SPAY INCISION

peytonm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, fellow cat lovers! i’m new here, and i am hoping to receive a little insight on my cats spay incision. she was spayed five days ago, and i have been keeping an eye on her since. today, i took her to get seen at the spay clinic and have them check her incision because it looked concerning to me when i checked this morning. they gave me an antibiotic to put her on for seven days, and told me not to worry too much, the lump is just “built up fluid.” it is several hours later and this is what her incision looks like now. it looks slightly opened to me! and it’s somewhat bloody again, as it was this morning. should a trip to the ER be made tonight??

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I'd go to the ER vet because better safe than sorry. In the meantime, if she will let you hold a warm clean cloth to it (dip a washcloth in hot water, squeeze out the water and hold until cool). That might help with the swelling and discomfort along with encouraging it to drain. But she should be seen by a vet, that's more then normal swelling to me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like it is probably a seroma (serum build up), except that is it much larger than I'd expect to see. I'd take her in just to be on the safe side. I don't see angry redness or pus at all, which is a very good thing, but...it's big. Take her in.