Spay incision advice

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like the post says I need some advice . I just recently got my female cat spay last Thursday . So it been about 6 days and tommorow will be one week since her spay . The thing is I’m kinda lost when it comes to this stuff and I did receive instructions . But they were hard for me to understand since I was tired . I stay at the clinic the whole time while she was there .

But anyhow I’m trying to figure out how I should go about cleaning her incision . I’m cluessless and new to all of this . I do better if someone shows me or explain it in great detail . If you try and make it short and sweet I might not understand it . But they didn’t do none of that just gave her to me . Took my money and gave me some papers to go home on and some pain meds . And that’s it

They didn’t inform me about why I shouldn’t get the incision wet . Or anything and told me I can use dial soap . So I figured that meant to clean the incision area . Which I found out I wasn’t supposed to just apparently around the incision . Which to me doesn’t make any sense lol I get keeping it clean and dry part and even checking it daily . I’m just lost at why the person that did the spay didn’t have me come to the side or back to inform of everything . Not hand me papers and take

My money and send me home . Also can you use neosporin on it also cause they told me over the phone I could . But idk if it made it worse cause I read a bunch of different sites online saying not to use it on glue or it will deslove it . Same thing with getting it wet . Anyhow any advice or tips would be so kindly appreciated right now .

So far she’s eating a lot and sleeping a lot and using her litter box she seems fine but I did notice some redness there so idk

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just call the vet and ask?
When my girl got spayed, there was no instructions to clean the area. We just made sure she couldn't mess with the stitches for a few days and then after that, check it daily to make sure it was not getting infected. It's better for the area to be kept dry and I'm not so sure neosporin is necessary or even helpful.
Redness can just be the normal healing process. Things to look out for are inflammation, a warm feeling to the skin, discharge/odor or bad bruising. If none of those are present most likely she's healing fine.
Again, just call the vet. That's what they are there for. Or at least ask someone at the front desk - they surely will be able to get a message to the vet or even advise you themself. No reason to sit around worried for a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I figure someone was gonna mention the vet . I called my vet and they told me they can help me since I didn’t get her spayed through them lol and another i don’t wanna deal with the clinic no longer cause I feel like they aren’t helping . It might just be me lol also she won’t get in her carrier for me to even take her to the clinic lol she fights me on it . Cause I locked her in her carrier over night and she got mad lol so now when I try and put her on she fights me and cries lol also what about scrabbing should I remove it or just leave it

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also I figure someone was gonna mention the vet . I called my vet and they told me they can help me since I didn’t get her spayed through them lol and another i don’t wanna deal with the clinic no longer cause I feel like they aren’t helping . It might just be me lol also she won’t get in her carrier for me to even take her to the clinic lol she fights me on it . Cause I locked her in her carrier over night and she got mad lol so now when I try and put her on she fights me and cries lol also what about scrabbing should I remove it or just leave it
Never, pull off a scab. It will fall off when it's ready

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay okay thanks for that cause I didn’t know if I should remove the scrab or just leave it . Cause the paper says not to let it encrusted with debris . Also how long did u leave the cone on for ? Just wondering and thanks

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scabs aren't debris.

We used a surgical recovery suit. No cone. It worked fine for her.

And please, never lock a cat up in a carrier. No wonder she freaked out. If you ever have to do this again, put the cat in a small room such as your bathroom to contain them to a smaller space, but not have them forced into confinement that is uncomfortable and stressful for them, especially right after surgery when they still have anesthesia in them and aren't acting normally.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well I only went by what the spay clinic told me to do . And I didn’t do it when they told me either . Cause I know she was gonna flip her wig lol she don’t mind her carrier at all it just being confinded I get it . Idk why they told me that for . I did try locking her in the bath room the first night . That wasn’t fun she kept me up cause she was dragging her cone cross the floor trying to get it off . So finally I have it tried to do a onies and wasn’t having that . So after trying I finally gave up and put her cone back on and left it . She’s doing a lot better now thankfully I just don’t want her opening incision .

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly if it's been a week already, most likely she doesn't need to wear the cone anymore. Why not try taking it off and keep a close eye on her to make sure she's not messing with the stitches. Pretty sure ours only wore the suit for a week, if that. We got lucky that she pretty much ignored her tummy.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ll try that tommorow when I’m awake and see . Cause she likes to stretch out and groom herself I’m hoping she will leave that area alone Lol

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Why don’t you post a picture of her inscision? Don’t clean it at all. Never use dial soap or any human soap on a cat. The pH balance is wrong for their skin and the perfumes can be toxic to cats. Don’t use neosporin it can also be toxic to cats. Just leave it alone. When the cone comes off, she will clean it herself. But, do post a picture.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I just saw your reply yeah I think I might need to post a pic of the incision . She picked off the scrab again . She doesn’t do it herself . The cone always scraps against it and removed the scrabs . Now I think it could be opened
IMG_0010.jpeg

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I’m trying to keep it clean I did use a little warm water earlier with a q tip to clean around it a little but not the incision . Idk I thought about taking her in tommorow . Or even today using a Uber but she will not get in her carrier . Even if I put treats in there for her idk what to do . If I call the clinic they will want me to bring her in . When I can’t cause she won’t get in the carrier . Also I wish they would have never told me to use dial also . I’m just following what’s on the papers they gave to me . And my vet won’t help since I didn’t have them do the spay

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The spay incision looks fine, there's absolutely no need for you to try and clean it or to touch it at all. Please just leave it alone. Your cat will clean it herself, but if you try to clean it or remove any scabs before they're ready to drop off you risk making her bleed. This will slow down the healing process and could even lead to a secondary infection.

Just leave it alone, she'll heal up fine by herself.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I’m so sorry I’m really really so new to all of this . Guess I’m just a nervous wreck when it comes to her . I talked to the clinic that did her , they said to scrub all that away and use warm water and dial soap even mention to use dawn dish soap and told mw to use a mix of surgar and neosporin

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I talked to the clinic that did her , they said to scrub all that away and use warm water and dial soap even mention to use dawn dish soap and told mw to use a mix of surgar and neosporin
Good heavens! I've never been given that kind of post-spay advice! The best thing to do it to leave it alone, as Norachan Norachan said.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much lol got a question why is it most vets of you go somewhere else to get your cat fix they turn on the cold shoulder for ? Just cause you didn’t go with them lol also she has a two ft tall cat starcher / all bed . I was told to restrict her but was wondering would it be ok just to let her have her bed lol Jw

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's quite understandable that they don't want to deal with another vet's patient. It can create all kinds of problems for them.
She can have her bed, but not if she has to climb to it.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She little lol even for a year old . But how does it create a lot of issues ?