SOS! 2 Sisters need to find a loving home (near West Babylon, NY)

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need to find a home for my Neighbors 2 cats or they will be at risk for being PTS.

Heres the facts on them:

they are both around 8 years old, no older. Both are spayed, black and white females from the same litter (they groom each other too so they bonded with each other which I why I feel they need to stay together.) They are quite small so i'm thinking they are both runts.

Both almost died twice. I got them as tiny kittens when there eyes were still blue, they were locked in a birdcage outside during the Fall (cold enough for frost) with dry cat food in the middle of someones yard with dead birds and flea infestation. In other words they were taken away too early from Mom. A friend took them in but he ended up not caring for them well, one cat had a bad infection in her tail and had to get a few inches amputated. The other had a severe infection and high fever and almost died as a result of that. I ended up giving them to my neighbor who saved there lives and brought them to the vet and nursed them back to health. The cats never took well to the litterbox being up until now they never were inside a house, so my neighbor let them be indoor/outdoor but always took them to the vet twice a year for exam and once a year for vaccines depending when they need a booster shot.

They both have been living as indoor/outdoor cats, using the bathroom outside and only coming in to eat or if its bad weather (ex. snow/rain). I have tried seeing how they do indoors only and the cats basically just hid all day and first chance they saw went outside the door, they clearly are so used to being able to go out. Because of this and not seeing a vet in a few years they are due for a vet exam and vaccines update, possibly a bath and deworming too and blood tests. Except for being a little thin from being scared to come by and eat they look ok otherwise.

The cats have never been aggressive just shy, so if they get close to you like they were for my neighbor they will allow you pick them up and brush them they do not act feral.

They have been fed friskies dry and canned food all there lives, they will eat blue buffalo wilderness dry food mixed in but for the canned food I have not been able to get them to switch from friskies.

The best thing would be if someone could adopt them together and let them still be indoor/outdoor cats. I know many of you are against it, but in this special case if someone adopts them hoping they will be indoor only I cannot guarantee it and these cats need to find a home fast so im hoping someone has a safe property around there house not by a busy street with lots of shrubs and trees for hidiing places and shade so the cats can safely be outside around your property and have a cat flap installed so they can come in your house when the weather is bad or they are hungry. If you live on or near a farm that would be great that way I know they will be safe to wander, but the cats MUST be fed by you and have shelter provided and still see a vet. They hate collars but if you would like to microchip them that would be great. I can also give you the vet office they used to go to so any lost vet records can be provided.

These poor kitties have been through so much and I cant allow them to be PTS they are still young and full of life! If you live near West Babylon, NY (are code 11704)  or Long Island and are willing to drive here, please consider adopting  these 2 sisters. I do have a trap to try and get them if I cant get them in a carrier, I would need your home phone number (or cell for texting to keep in contact when I get them) and also would like to see photos of where you live so I know you  can promise me that what you say is true and will provide them loving homes. I dont drive currently so you would have to come to West Babylon to pick the cats up.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did I miss something?  If these are your neighbors cats, why are you trying to find them a new home?  Did your  neighbor move and leave them behind?  (sorry if I missed something...I read and re-read and didn't catch that part).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did I miss something?  If these are your neighbors cats, why are you trying to find them a new home?  Did your  neighbor move and leave them behind?  (sorry if I missed something...I read and re-read and didn't catch that part).
I'm sorry I should have explained.

My neighbor suddenly passed away, leaving the cats behind and nobody to care for them. I have been keeping the cats alive by going over each day to put food out, but the cats need to find a new home ASAP! My neighbor and I were good friends so her passing really upset me, but being I gave her these cats years ago now I'm a bundle of nerves trying to find homes for them. I've tried local rescues and asking around and I've had 0 luck. Now my neighbors family who came down to clean the house say the cats must go or will be trapped and PTS.

So you see why this is upsetting me dearly and a real emergency.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason why you can't take them in? I couldn't get that from any of your threads.....

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason why you can't take them in? I couldn't get that from any of your threads.....
I have 2 cats of my own already, however they are not very social and would not get along at all with these 2 kitties they are large enough they could hurt them if they got into a fight.

If I had no cats I would have adopted them immediately.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats of my own already, however they are not very social and would not get along at all with these 2 kitties they are large enough they could hurt them if they got into a fight.
If I had no cats I would have adopted them immediately.
IMHO this issue can be solved with a proper introduction....
Look, you seem desperate to find a house.... You rescued them in the first place 8 years ago.... Now they are on the streets, homeless, and about to be PTS. Chances are, you are not going to find a home for them - it is very very hard..... Hard for normal cats, let alone for special needs, older cats. You are getting near impossible. But there is YOUR home.
If you introduce them properly, it can be done - it is done over and over again, all over the place.
Do realize that what you are saying you can't do, the reason why you can't take them, is what you are asking other people to do.
IMHO the only solution to save these cats is for you to take them.... and frankly, what you said above doesn't seem at all a reason not to (IMHO). It is just a matter of introducing them properly, and for that, there is enough information right here on TCS..... We can help you save these cats :hugs:

Last edited:

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live with my Parents, I have no job and am on disability. Even if I could get the cats to get along, I have no way of getting any money to get them to a vet.

I am sorry but that is not like most people here, I cannot do it.

If people spend time and money to feed strays and these were pets, I'm sure there is people here that would be willing to help these cats, why not help them I don't think bringing cats to a vet and spending time with them at home is much work you all do that at some point anyway with your cats, and some cats are social. These cats are social with other cats, so of someone already has cats that are social too the only socializing is cat to human that needs time.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live with my Parents, I have no job and am on disability. Even if I could get the cats to get along, I have no way of getting any money to get them to a vet.
I am sorry but that is not like most people here, I cannot do it.
If people spend time and money to feed strays and these were pets, I'm sure there is people here that would be willing to help these cats, why not help them I don't think bringing cats to a vet and spending time with them at home is much work you all do that at some point anyway with your cats, and some cats are social. These cats are social with other cats, so of someone already has cats that are social too the only socializing is cat to human that needs time.
Ok.... now it makes more sense.... thanks for explaining :hugs:

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of one of the cats for anyone who wanted to see.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On my...she's a beauty.  And I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor.  Now, you say you've already checked around with all the local rescues?  Sometimes pet supply shops and veterinarians will let you post ads for cats that are needing homes there, but as Carolina stated, sounds like these two are going to be a very hard sell, especially together.   Since they are mostly outdoor cats anyway, would it be possible for you to build a little outdoor home for them for bad weather and just feed them and let them live in your yard.  I had a friend who lived near the Adirondacks (lots of very cold weather in winter) and she had some sort of thing on her porch for ferals to "winter" in that kept them warm and safe because they would NOT step foot in a house.  I would not normally suggest keeping a cat outdoors, but since you obviously love these cats, that might be an alternative.  And here is an article concerning Vet Care when you can't really afford it:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/when-you-cant-afford-a-veterinarian

I am only suggesting these things IF you cannot find someone who will take them.  Good luck to you AND to these girls

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was my first thought but that also seems like it won't work.

I already feed strays and only have one shelter that other cats already claimed, large cats, these 2 small cats won't get a chance to go in the shelter, and I can't fit any more shelters for them. Second issue is getting them to stay in my yard. I am only 3 houses down from my neighbors, however every house between owns dogs, which might explain why the cats never wandered into my yard despite them smelling the other cats and food in my yard.

These cats won't leave my neighbors property, if I move them to my yard I imagine they will just end up back on my neighbors property which won't solve the issue at hand.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a photo of the other sister. The one with the all black face is Miri, the one with the white on her face is Buglet. Buglet hardly ever comes by and catches and eats birds and mice I guess to eat.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seriously, they are really beautiful cats, Miri and Buglet :heart3: I do hope and pray that you can find loving homes for them. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's an update.

I found the house where Buglet (white face) has been going because I haven't seen here come around. I talked to the neighbor who had been putting some food out. She said Buglet is at her house everyday and sometimes she let's her inside, she also is able to pick her up which is great to hear since I wasn't able to get near her. She explained how she doesn't eat dry food only chicken and canned food, and she constantly is eating birds. I found this odd because although she is thin she isn't starving, and this cat Used to love dry food. Then my neighbor said she thinks a car hit her because recently her jaw was looking bad like it was out of place and she ate very little, this might explain why she refuses to eat dry food and is thin even though she is being fed.

I asked my neighbor why she couldn't adopt her she said they go away a lot and nobody is around to feed the cat. That's another reason they go away for the winter so the cat will have no food or shelter.

Then the other cat is having trouble eating, drooling, and is thinner than usual and bad breathe, my guess dental issues mabye rotten teeth which will only get worse without treatment.

So now if anyone adopts them looks like they'd have to spend a good amount of money on x rays and dental work which isn't cheap. This is making it near impossible to find anyone willing to do that, because if they don't the cats will eventually be unable to eat and starve and I can't give someone a cat they won't give proper medical care for.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to contact Last Hope in Wantagh and Huntington?
I sent them a long email explaining the situation, still waiting for a reply.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What happened to the third cat your neighbor had?

Another friend of my neighbors took him and adopted him, he lives with 4 other cats and 2 dogs now. I haven't been able to visit him yet to see how he is holding up, but they did bring him to the vet to get his vaccines, blood test, and exam and he had a clean bill of health.
I was just worried because these people insisted he didn't eat a type of food when he does and last I heard he begs for treats all the time, plus missing a back leg makes him slower so I hope the other cats aren't eating his food on him.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bad news. :(

I have contacted all the rescues and all except one got back to me, none of them will take in a cat or two either due to being overrun by kittens or because they feel the cats aren't adoptable which just means they can't afford the vet care they need since the cats are friendly cats that can be picked up.

The Family is getting upset about me feeding the cats due to animals going in the house so I've tried feeding outside, but in this heat with all the flies, quick food spoilage, and temps over 100F it's just not working in the cats favor feeding inside was benefitting the cats.

They want to put them to sleep, and one cat went up to them so they can literally scoop her up and take her to be put down even if I'm not there. They have almost stopes buying food for the cats as if to say "it's over" because they know I have no job to buy food.

I'm out of ideas and plans nothing worked it looks like they don't have long for this earth. I hate people who have allowed this to happen and the family who didn't help me out enough to find them homes.

Last edited: