Sound while Breathing

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My tuxedo cat purrs like a helicopter and while she's relaxing but not purring she makes a high toned "hhhhmmmm" sound when she breathes in. Do those 2 have any connection?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Sophie sometimes makes a noise like that when she's relaxed and sitting up, but if l call her name she looks up and stops. I mentioned it to the vet once and he said there's a flap at the back of their throat, and when they relax and breath it makes the noise. Sophie's always done it, but if it's just started l would have a vet check her

Sophie can relax that much she's fallen asleep many times sitting up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Sophie sometimes makes a noise like that when she's relaxed and sitting up, but if l call her name she looks up and stops. I mentioned it to the vet once and he said there's a flap at the back of their throat, and when they relax and breath it makes the noise. Sophie's always done it, but if it's just started l would have a vet check her

Sophie can relax that much she's fallen asleep many times sitting up

Wren has been doing it since I adopted her last year but doesn't do it all the time. Mostly when she's still awake and not laying down. Your Sophie sounds like my Wren about relaxing and falling asleep. She can even fall asleep and relax in some weird positions.