Spay Incision is freaking me out

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi will your vet allow you to send these pictures in to them? The second one where she's a little folded over doesn't look too bad, but the first one is the one I'm wondering about.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: It actually doesn't look bad, although there is some 'puffiness' around the incision (maybe?), but curious about that 'hole'. Could be outside sutures that have dissolved (or broken) but the inside ones are holding firm. There doesn't seem to be any seepage, but still, it would be helpful to see what the vet thinks, at least through pics, if not an actual vet followup visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D.C.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually had a very hard time keeping her calm the first day after. The office was so rude. They said “if you had a hysterectomy and played tennis, that would also be on you”. Meanwhile I was trying to keep her in a small area I had made with a cone on and she was breaking loose. So I got a large dog cage and put all litter and food in it with a blanket and it has been perfect. So from 30 hours after surgery until now (8 days later) she has been completely restricted. Wish they had told me that from the beginning. They are closed today so I will call tomorrow. I am just dreading their response! They made me feel so irresponsible!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sadly seems to be the case with so many vets - they always have the caretaker to blame if something is not 'right'. The thing is to tell them you are not looking for admonishment for the past, you are looking for help with the current. It is their job to provide that. It doesn't matter how you got where you are, it matters what they do as professionals to help you get beyond where you are it. Do not forget that!!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It actually doesn't look too bad to me. The puffiness is fluid and scar tissue forming. That should go down over time. It doesn't look like it's infected or weeping, which is good. If possible, I would try to find a different vet who has friendlier and more helpful staff.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually had a very hard time keeping her calm the first day after. The office was so rude. They said “if you had a hysterectomy and played tennis, that would also be on you”. Meanwhile I was trying to keep her in a small area I had made with a cone on and she was breaking loose. So I got a large dog cage and put all litter and food in it with a blanket and it has been perfect. So from 30 hours after surgery until now (8 days later) she has been completely restricted. Wish they had told me that from the beginning. They are closed today so I will call tomorrow. I am just dreading their response! They made me feel so irresponsible!!
Is there any way, that you could get a little bit of a clearer photo, of that 'opening'...towards the bottom of the incision?
(It looks a bit clearer on my phone, but when I increase the size on my computer, it's a bit blurry.)

I think what you are seeing is a possible 'seroma', which forms when healing, and the fluid seeps into any available spaces which are present, between the layers, underneath the skin layer, in the sub cutaneous layer.
It also could just be a 'reaction to the absorbable suture' material that the Vet used, too.

I cannot believe that the office person would say that to you...Omg...that IS so rude.
Umm...I would have been in a bit of shock,...then stunned,...then angry...after hanging up.
Wow.

I don't think fast enough,...but it would be nice to have a 'come back' for this particular staff member.
Something like, "Well, I have not yet taught my kitten tennis, yet,...and yes, Wimbledon is where the money is...so naturally your idea sounds fabulous."...Yup, sarcastic and rude, with a touch of crazy...is just what that office person needs. :crazy::p;)
Probably not. (But in my head they would deserve it.) :paperbag:

How old is your kitten?

It sadly seems to be the case with so many vets - they always have the caretaker to blame if something is not 'right'. The thing is to tell them you are not looking for admonishment for the past, you are looking for help with the current. It is their job to provide that. It doesn't matter how you got where you are, it matters what they do as professionals to help you get beyond where you are it. Do not forget that!!!
"...you are not looking for admonishment for the past, you are looking for help with the current. It is their job to provide that. It doesn't matter how you got where you are, it matters what they do as professionals to help you get beyond where you are it..."
:yeah: ...This is just the wisest, best advice, and 'level-headed, helpful reply' ever. :cloud9:

(I kind of wish that we all had a FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ...on 'speed-dial'...so that when in tough situations, like this, we can just call them up.:think: :cool2: :wink:
And I would not mind paying for the hour, call, or...simply....the brilliant response. :agree:
It would 'shut the rude staff up quicker'...than me just glaring at them. :eek2: :evilgrin: :oops: ;)
Remain calm, collected, and 'stay in the present' situation. :cloud9:
Calmly assertive.

(Maybe that 'staff member'...needs some 're-training'...on how to talk to worried cat guardians/clients.)

Just a great thing to remember,...and to say...too. (can be used in so many, many situations.) 😅
(this is going up on my 'motivational wall'...now,...too.) :thumbsup:

D.C.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I already called a new place. They were so nice, assured me that animals act in ways we cannot control, offered the advice of the dog cage, and even wrote an Rx for a mild sedative (if I needed it, which thankfully, I did not!) I will be using them from now on!
Thank you for your advice. I was shaking on the phone bc I was already worried and then I was angry on top of it. I wish I had thought about kitty tennis … that made me laugh! I am going to try to get her to let me take a calm photo closer up!

D.C.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Isla is 17 weeks. We are exactly 8 days post spay

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, really sorry you received such an unprofessional response from the office.

Second, it does to my eyes look like a seroma has developed. Nothing to be alarmed about. My girl developed one and our vet, who is fantastic, said it's not uncommon (although never told me about it, lots of vets seem to forget to mention this). Basically nothing needs to be done other than waiting for it to go away though warm compresses on it for 5-10 minutes 2x a day will help bring it down. My cats started about a week post-spay and she had it for several weeks but it did disappear completely.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I already called a new place. They were so nice, assured me that animals act in ways we cannot control, offered the advice of the dog cage, and even wrote an Rx for a mild sedative (if I needed it, which thankfully, I did not!) I will be using them from now on!
Thank you for your advice. I was shaking on the phone bc I was already worried and then I was angry on top of it. I wish I had thought about kitty tennis … that made me laugh! I am going to try to get her to let me take a calm photo closer up!
Isla is 17 weeks. We are exactly 8 days post spay
That's great that you've found another place,..where the staff sound way more reasonable...and actually know that our animals do things,..that yes, we humans cannot control. :)
Plus, they sound like they know how to talk to their human clients.

(I did have one long ago Vet, that I saw for a day, actually get so peeved, when I asked him, "how many animals he had." I thought that was a reasonable question, and didn't think it would cause him an issue. He said none, but then went on some sort of lecture tangent. Oh, boy,...I just wanted to walk out, but my cat was still in the back. Needless to say, I never went back. His prices were double what everyone else was charging for vaccinations, so it actually worked out better, even if he was closer to home.)

I actually think it's always good to have more than a few places,...for Vet services,...just in case one place is closed, or hard to get an appointment for, Vet goes on holidays, etc.

Yeah, that was very inconsiderate of that staff member, to say that to you. I would have been totally angry too.
And like you said,..we don't just call up our Vet offices, for no reason at all.
When we are worried, we expect the staff to be professional and helpful.

Your cat Isla is only 17 weeks. (4.25 months)
Oh, wow, she must be adorable. :blush:
That's the age where kittens are like 'whirlwind storms'...and then just tire out...and sleep wherever they are.
Feel free to post some more photos, of her, whenever you have the time.

There's no way, at that age, that I could ever even think of keeping a kitten calm.

(my two cats were 5.5 months, when they had their spay and neuter surgeries. The Vet did not send them home with any cones, or tell me to confine them. Basically, I was just sent home with some pain meds, for three days for the female kitten,...and told to watch the incision site for any seepage, white or yellow discharge, redness, etc.)

(I thought my kittens would sleep for two days. Nope. After four hours they were hungry, and then proceeded to play and run.
I did try to restrict them somewhat...but each time I'd place them in a room, or separate area, they'd just go on and find things to play with.)

I hope your Isla heals fast.
I think I read that it's anywhere from 7-14 days for some cats, to heal.
Sending mega Health vibes for your Isla...:vibes::vibes::catlove:

D.C.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's great that you've found another place,..where the staff sound way more reasonable...and actually know that our animals do things,..that yes, we humans cannot control. :)
Plus, they sound like they know how to talk to their human clients.

(I did have one long ago Vet, that I saw for a day, actually get so peeved, when I asked him, "how many animals he had." I thought that was a reasonable question, and didn't think it would cause him an issue. He said none, but then went on some sort of lecture tangent. Oh, boy,...I just wanted to walk out, but my cat was still in the back. Needless to say, I never went back. His prices were double what everyone else was charging for vaccinations, so it actually worked out better, even if he was closer to home.)

I actually think it's always good to have more than a few places,...for Vet services,...just in case one place is closed, or hard to get an appointment for, Vet goes on holidays, etc.

Yeah, that was very inconsiderate of that staff member, to say that to you. I would have been totally angry too.
And like you said,..we don't just call up our Vet offices, for no reason at all.
When we are worried, we expect the staff to be professional and helpful.

Your cat Isla is only 17 weeks. (4.25 months)
Oh, wow, she must be adorable. :blush:
That's the age where kittens are like 'whirlwind storms'...and then just tire out...and sleep wherever they are.
Feel free to post some more photos, of her, whenever you have the time.

There's no way, at that age, that I could ever even think of keeping a kitten calm.

(my two cats were 5.5 months, when they had their spay and neuter surgeries. The Vet did not send them home with any cones, or tell me to confine them. Basically, I was just sent home with some pain meds, for three days for the female kitten,...and told to watch the incision site for any seepage, white or yellow discharge, redness, etc.)

(I thought my kittens would sleep for two days. Nope. After four hours they were hungry, and then proceeded to play and run.
I did try to restrict them somewhat...but each time I'd place them in a room, or separate area, they'd just go on and find things to play with.)

I hope your Isla heals fast.
I think I read that it's anywhere from 7-14 days for some cats, to heal.
Sending mega Health vibes for your Isla...:vibes::vibes::catlove:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! This is Isla. A beauty even in her cone!
Yeah, your Isla is gorgeous !! :loveeyes:

The cone makes me think a bit about Royalty,...I don't know why.
Perhaps because Isla does resemble Cate Blanchett...in the movie 'Elizabeth'...with those high necked collars.
'Princess Isla'...you could call her, when she has the cone on. :blush:

She has beautiful blue eyes, too.
And I forget how those kitten ears look slightly big,...but then kittens seem to grow so fast and balance out.
She looks very strong and muscular, too.
This is her with her emotional support sloth. 😭🤣
She looks so long, and happily sleeping, and dreaming. :cloud9:
Could be laughing and smiling, too. :blush:
yeah, I think we ALL could use 'an emotional support sloth'. :crackup::lol:
But cats and kittens are far, far better, than any cute teddy bear sloth, would be. :lol:

Fantastic photos. :thumbsup:
Thanks so much. 😊

Last edited:

D.C.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Isla is my emotional support sloth 😂😂😂. So an odd update: a girl at my gym has a hubby who is a vet (who knew?!) I sent pictures and he said it lools like suture reaction. Apparently after spay it looks great but within days, the body reacts to the sutures. The swelling occurs (like y’all suggested) and will eventually reabsorb… he said even the outer layer can open and a stitch can become visible. He suggested if I wanted to be cautious to apply triple antibiotic ointment (which I did like a maniac) and he is going to clear a spot to see Isla tomorrow!! Thank you all for everything. This was a godsend for my anxiety!!! Princess Isla is sleeping and probably well along the route to recovery!!!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Isla is my emotional support sloth 😂😂😂.
:spew:I am going to start calling my male cat...my emotional support sloth, too, now. hahaha.

(My female cat is way too chatty, and energetic to be called a sloth.
She is much more in line with being a princess...like your Princess Isla.
We humans, here, are only allowed to serve...and get all sorts of different flavour foods,...only served at 'specific room temperature'....when my Princess cat Tepaul decrees. :blush: 🛎👑👑)
So an odd update: a girl at my gym has a hubby who is a vet (who knew?!) I sent pictures and he said it lools like suture reaction. Apparently after spay it looks great but within days, the body reacts to the sutures. The swelling occurs (like y’all suggested) and will eventually reabsorb… he said even the outer layer can open and a stitch can become visible. He suggested if I wanted to be cautious to apply triple antibiotic ointment (which I did like a maniac) and he is going to clear a spot to see Isla tomorrow!! Thank you all for everything. This was a godsend for my anxiety!!! Princess Isla is sleeping and probably well along the route to recovery!!!
Super excellent,...about that girl at your gym,...and her husband being a vet. :thumbsup:
(wow, just one more positive reason...to join a gym...not just for the exercising, but to also meet interesting people, too.)

The only way you would have known that her husband was a veterinarian, would be...if she actually wore a work-out t-shirt...or had a gym bag...saying, "I'm married to a veterinarian"...:blush:...because if it only said "vet"...that could mean a whole different thing.
Or if she wore that clinic's name, on her t-shirt...as advertising, etc. :cool2:

(Maybe suggest that to her, next time you see her.
Hmmm...or maybe not...since there would probably be a whole gym of people...just going up to her, and asking her things...while she's happily trying to work out, and relieve stress. :sweat:
Even 'noise cancelling' headphones, might not help. 🤔)

That is awesome, though, the way some things happen. :)

If you do have the time, later, or whenever,...please update us...on how your Princess Isla is doing. :bluepaw:

It's also good to actually go to a Vet, since even if it is just a Seroma, or reaction to sutures....having a good Vet...that will actually feel the incision site, and could also feel for any lumpiness, or fluids, etc,...will be so much better and thorough, than just seeing photos.
Touching and feeling, is what the Vets are trained for,
and can tell a lot. :greenpaw:

Sending more mega Health vibes...for a speedy recovery for your Princess Isla,...and her cute friend, the sloth. :blush::vibes::vibes::kitty::bluepaw:

(PS...Is she named after an island...or the actress Isla Fisher?)