Spay Options

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
My little Aggie is going in on Monday to be spayed, and she is my first girl kittie so I'm a bit overwhelmed by the different options, and trying to make the best decision for her. The last 3 guys I adopted were from the shelter, and were fixed before I got them so I didn't need to be worry about it. Plus I don't think it's as invasive of a surgery for the boys, as it is for the girls.

I am being given an option of whether I want the surgery done with a scalpel or laser (additional $96) and whether I want to go with the basic anesthesia package or upgrade (additional $63). The difference in the anesthesia is isoflurane is used for the basic package and sevoflurane is used with the upgrade.

I'm completely at a loss on what the best options for these are? In your opinion, or experience, are these 2 upgrades worth the additional cost? Aggie is roughly 6'ish months, if that helps or changes anything?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm already a nervous mama over the surgery, even though I know it's routine.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found this article in lay language Types of Anesthesia - All Feline Hospital located, 2300 S. 48th St. Suite 3 Lincoln, NE 68506 This vet practice also uses both options. The sevoflurane works faster and they recover quicker. There is a little less system wide absorption. This practice mentions the difference in price. They said that they sometimes use the sevoflurane to induce unconsciousness and then switch to the cheaper gas. It doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two. I personally would always opt for a laser procedure with anything. There is less bleeding because the laser cauterizes as it cuts.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go with the laser surgery. It seems to speed up recovery and healing time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help! I had tried to google the differences between the 2 anesthesias but ended up getting confused.