Sos Advice For Sick Friendly Stray

Starlion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help, I'm crying like you have no idea. But please don't take pitty on me I just want advice. Yesterday, a orange and white cat appeared while my mother was outdoors cooking sausage. It meowed, and was very friendly. It is extreamly sick, and thin looking.

We fed it supper(wet cat food), and I pet it for 3 hours. We got my dogs puppy carrier, put it on the deck and put blankets in it and on it, the cat slept there that night.

He does not appear to been grooming himself,( poorly kept coat) and is not looking very good, so we called the vet, and he has an appointment on Wednesday. My mother is worried he has feline leukemia, so she said if he tests positive she will tell the vet to euthanize him.

We have a very anxious dog, so we can't let the cat inside, despite the fact it keeps trying to get in ( it was obviously was pet, it doesn't mind the dog, wants the house and is friendly).

If the cat tests negative, he is on the WAITING list of the spca, but can't be taken yet, so what would I do in the mean time, since we are going on a three day trip next week, and I'm so confused what to do. He doesn't deserve this, he barely left the carrier today, except to poo once. I can't stop crying, because the dog also hasn't hip problems and we don't know how long she has. Help, I'm drowning in tears. And my brother walked up to me today and asked me "So are we going to kill it? How long?". It. His NAME is Decker, and he Is my beautiful little kitty.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you keep him in a bathroom until space opens up at the SPCA?

If you can share with us where you are located someone here might know additional resources in your area.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Thank you so much for taking care of Decker. It sound like he's in a pretty bad way, and really needs to be inside somewhere. Is there one room he can have for the time being? I took in a very malnourished and injured semi feral in 2015, and we gave her a small room that the other animals (then 2 dogs and 1 cat) didn't use much. I do understand the worry and anxiety over how your dog will react, especially at this point in her life, but she shouldn't be too stressed so long as she and Decker aren't interacting in any way.

It sounds to me like he urgently needs to see a vet, so you can find out what's going on with him and start treatment as needed. Is there any way he could get to a vet as an emergency appointment today?

Your vet may also know of more rescues or resources that can help you rehome Decker, if that is ultimately what you decide to do. Boarding him at the vet over your 3 day trip may be a possibility. There's a semi feral girl I care for at my pony's yard, and we've boarded her at the vet a few times following injuries (simply because we couldn't have her in an e-collar or keep the injury sites clean as they healed).

Many years ago now, I remember taking in a stray that was similarly sick. It was heartbreaking that he didn't make it, and my heart goes out to you and Decker now. I think that, whilst you can hope and pray that he'll make it, you need to also prepare yourself that he may just be too sick, or has found you too late. Remember that you have already made a massive difference to his life just by doing what you have so far.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
Adopting A Stray Cat
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could leave him in your room with dry food and water and a litter box while your gone? sorry your going through this, but a bunch of us here are going through the same thing, you obviously have a heart for the cat.
We will help you through this!