Spay/Neuter...when?

mellow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cat will not be getting pregnant at 8 weeks or 12 weeks. So, why spay her then? Why, not wait?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mellow

I cat will not be getting pregnant at 8 weeks or 12 weeks. So, why spay her then? Why, not wait?
They can get pregnant at 4 months (or even earlier?) and it's best done before the first heat, for health reasons. If you wait you run the risk of the cat coming into heat and not only does that increase the chances of her getting mammary cancer (or pregnant!) but you and she have to suffer the frustration and annoyance of an unnecessary heat cycle. If a cat isn't going to be used for breeding it's best to get it done as soon as it's safe to do so, imo.

They seem to recover quicker when they're younger too, from what I've heard.

mellow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand where everyone is coming from. However, I do doubt by waiting to 6 months you cat is going to get mammary cancer. But, if it’s safe to do it at 2 months then okay and especially if your cat will be outside since I now find out they can get pregnant at 4 months.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I understand where everyone is coming from. However, I do doubt by waiting to 6 months you cat is going to get mammary cancer. But, if it’s safe to do it at 2 months then okay and especially if your cat will be outside since I now find out they can get pregnant at 4 months.
Yes, but if you do wait, you risk "life getting in the way". I've heard oh too many times people are going to spay their cat at 6 months, but someone ended up in the hospital, they forgot, someone got laid off their job/fired....etc. If you spay early, it's done. No more worries. And no more unwanted kitten filling shelters or euthanized.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yes, but if you do wait, you risk "life getting in the way". I've heard oh too many times people are going to spay their cat at 6 months, but someone ended up in the hospital, they forgot, someone got laid off their job/fired....etc. If you spay early, it's done. No more worries. And no more unwanted kitten filling shelters or euthanized.
This is pretty much what happened to me. I FINALLY had Gizmo neutered last Thursday and he's a year old. He was actually suppose to have it done when he was 7 months but it turned out at the time he had some kind of infection and they couldn't do until it cleared. Well the infection cleared after a week but other things were going in my life at time and I just kept putting it off.

I'm just glad it's finally done and over with. It's amazing what a difference it makes. Gizmo is much calmer and I believe happier cat now.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I understand where everyone is coming from. However, I do doubt by waiting to 6 months you cat is going to get mammary cancer. But, if itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s safe to do it at 2 months then okay and especially if your cat will be outside since I now find out they can get pregnant at 4 months.
I am so glad that you do understand, but there are cases of mammary infection, cancer, and uterine infection to worry about. It can happen at any time without much warning. If a cat is spayed before her 1st heat cycle, it Drastically decreases the chances of mammary cancer or infections, and once her uterus is out, no worry for uterine cancer or infecton. I have had kittens spayed at 10-12 weeks for many years, and they are all up bouncing and playing the same day. However, I have also spayed a young female, under a year of age, who was to be a first time queen, who did get a uterine infection, it got so bad, she didn't respond to medicine, she had to be with our vet for 2 weeks, and this "may" have been a rare case, but I have heard too many horror stories. Plus in an average circumstance an older cat does have to be more sedated, larger incision, longer recovery time. It really just has so many benefits associated with spaying at an early age, prior to 14 weeks. In my signature is 7 year old, who was neutered at 12 weeks, with no prior or current health problems, ever. None of the associated myths, regarding anesthesia, vets are schooled, and know to give a kitten lower dosage, we have been with our vet for 5 years, and never have we had any issues.
Please spay and neuter, and if you decide to wait until what some call the "average" at 6 months, just please set aside a fund just for the spay or neuter and if she does have a heat cycle before spay, please keep a close eye and not let her outdoors.

mellow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

Please spay and neuter, and if you decide to wait until what some call the "average" at 6 months, just please set aside a fund just for the spay or neuter and if she does have a heat cycle before spay, please keep a close eye and not let her outdoors.
FamilytimeRags

If youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re referring to me. No worries. My cat has already been spayed because I understand the importance of it being done.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, waiting till 6 months wont mean they will get mammary cancer, but reduces the risk by 200 times, and cats are very good at escaping when they are in heat, so there is a chance of pregnancy, and as the others have said, life might end up getting in the way.