SOS! 2 Sisters need to find a loving home (near West Babylon, NY)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have an update on the cats?
The update is the post above yours, but basically it looks like they will be PTS I have had no luck with anyone or any rescue taking them thus far. I'm patient but the owners of the house are not they want to put the cats down now. The sad part is they can just come by, scoop them up, and bring them to be euthanized, if anyone wants to save these cats they need to come forward now!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So Last Hope didn't come thru, or have you not heard from them yet?  I know it's doubly hard when it's kitten season

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Last Hope didn't come thru, or have you not heard from them yet?  I know it's doubly hard when it's kitten season :(
I did get in contact with them and no luck they are full. I have tried all over long island with the same reply, I even offered to donate a few hundred dollars to pay for there care that didn't help with last hope. I don't see why nobody will just foster the cats so at least I know nobody will put them down.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think taking them in yourself is their best option at this point. 

Could you keep them as outdoor cats, providing a garage or porch for them in inclement weather?

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think taking them in yourself is their best option at this point. 

Could you keep them as outdoor cats, providing a garage or porch for them in inclement weather?
That was the first idea I had but it won't work because my neighbors house is so close to mine I can move the cats to my yard and there is nothing stopping them from wandering back on my neighbors property, I also cannot provide any outdoor shelter for them so come winter it would be cruel to them.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was the first idea I had but it won't work because my neighbors house is so close to mine I can move the cats to my yard and there is nothing stopping them from wandering back on my neighbors property, I also cannot provide any outdoor shelter for them so come winter it would be cruel to them.
OK?  Well, if they are YOUR cats then they cannot just "put them down" without your consent.  Just say you'll take them and do the best you can to keep them over there at your property.  Normally, where a cat is fed, that is where they stay.  Just think about it... It means their lives at  this point!

It's the same story all over the country, shelters and rescues are so FULL of unwanted animals they don't have the resources to help.  It's up to you.  I guess it really depends on how much you don't want them to die now.  Don't be afraid of them.  Just say "I'll take them.  They are mine."  What can they do then? 

Last edited:

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They were willing to pay the vet bills if I wanted to adopt the cats. I wanted to adopt them and make them my indoor cats, I still live with my parents and even though I can afford to bring the cats to the vet and am over 21 it's my parents house and they said no even knowing they would be PTS. If it wasn't for them the cats would have been with me already I had intentions of taking them in.

I understand if they lived in my yard with the other strays and fed them they can't be put down. But to be honest, taking cats used to sleeping inside and having no shelter for them at all, how will they survive? Then the fact if they get hurt or sick which is probable around other cats, I might not be able to catch them outside then what? Then they will be strays and if I move they will be homeless I don't have plans of staying here and if I get to move it most likely will be a no pet apartment as those are most affordable. Unless someone can build me a warm cat house or buy those dog houses that are warm even in winter, the cats have no shelter.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Winter is a few months off.  Take the cats as your own for now.

Who knows, maybe your parents will change their minds, maybe you will find a house/apt to rent that only requires a pet deposit (or you can find a roommate to share rent and who likes cats), maybe the people who buy the house will like cats and want to care for them.

Right now, you are their best option.  Worry about winter when it gets here.  Sometimes things have a way of working out for the best.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could also watch Craigslist to see if a doghouse comes up for sale.  A heat lamp could be purchased for not much $$ when winter rolls around...

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would this person be able to take the other two cats?  I know it seems a lot, but your three got along well before, so assume they would continue to do so even with three other cats.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just thought I would post some really inexpensive cat shelters for you to look at in case you do take these cats onto your property. If those people are willing to pay for vet expenses that would help you out a lot and make your parents more relaxed about the whole process. AND they might even allow you to bring them inside for the winter :cross: http://urbancatleague.org/Shelters.html

I think you are quite honorable in wanting to help these two cats. Mega vibes that this will all work out. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the cat house links, but I actually have 2 of them already that were donated and they are on bricks so not directly on the ground. Unfortunetly, when we get 3 feet of snow or heavy rain they were useless, or actually infact dangerous, the snow completely buried them trapping a cat inside for a day until I realized he was in there and dug him out, they also get visited by possums for some reason, and they get infested with slugs which make the straw all slimy and gross, not to mention the cat urine inside has made the house smell gross and there is no way to clean them. my stray cats have reluctantly ended up sleeping outside all year for the most part, I need something with an entrance higher up.  I had looked at dog houses around $300 at petsmart and they have some nice ones higher up off the ground, but the problem now is the gaping hole in the middle, heavy wind with rain or snow will blow right inside, they are built differently than the homemade cat houses with front entrance instead of the side. Mine have cat flaps installed, but these dog houses have such large entrances, I dont think there is any way to make my own flap attatched? My grandpa when he was alive was handy and could have just built me a new one custom anything I wanted, but he passed away a few years ago and I jsut dont have his talent of building one custom built to fit the needs for my property.

long read:

An update on the cats, be warned you will be angry probably after reading.

I went by today and overheard my neighbors family saying they are PTS the cats today but they never were going to tell me, im not even joking, today was going to be there death day. The most unreal part, they thought a neighbors cat was one of the 2 cats, when it wasnt, which means they almost put someone elses cat to sleep today!!!
When I told them that was not my neighbors cat, they said, "oh, she wont know the difference if her cat is gone, she lets it go anywhere outside she wont care if its gone."
<--- I felt like doing this to them. I told them, any other cats that comes by is someones pet, DO NOT do anything to any cats leave them alone around here many people have outdoor cats so yes, you will see cats in the yard, so do not trap them of you will be in trouble. I would ahve loved to report these people, but I fear they will do something to the cats so I kept my mouth shut after. I am going to tell my neighbors neighbor about what happened, but am telling her not to say anything, just to someone let these people know that is her cat so they dont try to kill her cat I guess they see it as a nuisance?

My parents agreed to let me keep the cats outside, this is only a last resort because they were going to be PTS, I would have rather liked to see them adopted and living in someone home.

Once the cats both see a vet and are healthy and vaccinated, I will bring them to my property, and hope they stay there and know to eat and not be scared away by my other strays. Its a downgrade, because even though the cats are now 100% outdoor cats (the family closed up the house forbidding me to let the cats in), they still have acess to my neighbors garage and shed that are connected so its enough to keep the rain out and a place to hide from the elements. When the cats come to my house, if they do not go in the cat houses for shelter, they will be exposed to the elements, no shed or garage to stay in here, and we have dogs next door where at my neighbors house nobody had dogs nearby. Im afraid for the cats because they have never fully lived outside so they never learned from there mom how to survive outside, they never used a cat house, and, my strays are mostly large males, and these are two runt females, whats stopping my strays from just chasing the cats off or attacking them? Another issue is theese cats only eat friskies canned food, my strays have to eat what my mom buys and what my 2 cats eat, none eat friskies, so being I dont have a job I dont nkow how I can give them friskies canned food on a regular basis, we do have dry friskies though so that they will have unlimited of to eat. Again, I did this as a last resort, I am not fully happy with how they will be living, the point is they will have a chance to live, and not be killed by people.

Now the issue is the vet bill will be around $1,300, and we need a dog house to use as a new "cat house" as mine are rotting and smelly. From 3 sisters I hear all different opinions. One says that is too much and wants to take the cats there herself, which is impossible bc the cats will not go in a carrier for her, and im afraid she will not pay for everything they need only vaccines and that is not enough if they are living outside. Another wants to help but currently doesnt have the full amount to give me. They say I might have to wait up until december for the $ and they will continue to buy food. I do not want to wait for them, they are very sneaky ppl, and I fear the longer it takes, whats stopping them from going back on there word to me? By next month I will be around $300 short of $1,300 I do not know if my parents will lend me the $300 ahead of time, but if they do I want to take the cats in, and pay with my $, so legally I am the owner so these people cannot do any harm to them, wheres if they pay the vet bill, legally wouldnt they be the owners and could do anything to them reguardless if I say I want them? I dont want to take any chances. If they want to pay me back money, then fine, but I do not want to wait for them to give me the $1,300.

If everything works out they will live outside on my property, dont know what ill do if they keep wandering back to my neighbors house. I still hope to look for a home for them, so they have better than living as strays when they used to be happily loved pets.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, reporting them would do no good... It doesn't in my home area and I have a horrid neighbor that does trap and SHOOTS cats regardless of whether or not they have a home.  Luckily, he has been stopped from this for the time being... We got new park managers and they are animal lovers and told him "NO CAN DO" on trapping and shooting people's cats.  They told him one more incident and he is outta here! 

So, you have the cats.  That is good.  $1300??  Wow... For 2 to be neutered and vetted here is just under $200!  Do they have problems or something?  That seems awfully high just for a check up and vaccinations!  Is this for everything, the food and "houses" or what?  Maybe someone here can donate some shelter or an idea of where to go to for such a thing? I know it's not what you want and you hope to find them new homes.  But, as you have seen... Rehoming 2 older cats is very hard to do.  I wish you the best!! 

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, reporting them would do no good... It doesn't in my home area and I have a horrid neighbor that does trap and SHOOTS cats regardless of whether or not they have a home.  Luckily, he has been stopped from this for the time being... We got new park managers and they are animal lovers and told him "NO CAN DO" on trapping and shooting people's cats.  They told him one more incident and he is outta here!  :clap:

So, you have the cats.  That is good.  $1300??  Wow... For 2 to be neutered and vetted here is just under $200!  Do they have problems or something?  That seems awfully high just for a check up and vaccinations!  Is this for everything, the food and "houses" or what?  Maybe someone here can donate some shelter or an idea of where to go to for such a thing? I know it's not what you want and you hope to find them new homes.  But, as you have seen... Rehoming 2 older cats is very hard to do.  I wish you the best!! 
Oh yeah I never explained the high price. Both the cats are already spayed, but they are getting the works done at the vet. Vaccines, ear cleaning, worm testing and if needed treatment, exam, possible bath, and they appear to need dental work so the rest of the cost is that, and boarding them either one or two days because after all this I don't want to let them out right away because anesthesia lasts almost a day and I don't feel safe letting them out right away.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the vet my Family already goes for our 2 cats we have, so that is why this one they do not want to go to 2 separate vets for different cats. As long as everything gets done, its worth it, it will only be this high once because the cats havent been to the vet in many years so after this they will be very healthy.