Spay incision look ok?

4Skraggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

New here! And for certain new to cat care! Just wanted some insight on how you guys think this spay is healing?

It's now been 13 days since the surgery (including day of). This is of a community cat, Skraggles, that I've been feeding since July of last year. Let's me pet her but is super flighty and she is the target of the other 2 cats I have been feeding, Chan (M,1yo) and Mumzie (F, apprx. 5 yo).

Skraggles has 3 suture layers. Vet says the first skin layer seems to be compromised. But I can't get an answer if that is ok or not?

The image where it's closed was taken 6 days post op. The other one, where that first layer of suture is open is from today. It's hard to tell in that imagine, but I think that's the thread? It appears blue? They've comfirmed that they don't see infection. Nor do i see or smell it.

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First picture looks like great healing, second picture is concerning in my opinion. In a kitties initial recovery, an open wound is not a good sign. Please consult a vet asap! Best of luck! 🩷

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4Skraggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First picture looks like great healing, second picture is concerning in my opinion. In a kitties initial recovery, an open wound is not a good sign. Please consult a vet asap! Best of luck! 🩷
Thank you for the input. It does look better day by day. But, I see where you're coming from. I just don't understand how it came apart.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the input. It does look better day by day. But, I see where you're coming from. I just don't understand how it came apart.
So glad to hear it’s looking better!!!! I think her being a neighborhood kitty could potentially be the reason it’s not healing as well as a fully indoor cat. I’ve had stray cats in my life when I was living with my parents and the weird ailments / injuries were astonishing! You’re a good cat parent! Thank you for caring for your local strays. 🥹🩷

4Skraggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So glad to hear it’s looking better!!!! I think her being a neighborhood kitty could potentially be the reason it’s not healing as well as a fully indoor cat. I’ve had stray cats in my life when I was living with my parents and the weird ailments / injuries were astonishing! You’re a good cat parent! Thank you for caring for your local strays. 🥹🩷
Omgsh thank you for your optimism. But yes, even with it being exposed it visually looks better today than yesterday. Doesn't really lick at it at all and i try to prevent Chan from chasing her off when i can. But yes, i agree! Her being a community cat will not give her the upper hand at healing. I can't do anything for her but feed her well and help her not to run and jump too much. I think she limits herself when I'm not around, but during feeding time i think she sees the most stress.

Oh my gosh. You couldn't be more right. I am besie myself with grief and stress. I've had to put down the brother and sister to Chan within a month of each other (dec and jan) due to fluid build up in their little bodies from FeLV. And it has been devastating. So, I'm just extra scared for Skraggles. I'm an easily stressed and impatient person. She just needs some time.

4Skraggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omgsh thank you for your optimism. But yes, even with it being exposed it visually looks better today than yesterday. Doesn't really lick at it at all and i try to prevent Chan from chasing her off when i can. But yes, i agree! Her being a community cat will not give her the upper hand at healing. I can't do anything for her but feed her well and help her not to run and jump too much. I think she limits herself when I'm not around, but during feeding time i think she sees the most stress.

Oh my gosh. You couldn't be more right. I am besie myself with grief and stress. I've had to put down the brother and sister to Chan within a month of each other (dec and jan) due to fluid build up in their little bodies from FeLV. And it has been devastating. So, I'm just extra scared for Skraggles. I'm an easily stressed and impatient person. She just needs some time.
Sorry posted it before I was done.

Thank you for that. I didn't know what i was getting into when i felt bad for them and decided to feed them and give them shelter for the winter. 🥹🥺❤‍🩹

4Skraggles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YAYYY!! What a good kitty! Healing looks great! Hoping the healing continues! :catrub:
I know is a sweetheart!!! Thank goodness wow. It looks better, right?? I had to cut the thread (17 days post surg) because she had managed to pull more of it out! Thank you so much!