Southern California Blizzard/Snow Storm

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope any of you who got caught in the big snow storm are doing OK. And good luck if you get hit with another round...
Hard-hit California braces for another round of snow

How often do you guys get snow anyway?...I can only assume it's closer to the never side of things.
This is unbelievable, isn't it? And here we are in Ohio having experienced a relatively snow-free winter with temps in the 40s and 50s (sometimes even high 60s!) Crazy. Stay safe everyone.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, stay safe to all of you in southern California! We never get snow on the central coast, but we are supposed to get hit with lots of rain and wind from the atmospheric river event coming on Thursday
Are you in an area that mudslides and flooding is a concern? Be safe.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you in an area that mudslides and flooding is a concern? Be safe.
Not right where we are--we're more likely to have a tree come down. That's what happened in January. We were lucky that the fence broke the fall of the tree and there was no damage to the house except a crunched gutter.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Last week there was "ice rain" ( light snow ) in Los Angeles ...❗ 🌨☃ Upper elevations here has frost on their lawns that lasted several hours . 😳
This has happened before. I remember "snow" on our lawns when I was a kid in the 1960's. Climate is always changing ...

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~ Last week there was "ice rain" ( light snow ) in Los Angeles ...❗ 🌨☃ Upper elevations here has frost on their lawns that lasted several hours . 😳
This has happened before. I remember "snow" on our lawns when I was a kid in the 1960's. Climate is always changing ...
I remember being a child in the 1960s and having some light snowfall in the suburban San Fernando Valley. Only time I can recall "snow" here in the non-mountainous part of Los Angeles.

My garden has appreciated all the rain this year.

Bill

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It feels like winter has flip flopped the norms this year. The east coast has been so warm while the west is getting all the cold precipitation. At least it hasn't been dry here; just warm.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That part of the country has been in a drought cycle for awhile now. Seems like when that breaks it goes the other way for a while.

This is unbelievable, isn't it? And here we are in Ohio having experienced a relatively snow-free winter with temps in the 40s and 50s (sometimes even high 60s!) Crazy. Stay safe everyone.
I know here in Columbus Ohio we only had a few really cold days right over Christmas. We got some snow and it was cold enough that the salt wouldn't work on the roads. I don't think they even tried to spread salt until after it warmed up a little, it would have been a waste when it was really cold.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s a beautiful day here in Southern California today. It was crazy seeing frozen rain last week. The weather is still great. We’ve just been colder with more rain than I remember before. I’ve only lived here since the late 1980’s. I like the rain and cold more than the days that exceed 100f. I hate the heat. Good thing about the rain is getting to wear trench coats and boots. I could live in boots.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That part of the country has been in a drought cycle for awhile now. Seems like when that breaks it goes the other way for a while.

I know here in Columbus Ohio we only had a few really cold days right over Christmas. We got some snow and it was cold enough that the salt wouldn't work on the roads. I don't think they even tried to spread salt until after it warmed up a little, it would have been a waste when it was really cold.
I think we got the same storm, it was 40 below wind chills, high winds, and we did have snow, especially on the 23rd of December (made holiday reservation drop offs lots of fun! :sigh: )

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not right where we are--we're more likely to have a tree come down. That's what happened in January. We were lucky that the fence broke the fall of the tree and there was no damage to the house except a crunched gutter.

WOW. That was a close one.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having an unusual winter here. While we may hit our record snowfall, the real issue is that we have been in a constant freeze then thaw cycle since November. it creates massive ice dams in roofs, heavy wet snow that is difficult to move and snowbanks that are more like ice banks three feet deep. Usually we stay frozen from November through early March, have a big melt and we are done.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The company I work for provides emergency services and we actually had to break out our snowmobiles to ferry people around the mountains a few days back. We are gearing up for the storm that is supposed to hit this Thursday/Friday. The ground is already saturated and this storm is supposed to be warm which will melt lower elevation snow. So possible flooding is incoming for southern california. We should have crews on standby from Malibu inland to Lancaster then down to Long Beach from Thursday at noon to Saturday morning.

It's not over yet.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The company I work for provides emergency services and we actually had to break out our snowmobiles to ferry people around the mountains a few days back. We are gearing up for the storm that is supposed to hit this Thursday/Friday. The ground is already saturated and this storm is supposed to be warm which will melt lower elevation snow. So possible flooding is incoming for southern california. We should have crews on standby from Malibu inland to Lancaster then down to Long Beach from Thursday at noon to Saturday morning.

It's not over yet.
That is crazy. Absolutely crazy. :( Stay safe everyone.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

It's not over yet.
I have been watching on the news that people still stranded in Big Bear and other areas are looking at getting slammed again this weekend. Up here on the central coast, our neighbors in the Big Sur area were being warned to get two weeks of supplies on hand because there's no way of knowing what the wind and rain will do to Highway 1. They may be stranded again, too.

Stay safe, everybody. :grouphug: