Sparkling Cat Pee

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my kitty goes to the bathroom, she *sometimes* leaves behind a sparkly, salt-like substance in her urine. Initially, I freaked out and took her to the vet, along with a sample I'd scooped from the box to show them. They did a urinalysis and said she was fine, crystals were within a normal range, and no UTI. They said I could put her on a Hills (I think that was the name?) prescription diet, but that it was probably just from stress because we were moving at the time.

Fast forward to now (like 6 months later), the other day kitty peed on my bathmat. She doesn't do this regularly, only if there's an issue with her box, and I had taken the box apart to wash it out and it was drying at the time. So she went on the mat instead because the box wasn't available. I noticed when I stepped in a wet spot (thanks kitty), but when I looked closer, the salty-looking sparkly stuff was there?? So I took her to a vet here in our new city (she doesn't really have a regular vet here, partly cause we're moving again in a few months, and I haven't found anyone here that I like and trust). The vet I took her to didn't know what it was, but suggested another urinalysis. I'm hesitant to do that because the last one came back totally normal! Wth?? That's two vets that didn't know what the sparkly stuff was now, both brushed it off as nothing and the second said maybe it was mold or something that developed after she peed. Is this just a normal appearance in cat urine? Because I don't think it is.. but I could be wrong.. She eats wet food and drinks water, acts normal, and doesn't seem to be in pain using the litter or anything. Also, what can I do to make sure she doesn't have a UTI/etc? Should I get the prescription dry food we were recommended last time? She hasn't gone outside of the box again, like I said she only went there because I'd taken her litter apart to wash out and hadn't filled it with fresh litter yet.. And the sparkly stuff isn't there every time, only sometimes. The first vet had told me it must've been sparkle stuff in the litter itself, but obviously it's in the actual urine if its turning up on my bathmat..

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've only heard of sparkles or glitter in urine in connection with a urinary tract infection, so if it were my cat, I'd get another urinalysis done. She may have a very low-grade infection that flares up occasionally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What should I be asking for as far as medication or something to stop the potential UTI?? I'm gonna take her in this week..

The last vet was not very useful and only suggested that I put her on the prescription food. When I ended up purchasing the food (which was freaking expensive, btw), she wouldn't eat it at all, so obviously nothing got done. I'm gonna go this afternoon and buy the Purina Urinary food on my own and see if it helps (she loves Purina) so hopefully she'll eat that in place of the kibble snack I leave when I'm gone during the day.. but is switching to urinary food all they're going to tell me to do? Or is there meds or something I can ask for? Should I try her on the urinary food for a week and then take her in?

I called a local vet (different one) and their office didn't know anything about sparkly pee (none of them seem to??) but said the same thing, urinalysis and to just change the food..

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Any medication would depend on the urinalysis results. It's been so long that I don't recall what Jamie was given for a UTI. He had struvite crystals and was on prescription dry (several brands in rotation, because he wouldn't eat just one brand; Royal Canin Urinary and Hill's c/d were two of them) and ordinary wet food, because he wouldn't eat the prescription wet.

One alternative to prescription food is an acidifier, i.e., a paste added to regular food. I didn't have any luck with that, because Jamie hated the taste.

You don't want to put her on any special food or meds unless crystals are confirmed by a urinalysis, though.