens, or if new symptoms appear of sickness, you should take her to emergency care or email your vet at the very least. If not, she's probably ok. Hope she feels better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asphodel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that hearing it once doesn't sound too bad. It might be that the throat is sore from wearing the cone? One of mine kept running into things with it, and I had to switch cones so he didn't hurt himself. Aside from that, it could be a relic of the procedure itself and anesthesia. I know humans can be hoarse after surgery because of intubation, (where the doctor puts a tube in to keep the airway open,) but I don't know if they do this for cats. Did your cat fast before surgery? Maybe she just had an upset tummy during procedure or from the after effects of the anaesthesia, and threw up a little. This or straining to can make the throat sore.
Overall, I'd wait and watch today. If it worsens, or if new symptoms appear of sickness, you should take her to emergency care or email your vet at the very least. If not, she's probably ok. Hope she feels better soon!
I believe she was intubated for her spay not sure but I’ll be sure to ask. Definitely watching her today and other than her meow/purr sounding different she hasn’t coughed again so far.