Spay/heat question

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a momma and her 3 kitties. The kitties are about 10 weeks old and so I took everyone in to be spayed/neutered. I noticed the night before I took the Momma in that she was beginning to display some of the signs of going into heat and sure enough - the vet confirmed this when they did the spay.

Anyway - here is my question. How long should it take for this momma's system to realize that she is no longer having a heat cycle? I am asking because the "heat meow" has not stopped. She was spayed yesterday and I did not get a lick of sleep last night.

One of the other foster people that I work with said that since the momma is a tortie - that they are just vocal that way.

Any suggestions for this? I live in a condo and she is so loud I am worried about her keeping my neighbors awake as well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a month for hormones to be out of a male's system. Might be a few weeks to a month for the female. How talkative was she when she had the kittens and was nursing them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

It takes a month for hormones to be out of a male's system. Might be a few weeks to a month for the female. How talkative was she when she had the kittens and was nursing them?
I do not know. The original owners surrendered her and her babies last weekend. I have only had her since Sunday.

She is also attacking her babies, not play like at all. I have had to separate them. When she is not yowling, she has a low continuous growl going. The only place I have to keep her separate from everyone is my bathroom and she is clawing up the inside of my door!

I want to help and I love fostering but I am not sure that I can handle this situation.