Spay surgery incision question

Katherine Gomez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone 👋
I am new here so I’m hoping I’m doing this right and I’m able to get some peace of mind. I rescued a stray cat and got her spayed last week Thursday January the 18th. It’s 5 days now and this is what her incision looks like. Does it look normal? I’m new to having a cat and it’s midnight where I live so just want to ease my mind a little. I will be calling where I got her spayed in the morning.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks normal to me! there is bound to be redness and even a little swelling, she has trauma to her inside. The main thing to watch for is spreading redness, and drainage. A little clear liquid, maybe mixed with a little blood is fine, any drainage that is thick, opaque, yellow, white, or green, is not good. One thing I always look for in cats to judge their health is how they are acting. if she is acting pretty normal, (maybe sleeping a little more) using the litter box, eating and drinking, everything is fine. If she develops a fever she will most likely stop eating. It is not unusual for them to lose their appetite for a few days following a spay, tempt her with lickable treats, like Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. So far so good! PS if you have doubt you can always take in a few pictures or send them to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katherine Gomez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks normal to me! there is bound to be redness and even a little swelling, she has trauma to her inside. The main thing to watch for is spreading redness, and drainage. A little clear liquid, maybe mixed with a little blood is fine, any drainage that is thick, opaque, yellow, white, or green, is not good. One thing I always look for in cats to judge their health is how they are acting. if she is acting pretty normal, (maybe sleeping a little more) using the litter box, eating and drinking, everything is fine. If she develops a fever she will most likely stop eating. It is not unusual for them to lose their appetite for a few days following a spay, tempt her with lickable treats, like Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. So far so good! PS if you have doubt you can always take in a few pictures or send them to the vet.
Thank you so so much for your response. How would I know when a cat has a fever. Are the signs no appetite? Also she got out of her cone last night and she messed with her incision. I ordered a onesie that way she doesn’t feel as uncomfortable but now I’m scared she got have gotten infected since she licked her incision. I apologize for the questions. First time cat owner haha.

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Katherine Gomez Katherine Gomez and a warm welcome to the forum !

Sorry for your wait......no one seems to be around this afternoon (well, afternoon here :lol:)

It looks OK to me - she's just licked off the scab.

I don't think that will cause any infection. Keep an eye on it, if there's ever any 'gooey discharge', if it becomes really warm to the feel or if there's any foul odor.....then, take her in to the Vet.

I would put the cone back on until you get the onecie.

Were you given any pain meds after the surgery? She could be licking because of pain/discomfort, or it might just be the normal healing process which can cause itchiness at the incision site.

Keep us posted................meantime, how about more pics............of the rest of her?:lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will be fine. I have never used a cone, or anything else, and they were all fine. When cats are sick with a fever she will stop eating and start hiding.

Katherine Gomez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Katherine Gomez Katherine Gomez and a warm welcome to the forum !

Sorry for your wait......no one seems to be around this afternoon (well, afternoon here :lol:)

It looks OK to me - she's just licked off the scab.

I don't think that will cause any infection. Keep an eye on it, if there's ever any 'gooey discharge', if it becomes really warm to the feel or if there's any foul odor.....then, take her in to the Vet.

I would put the cone back on until you get the onecie.

Were you given any pain meds after the surgery? She could be licking because of pain/discomfort, or it might just be the normal healing process which can cause itchiness at the incision site.

Keep us posted................meantime, how about more pics............of the rest of her?:lol:
Hello thank you so much I’m so happy to have found this website. I will keep an eye on all of that as of now she seems fine and the onesie should be arriving by tonight. Hopefully she’s way more comfortable. I do have pain medicine for her I was nervous in giving it to her because when I did the day after she was going absolutely crazy jumping on everything and I wasn’t sure if bc she was pain free? Would it be best to give her some? Hahaha 😂 yes you’re right let me show you a picture of my sweet girl.

Attachments

Katherine Gomez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will be fine. I have never used a cone, or anything else, and they were all fine. When cats are sick with a fever she will stop eating and start hiding.
Okay, again thank you so much. You have given me more peace of mind. I’m a worrier so it really helps. ☺

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! What a absolute sweetie! I love her expression: "YOU! LOOK HERE! Get this thing off me neeeowwwwww!"

.... I do have pain medicine for her I was nervous in giving it to her because when I did the day after she was going absolutely crazy jumping on everything and I wasn’t sure if bc she was pain free...
That kind of reaction to a pain med is more likely an adverse side effect and an unwelcome one, especially after such an invasive procedure as an ovariohysterectomy. I wouldn't be using it again. And, frankly, at this point she is very likely pain-free. Her facial expression shows no sign of discomfort, I think she's fine.

Until recently, the commonly-used pain meds for spays produced a much more appropriate side effect, sedation......perfectly acceptable for a recovery room environment. Of late, drug manufacturers have opted to "improve" the tried and true by making them long-acting and easier to administer - so, now we have long-acting and easier to administer (transdermal and "spot-on")........except that the new side effects are agitation, excitation and delirium that continue for days! Just lovely.

Anyways, ask away! This place is for questions............and pix, of course!