South American Macaw

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We went to pick up Carleton's food at the pet store this afternoon and were greeted by a lovely, brightly colored female Macaw. It's my understanding they can live up to 50 years but some have lived up to 65.

IMG_2288.jpeg
IMG_2289.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
all parrots live for a long time ive also heard its like living with a toddler :lol:plus that beak is no joke
A book I really like was written by a woman who had dogs, cats, and several birds and I believe she had a Macaw. Her cats would watch the Macaw with interest, and people were always telling her to make sure the bird was safe. She told them the cats were the ones in danger should they ever meet because of those beaks. They could break bones!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They appenently have a bite that can give a pit bull a run for its money. It makes sense though since in the wild it would be used to snap hard nuts and fruit pits.

I have heard sadly a majority of these beutiful creatures are snatched from the wild as chicks and smuggled through the black market for the pet trade.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A book I really like was written by a woman who had dogs, cats, and several birds and I believe she had a Macaw. Her cats would watch the Macaw with interest, and people were always telling her to make sure the bird was safe. She told them the cats were the ones in danger should they ever meet because of those beaks. They could break bones!
I might be fun for my two boys to create a 3 Ring Circus with a Macaw added. Though am unsure how much extra clean up work they would be.