Southern California people...I need to find Felix a new home

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HelloEvo, don't take this wrong. I volunteer at a small county shelter. For four wonderful years, we haven't had to euthanize because of overpopulation. This year, we had to. I was the one to choose those cats. It is all on my shoulders, and I cannot tell you how difficult that was for me. Many others here also volunteer at shelters and know the hearbreak of wonderful animals being pts because there aren't enough homes. That being said...

I really do hope that Felix can find a good home. If this lady doesn't work out, have you talked to kluchetta? I'm glad you are being so careful about finding a home for Felix. I do so hope you can find one where you are able to visit. I know it doesn't take long to fall in love with cats. Hopefully, sometimes in the future, you are able to be blessed by having another cat in your life. I know I am in college & I chose my college so that I could live at home so I didn't have to leave my kitties. That may not be an option for you, but it was(thankfully!) for me. I'm sorry you have to loose Felix, but I know someone out there can give him a wonderful home.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

There is no way you can guarantee having the ability to do that. As much as I love my cat, I can't guarantee that, because I have no idea what the future holds. Realistically, you can't guarantee that either.

In addition, the "you kill cats every time you rehome one" argument could go may ways.
I have absolutely no idea where I will be in one year from right now. I'm only 21 and getting ready to finish school...who knows where I'll be. But what I DO know is that I will do literally everything- short of being illegal -to keep my cats should my situation every change. I am 100% sure of that. All pet owners should be.

Every time you give up a cat, you're adding a cat to the 6-8 million homeless animals, half of which end up being euthanized each year. 50%...those aren't great odds. And even if you privately rehome the cat, which is WAAAAAY more preferable to putting a cat into the shelter system, that's one less home for a shelter cat.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Evo, I am hoping that you are able to find Felix a wonderful,loving, and permanent home.As for asking the $800 for him, as I said before you will MOST likely NOT get that for him.I know I for one, would never pay that much for a cat..........I don't care what breed it is.

lionessrampant, this statment has me both curious and concerned.
Every time you give up a cat, you're adding a cat to the 6-8 million homeless animals, half of which end up being euthanized each year. 50%...those aren't great odds. And even if you privately rehome the cat, which is WAAAAAY more preferable to putting a cat into the shelter system, that's one less home for a shelter cat.
What I get from it, is that you SHOULD NOT rehome a cat or EVEN consider getting one from a shelter as it will ONLY harm any and all cats.
So, since I rehomed all 5 of my orphan kits, I then knocked 5 shelter cats out of homes?
So are you saying that it is better for ALL cats involved to have them PTS to insure that SHELTER cats get homes? Shelter cats have NO more right to love than a owners cat. ALL animals have the right to be loved and have a home.

I have absolutely no idea where I will be in one year from right now. I'm only 21 and getting ready to finish school...who knows where I'll be. But what I DO know is that I will do literally everything- short of being illegal -to keep my cats should my situation every change. I am 100% sure of that. All pet owners should be.
What if your pet decides to attack a child?What if you are severly disabled and can't care for your pet?What if you become homelesss?What if your parent becomes deathly ill and you have to care for them and can't keep your beloved pet?
Unless you have the gift of sight into the Future, you are NOT able to say without a shadow of a doubt that YOU will NEVER be in the OP place.

I think we all need to STOP and put ourselves in Evo's place BEFORE we post!!! How would you feel is you were to come to strangers and ask for help, only to have it thrown in your face how incapable you are as a pet owner? He feels attacked and is ONLY trying to find his cat a home.Atleast he ISN"T throwing the cat outside to fend for hisself!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

What I get from it, is that you SHOULD NOT rehome a cat or EVEN consider getting one from a shelter as it will ONLY harm any and all cats.
So, since I rehomed all 5 of my orphan kits, I then knocked 5 shelter cats out of homes?
So are you saying that it is better for ALL cats involved to have them PTS to insure that SHELTER cats get homes? Shelter cats have NO more right to love than a owners cat. ALL animals have the right to be loved and have a home.

What if your pet decides to attack a child?What if you are severly disabled and can't care for your pet?What if you become homelesss?What if your parent becomes deathly ill and you have to care for them and can't keep your beloved pet?
Unless you have the gift of sight into the Future, you are NOT able to say without a shadow of a doubt that YOU will NEVER be in the OP place.
Those are extreme acceptions. If you are disabled, homeless or injured obviously you have no choice. But going to school is not an excuse especially when he just bought the cat 2 months ago. There are plenty of options for the him and if not, he can temporarily place the cat with someone for the semester until he can get his own place or SOMETHING. I went to school and I moved and I did this with 5 cats. Unless I fall over dead tomorrow, or I get hit by a car and am disabled my cats aren't going anywhere.

And that is great that you raised 2 orphan kittens and rehomed them yourself, that is completely different situation then what we are talking about here. You took in some helpless kittens to care for temporarily until they are old enough ot rehome, this person bought a cat only to turn around and sell it for a ridiculous amount of money only 2 months later for an avoidable reason or at least one that is not that hard to work around. I am not going to say easy because many times it isn't.

And I can say that without a doubt I will never be in the OPs place and have to rehome my cats unless I am physically incapable of caring for them due to an injury or illness.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do think it's not so nice to jump on Evo's case about him trying to rehome Felix. I'm sure it's not what he really wants to do, but he did explain why he couldn't keep Felix, and couldn't get his own apartment. I understand, where he's coming from.

I do agree that it might be hard for Evo to get the $800 that he paid for Felix, but it's not impossible. People pay that and more every day for a Bengal kitten, and the know that they will NEVER be able to breed the cat. I paid $1000 for my Simba. They wanted $1500 but I talked them down. And I knew I HAD to get him neutered, not that wouldn't have, anyway. Felix is still young, he's not a full grown cat yet, so possibly Evo can get the price he paid for the cat back.

I don't see how re-homing a Bengal cat is in any way taking a home away from a Shelter cat. The person who wants a Bengal, is probably not going to want to adopt a moggie shelter cat. I'm not saying there is something wrong with Moggies, but what I am saying is that a person who is out to purchase a purebred cat, will get the cat one way of the other, whether it be from Felix or a breeder. They aren't going to go to the shelter and get a moggie. I do know there are occasional Bengals in rescue, but I also know that they ask more for a purebred Bengal, even in rescue than they do for a Moggie. True, not $800 but more than for a Moggie, not to mention that the Bengal cat in Rescue is usually an adult cat. A lot of people want kittens or very young cats. When I bought Simba as a kitten, it was much easier to incorporate him in my household than it was bringing in an adult cat.

I also think that those of us here should be much more fair to Evo. He is trying to do the right thing, and like I said, if he can't find a proper home for him, before he has to leave for school, I'll be happy to foster Felix, for Evo

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all need to STOP and put ourselves in Evo's place BEFORE we post!!! How would you feel is you were to come to strangers and ask for help, only to have it thrown in your face how incapable you are as a pet owner? He feels attacked and is ONLY trying to find his cat a home.Atleast he ISN"T throwing the cat outside to fend for hisself![/quote]

I have been saddened by the tone of some of the postings in this thread. I truly believe he is doing the best he can. I think we need to look at this with a little more compassion and a little less judgement.

Evo I hope you come back and tell us how the search for Felix new home went and again I wish you luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helloevo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I do think it's not so nice to jump on Evo's case about him trying to rehome Felix. I'm sure it's not what he really wants to do, but he did explain why he couldn't keep Felix, and couldn't get his own apartment. I understand, where he's coming from.

I do agree that it might be hard for Evo to get the $800 that he paid for Felix, but it's not impossible. People pay that and more every day for a Bengal kitten, and the know that they will NEVER be able to breed the cat. I paid $1000 for my Simba. They wanted $1500 but I talked them down. And I knew I HAD to get him neutered, not that wouldn't have, anyway. Felix is still young, he's not a full grown cat yet, so possibly Evo can get the price he paid for the cat back.

I don't see how re-homing a Bengal cat is in any way taking a home away from a Shelter cat. The person who wants a Bengal, is probably not going to want to adopt a moggie shelter cat. I'm not saying there is something wrong with Moggies, but what I am saying is that a person who is out to purchase a purebred cat, will get the cat one way of the other, whether it be from Felix or a breeder. They aren't going to go to the shelter and get a moggie. I do know there are occasional Bengals in rescue, but I also know that they ask more for a purebred Bengal, even in rescue than they do for a Moggie. True, not $800 but more than for a Moggie, not to mention that the Bengal cat in Rescue is usually an adult cat. A lot of people want kittens or very young cats. When I bought Simba as a kitten, it was much easier to incorporate him in my household than it was bringing in an adult cat.

I also think that those of us here should be much more fair to Evo. He is trying to do the right thing, and like I said, if he can't find a proper home for him, before he has to leave for school, I'll be happy to foster Felix, for Evo
That gesture means A LOT and I thank you very much for even considering it. Someone is coming in to look at Felix soon, I'll let you know how everything goes.

Originally Posted by peachytoday

I think we all need to STOP and put ourselves in Evo's place BEFORE we post!!! How would you feel is you were to come to strangers and ask for help, only to have it thrown in your face how incapable you are as a pet owner? He feels attacked and is ONLY trying to find his cat a home.Atleast he ISN"T throwing the cat outside to fend for hisself!

I have been saddened by the tone of some of the postings in this thread. I truly believe he is doing the best he can. I think we need to look at this with a little more compassion and a little less judgement.

Evo I hope you come back and tell us how the search for Felix new home went and again I wish you luck.
Thank you for defending me
I think that, because this is the internet, sometimes it is hard to get the message across because it is so easy for something to be misunderstood. I don't blame any of the posters, i would probably do the exact same thing if i was in their shoes, but sometimes it sucks being on the other end of the gun...if you know what I mean

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Evo, it is also hard on our part too, things can sound a lot more mean when you aren't there talking one on one. You sound like you are doing a decent job trying to rehome him, maybe we don't agree with the reasons you are rehoming but at least you are doing what you can to make sure he goes to a great home.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

There are a LOT of purebreds who end up in rescues. I have seen Bengals and Persians most commonly. Just take a look on petfinder. My favorite cat at the shelter I worked at was a purebred Bengal named Snickers. She was an older kitten but definately not an adult yet. She was a great cat and was leashed trained and everything. There are not only moggies in the shelters. But that is why we also suggested he call a Bengal specific rescue.