Southern California Heat Wave = Bad For Cats

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a small window unit and put in a smaller room window where the cats can be. I do not have AC but I live in Oregon and it is 69. The high will be 72 today. The bottom floors of my home are cooler and the basement is absolutely chilly. Keep the blinds down.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a travel trailer, in the Mojave.
All week it has been 118+ here.
I have a single roof unit AC, however, it cannot keep up.
I keep all of my windows covered, it's dark in here.

Temps in my trailer are routinely around 100 during the day.
The cats, aside from getting lazy, are doing just fine, they spread out, lie on linoleum, or on the counter, or in front of a fan.
I have not seen any of them panting, not even the old longhair girl.

I do not think I would worry too much about temps in the home being in the 90s as long as there is adequate air movement, and plenty of fresh water.
Cats, afterall, are descended from desert dwellers.

The dog is the only one that needs to be hosed off on a regular basis.

If your cats overheat, you can reduce their body temp quickly by wetting their paw pads and the insides of their ears with rubbing alcohol.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arlun, is ther anyway to put something above the AC unit for shade? Think table-like, and not closer than 18 inches to the unit so it still pulls in the air. Our AC units are always in the afternoon shade (north side of the house) and it helps them work better.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, according to my step-dad, the RV guru, no.

We are, however, getting ready to wrap my roof and one side of the trailer in reflective foam in preperation for a second (window) AC.
The bad part of that is that I can only use 1 AC at a time as I only have 30 AMPS total, and I have to be able to run my fans, and refridgerators as well as AC.
The good part is that I can alternate them as they freeze up, so there will always be one pushing cool air.

As I said though, yes, it's hot inside, I don't like it, but the cats don't seem too bothered.
It starts cooling off around 6pm and the AC catches up shortly thereafter.
I'd say the trailer spends maybe 8 hours a day over 80 inside.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am not sure what the temp was inside when Meeko got sick but it was in the 80's outside. Her Sister died. They were 3 months at the time.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/HeatStrokeInCats.htm
http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...eatstroke.htma
Coco panted at my old place and I took her to the vet and put a fan on her and she was ok.
What is your Cat doing?
I'm sorry to hear that your kitties passed away in the heat
My cats are not showing any symptoms other than lethargy. They seem to eat less too in this heat. I haven't seen them pant or anything. They just sit sprawled out on the floor and sleep. My apartment can range from 85 to 90 degrees during these heat waves. I try to rub a wet towel on them but they flip out!

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's tough. It's been 111-113 for several days straight and more of the same to come. Our air conditioners are really efficient but the back of the house where the family room, living room etc are faces west so it is still hot in the afternoon and evening. It helps to keep the window coverings closed. Ceiling fans also help a lot. If you don't have ceiling fans than floor fans will also help. I like the slim tower type ones. My cats don't mess with them like they do the regular type. They will lay on the tile floor in front of the fans when they want to cool off. Also we try to avoid using the oven a lot when it is this hot as it just makes things worse.