Spay Complications

Thistle_Demo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, so I'm not sure if anyone can help me. My kittens got spayed a week ago. It was part of the contract with the adoption place so we did the spay and vet visits through them. Two days after the spay one of my kittens (Thistle) got lump off to the side of her incision and was clearly in pain. They told us to wait it out 5 more days because they thought it was just fluid build up or at worse a hernia. But we wound up taking her to a different urgent care early instead because we knew she hadn't been active and something was wrong. It turns out it was a terrible infection that needed to be surgically drained, flushed and infected fat removed. We wound up going back to the spay/neuter clinic because they would take care of her for free vs a trip to the ER being thousands of dollars. But now, 3 days after her most recent surgery she is shaking, has a fever and not eating again. Idk what to do. The ER visit will cost me twice my rent plus more days missed from work to watch her but I don't know if I can trust this clinic anymore. Does anyone have any knowledge about what could be causing this or what I should do? I just want to do what's best for her, she seemed traumatized after the last surgery and money is tight but I just want to make sure she's okay. Also here are a couple photos of the original infected lump and then her belly now.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, and welcome to the site.

I don't know if I can trust this clinic anymore.
That photo with the greenish little shirt is a definite indication that you can't, I'm sorry. She's likely in pain, and her life may be at risk if this continues.

Does anyone have any knowledge about what could be causing this
I'm not sure the how is important at this point, but it's definitely this;
a terrible infection that needed to be surgically drained, flushed and infected fat removed.
See if there's a way that you could work out a payment plan - I realize you're working so there might not be anything here, and since there has been more requests and less funding these aren't always available anyway, but I'll post it just in case;

Financial Assistance Information | Network Partners

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are in this position. If there is a possibility that a regular practice vet could see her, that would be a little cheaper. You said that this was done through the adoption service, but a vet should be able to get the medical records from them as health records for an animal legally belong to the owner.

If the third picture is "now" and I am understanding you, this is serious and she needs help. A payment plan is worth asking about, Care Credit is another way to go.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite Articles
Some of the above does not apply to you, but there may be a couple of ideas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have regular vet of your own - any neighbors, relatives, friends, co-workers with a vet they rely on? Sending pics to any of these options might be enough to get your cat seen. If your own vet, maybe they would be willing to work with you on a payment plan. Maybe you have family or a close friend that would loan you the money?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thistle_Demo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! Wanted to say thanks again to everyone that replied. Reading the comments really helped calm my nerves. ❤ For anyone interested in the update, we did go to an emergency vet yesterday. She confirmed that Thistle still had an infection despite the antibiotic and second surgery meant to clean the wound. From what others have told me I think the bruising is normal from the second procedure (it's a lot on such a small baby), but to still have an infection after that is very abnormal since it means her first antibiotic didn't work. The vets strongly advised she needed a third surgery despite everything and that we return to the spay clinic to do it. So we were sent home with a different antibiotic and better pain meds to wait and see the clinic. After seeing the clinic today it seems as though everything is actually improving. Maybe the new antibiotics are working? But she is eating and walking and her fever has gone down slightly so I'm inclined to believe them. So we were sent home again. I still ordered a culture in case the infection comes back and we need a specific antibiotic but the whole situation is just so insane. I've never had/heard a spay/neuter go wrong like this and my whole family have always been cat people! Really hoping she won't need a third operation and this is just her recovery time now. 🙏 Also for those commenting to find a primary vet for her, that's the first thing I'm doing once we all catch our breath again. Bouncing her between all these vets with a stack of paperwork has been a nightmare.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this thread is a couple months old but I am hoping that T Thistle_Demo may jump back on here (if they see this in their email) for an update on that baby. I'm glad things were improving. Just hope she didn't need another surgery and the new antibiotics helped.

Thistle_Demo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I'm sorry for this late reply. So much has happened that I wasn't even sure how to respond. But the overall news is that Thistle survived it all and is (as far as we can tell) thriving!! 🙏🙌 She did need a third surgery (the latest antibiotics were working but then her body had started to attack the sutures due to the reaction from the infection so she needed new external ones put in place plus a pump). It was like night and day comparing her after the second surgery and after the third. Right after the second I thought she'd never trust another human again. We picked her up from the third and she was sitting in my lap trying to explore even with a pump sticking out of her side. It was amazing, they really took exceptional care of her at the emergency clinic. Soon after the pump was removed she was essentially better! After everything we had a bit of a kidney scare but that latest test looked good and she's going to have her blood checked again in a few more months. I think the whole thing was very traumatic for her, honestly for all of us. She was a little neurotic for a while (running away whenever we opened the door cause she didn't want to go to the vets, just kinda twitchy and anxious grooming, didn't want to be held) but we tried hard to build a routine again and make her feel safe and things are almost completely back to normal! She's a very loving cat, both her and her sister are, it pained me to see her so suspicious and hurt after that first spay and second surgery. ): Honestly, I don't care if I need to take out a loan or whatever it takes in the future to make sure they're truly being taken care of. Oh, and they finally have a primary clinic now! Haha, I'm sorry, that was really long. I just didn't want to leave you guys with all the uneasiness and questions that we had been feeling back then. But she seems good! Happy, playful, loves being held and sitting in laps, not as scared of the door opening or associating treats with meds. Things feel good here, and she's amazed us with her strength and resiliency. Thanks for the help, and comfort during a hard time. Hope everyone is doing well and if anyone needs someone to talk to about some pet surgery/vet trauma I'm around to listen. This site is still linked to my email. ❤

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T Thistle_Demo please don't apologize for the length of your post. Honestly it wasn't long at all. Your post was very informative about her update. I am so glad she is ok. I was worried about your baby girl. I'm glad she isn't as skittish now. I'm extremely glad she has healed from everything. Poor thing I could only imagine how you guys as her pet parents and how she felt going through everything that she had to endure. I can't imagine how you guys coped with your baby going through everything and she had to have been such a little trooper.

Omgoodness looking at her now you'd never even be able to tell she went through everything she went through. She looks so happy too.
Thistle is absolutely adorable!!!
Again thank you so very much for the update. I joined the site in June so I came in late that's why I posted and was hoping for a response (a good updated response) I am so happy for her. I bet you guys are ecstatic she is better and getting back to her normal self again.
Again thank you for the update. Thistle is a strong little girl. She endured so much.
Do they know what caused that infection in the first place??

Thistle_Demo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T Thistle_Demo please don't apologize for the length of your post. Honestly it wasn't long at all. Your post was very informative about her update. I am so glad she is ok. I was worried about your baby girl. I'm glad she isn't as skittish now. I'm extremely glad she has healed from everything. Poor thing I could only imagine how you guys as her pet parents and how she felt going through everything that she had to endure. I can't imagine how you guys coped with your baby going through everything and she had to have been such a little trooper.

Omgoodness looking at her now you'd never even be able to tell she went through everything she went through. She looks so happy too.
Thistle is absolutely adorable!!!
Again thank you so very much for the update. I joined the site in June so I came in late that's why I posted and was hoping for a response (a good updated response) I am so happy for her. I bet you guys are ecstatic she is better and getting back to her normal self again.
Again thank you for the update. Thistle is a strong little girl. She endured so much.
Do they know what caused that infection in the first place??
Thank you. ❤ Yeah, we really are so lucky. One of the most frustrating things is thinking about how much time was wasted just trying to convince people she needed help and to examine her. But I try not to be too sour about that. She really is a cutie and is also a complete weirdo. XD we did do a culture but I actually never asked what exactly it was. Is that crazy? To be honest by the time it came back it was clear she was getting better and the vet just told us the antibiotics she was on would treat it. That was all I ever cared about so I let it rest. 😅

Thistle_Demo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and this is kinda random, but for anyone in a similar situation, that bruising is NOT normal. It went away in a single night after starting the right antibiotics. 🙏 also a random tidbit, but watch out for the dosages of gabapentin prescribed to your kitten. The spay and neuter clinic prescribed us too high of a dose according to the emergency clinic we saw after. Thankfully we only gave her one but it could've been dangerous.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we did do a culture but I actually never asked what exactly it was. Is that crazy? To be honest by the time it came back it was clear she was getting better and the vet just told us the antibiotics she was on would treat it.
Honestly no it isn't crazy at all.. all you really cared about was her getting better and she was. I would have been the same way about it.. shes getting better.. thats all that matters.. The cause was irrelevant at that time because the antibiotics she was on was helping.. I am so happy she wound up healing I feel bad that she had to endure everything she did. That is so sad how some vets just don't care... it is like we as the pet parent know our little fur babies better than anyone. If I say something isn't right then something is not right and they need to look into it..

Anyway I am very happy that Thistle is doing so well especially considering everything she went through. I think she is lucky you took her in to the urgent care before those 5 days were up. She is so lucky to have you. I am very glad she is getting back to her normal self.. it is sad that everything she had went through made her skittish but at least you guys were patient and showed her extra love and support to get her feeling comfortable again. What a sweet precious little lady.

What was the doseage of gabapentin they put her on?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
For future reffrence, you should look for a AAHA acreddited clinic. They have very strict guidelines they must meet to be acreddited.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for letting us know the outcome; often members come back to these threads and wonder how things turned out. And thank you for your willingness to be available if anyone is in the same situation.

She looks fantastic, as if nothing ever happened. You were her hero and helped her to survive this terrible experience.