Sorry, no picture. Breed possibilities of Zeus

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again sorry, but I cannot post a picture at this time but I'll do my best to describe him (both his behaviour and colour/markings)

Zeus was born in one of his former owners home to a cat who could best be described as a flame point siamese mix. She apparently had a history of escaping her owners home (from what I've been able to find out from the last time I talked to her). Anyway, the litter was only two kittens and the other sadly didn't survive past a week. The lady kept him until he was 4 months and stated she could not handle his "attitude". He was surrendered to the shelter then adopted out a couple weeks later. They brought him back because they could not handle him. Repeat the same thing once more and that is when I first saw him (he was just under a year old then). When I adopted him he was roughly 12lbs, very long and lanky. He is now just under 17 inches tall, 35 inches nose to tail tip, and weighs 20lbs (he's all legs and not very bulky).

His colouring is a reddish orange stripped and spotted coat with some white markings. There are also pale orange markings on the backs of his ears. His head is triangle shaped with slightly rounded large ears. He's very quiet and his meows are either very loud or more like a bird chirping. Zeus is a great climber but tends to be a bit goofy and clumsy in the house (when he's allowed outside he loves being in the trees or on the roof). He also LOVES water and is constantly knocking over the water bowls or playing in puddles.

I can definitely see the siamese blood in his head shape, but have never seen one get quite that big. Any ideas?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He got the red  ( orange ) color from his red point mom,  so that gives no clue to the father's looks.

I wonder if  someone has got an intact early generation Savannah running around loose.  because if he is truly 20 pounds and truly not at all chubby and very leggy,   that is about all I can think of.   

Possibly a really big moggy of similar type as the foundation Maine Coons,  or even a Maine Coon   They tend to be more long bodied than long legged though.

I will say I had a Siamese mix who was a very big cat.  Very long body,  very long legs,   long flat forehead.  but heavier boning than a Siamese.  and a more square muzzle.     He had reportedly come from some " breeder"  who was crossing modern Siamese with pointed moggies -- so who knows what he had in him.   but maybe just some really big domestic.   However, at 20 pounds, he would have been overweight. He was definitely chubby at 17 pounds.   He looked like he weighed more than he did.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is what our local vet was thinking as well, but as far as I know there is only one breeder within a few hundred miles (it was a kitten mill that was eventually shut down, they also had Egytpian Maus and Abyssinians). He's 4 years old now...and apparently loves the snow as we've recently found out

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grr..posted too soon.

Thanks for the reply maekaew.
  • FIXME: needs styling from "post-user-info"

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Well,  possibly this irresponsible breeder sold like an F1 or F2 Savannah  to someone who did not get the cat neutered and it got loose and mated with your cat's mother. 

Those cats can cover large distances too.  so it wouldn't have to have been sold to someone very close to you. 

It's pretty unusual to have 20 pound cats that truly are not overweight.   After the F3 generation it would be very unusual in a Savannah too.    but they definitely tend to look like they weigh more than they do.

I would love to see some pictures if you get a chance.

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try to get some uploaded to my computer asap. I've wondered many times if he is underweight being so narrow in his body. He is wormed (as are all the rest) every 2 months and has never really shown any signs of worms (but he is also housebroken and prefers to do his "business" outside).

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Why do you even care what your cat's background is? Obviously he is a mixture of all kinds of different cats, a moggy. Just love him the way he is.
Well, I didn't see anything in Faery's post that implied she would not love the cat no matter what his background, or that she doesn't "love him the way he is".  

Most of my answers to questions about breed, are that the odds are that the cat is probably a moggy with few or no pedigreed ancestors of specific breeds.   That doesn't mean I  assume the person asking won't love their cat  no matter what the answer.  

There is nothing wrong with someone being curious about their cat's background.    Many people really don't realize that cats aren't like dogs that usually are a breed or a "mixed breed" with ancestors that were all or mostly specific breeds.   so it's understandable for them to be curious about breeds. 

Or even if they realize the cat is probably a moggy,  and doesn't have pedigreed ancestors,  there is nothing wrong with someone finding it interesting to compare them to recognized breeds.   Or just wonder what their color & pattern are called.

Really  I think these questions are often because people DO love their cats so much and already know they are special and beautiful. 

Last edited:

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Why do you even care what your cat's background is? Obviously he is a mixture of all kinds of different cats, a moggy. Just love him the way he is.
Sorry, but I didn't mean to imply that I don't love my cat in the slightest. I'm just curious as to what he may or may not be.