Spay/Neuter Prices

nyghthawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is, I am guessing, one of the reasons why there are so many cats in my area...

I contacted a number of vets in the city closest to us for a price quote for Lilith and her kittens after they're born. This is the first reply I've had so far.

"Vaccines need to be done prior to spay, which means two visits would be 
required. You can sign an early release waiver to bring her home after her 
spay on the same day if you so choose.

The prices are as follows:

Vaccination for an adult cat: 149.84 (includes tax)
The spay can be done 10 days after the vaccination appointment.
Spay: 260.58 (includes tax) + additional fee if the in in heat when she 
comes in: 66.67 (includes tax)

We are in the midst of a price increase. As long as you bring in this email, 
these prices will be guaranteed to you."

Many people love animals and want to do what is right, but this is very high. Far higher than I expected. I had my dog done after her first heat and it cost me $200. 

I guess it's now a case of waiting to see what other prices we are quoted. I had a recommendation of one clinic that does the surgery for $60. I'm waiting to hear from them, as well as the others.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a local Humane Society? Mine will do neuter/shots for $50, spay/shots for $75. You may also ask any rescue organizations near you which vets they use. I would also try looking up spayusa.org.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, do check around for prices. I know prices are higher in Canada, but that price for vaccines is practically extortion :eek:. Vaccines cost a couple of dollars a dose wholesale, and while I don't begrudge them a reasonable profit, that's just ridiculous. My vet charges $30 for rabies and FVCRP (I refuse the FeLV vaccine).

The price for the spay is high but not as horribly marked up as the vaccines. My vet charges $95 for female cats.

As for having to make 2 trips. . .that's better for the cat. it really isn't healthy to get vaccines on the same day as surgery. It sure is inconvenient if you live out of town though :/. I will get cats vaccinated at the same time as surgery if they're only going to get to the vet once (ferals, etc.) but it is better to space them if possible.

Are there any smaller towns with vets in reasonable driving distance? In my experience, big-city vets charge a lot more than small-town vets.

Hope you hear back from the $60 clinic! :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyghthawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a local Humane Society? Mine will do neuter/shots for $50, spay/shots for $75. You may also ask any rescue organizations near you which vets they use. I would also try looking up spayusa.org.
I'm in Canada. :-)
The local Humane Society here in town doesn't spay their cats before adoption..I checked. 

I'm waiting to hear back from a number of other clinics, too. Some did say it will take up to four days to hear back from them.

Lilith still has a week or two to go before giving birth, so I have some time yet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several cats spayed and it was just under 200.00 for that and the vaccinations. 1/2 of that for a neuter. I keep hoping they'll give me a 'volume' discount' but none so far!

nyghthawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Place #2:

Our prices for cat spays and neuters are as follows:

Spay (less than 1 year of age) $270.64
Spay (over 1 year of age) $327.14
Neuter $157.64
These prices include all taxes and pain meds - animals are not kept overnight unless they are being declawed.

Please keep in mind that we do require all animals to be fully vaccinated 2 weeks prior to any surgery.  We do offer a muliple pet discount for vaccinations.  Our vaccinations are $99.95 (which includes taxes and examinations)
Additional vaccinations done on the same day would be an additional $26.00 per pet (no exam fees, although the animals are all examined)  Vaccinations are 'core' (the main regular one - all upper respiratory illnesses) and rabies.

My husband contacted another one that is smaller..$285 for spay, $215 for vaccinations.

nyghthawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, do check around for prices. I know prices are higher in Canada, but that price for vaccines is practically extortion
. Vaccines cost a couple of dollars a dose wholesale, and while I don't begrudge them a reasonable profit, that's just ridiculous. My vet charges $30 for rabies and FVCRP (I refuse the FeLV vaccine).

The price for the spay is high but not as horribly marked up as the vaccines. My vet charges $95 for female cats.

As for having to make 2 trips. . .that's better for the cat. it really isn't healthy to get vaccines on the same day as surgery. It sure is inconvenient if you live out of town though :/. I will get cats vaccinated at the same time as surgery if they're only going to get to the vet once (ferals, etc.) but it is better to space them if possible.

Are there any smaller towns with vets in reasonable driving distance? In my experience, big-city vets charge a lot more than small-town vets.

Hope you hear back from the $60 clinic!
HI, Willowy!

I don't mind making two trips. It's a long drive..2+ hours each way, but worth it. It's simply the base cost I'm being quoted that is making me choke. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy moly! The prices in Canada are so expensive compared to the US! I can't believe the HS there does not spay/neuter before adoption. :(

nyghthawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy moly! The prices in Canada are so expensive compared to the US! I can't believe the HS there does not spay/neuter before adoption.
The one in the next town does. So do the ones in the city. This one doesn't. I don't know why. :-( But before we took Lilith, I was in touch with them...they are filled up with cats and we were ready, willing and able to adopt. We have seven children (youngest are 4 year old twins) and an older, cat-friendly dog. They told us that the cats they currently have are not socialized with children or dogs and we were thus turned down. 

nyghthawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've had several cats spayed and it was just under 200.00 for that and the vaccinations. 1/2 of that for a neuter. I keep hoping they'll give me a 'volume' discount' but none so far!
LOL!
I wouldn't mind a discount price, considering I'm looking at doing multiple cats at once! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could ask about quantity discounts. . .you never know! If you can't get any decent price quotes, pick a few that appear to be privately owned one-vet practices, and ask to speak to the vet directly and explain the situation. Sometimes they'll help out. But the receptionists aren't authorized to make those decisions so you have to talk to the vet.

nyghthawk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could ask about quantity discounts. . .you never know! If you can't get any decent price quotes, pick a few that appear to be privately owned one-vet practices, and ask to speak to the vet directly and explain the situation. Sometimes they'll help out. But the receptionists aren't authorized to make those decisions so you have to talk to the vet.
If all else fails, I will be. I'm waiting on a few places yet. Then I get out the phone book and rack up long distance fees to contact the ones that don't have an online contact.

Spoke to the in-laws today about Lilith. I was told that if one comes out with Siamese markings, my mother in law wants that one. I know she has a preference for that type of marking and consistently takes one kitten from each litter of a moggie that belongs to a friend of hers. It's usually a male. As I told my husband, it's going to burn her biscuits if there is one and it comes to her already fixed.

I realize they have a farm and that comes with the attendant rodents. However, I will still do my absolute best to ensure no more kittens come of Lilith or her little ones.