Sorry but just gotta vent on animal rescue related charities

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this is not just in my area but our few local shelters, one of which just went no-kill a few years ago receive such little support from local governments or companies then I read this in charity watch: “If you are an animal lover you may have received a t-shirt or other unsolicited gift from SPCA International (SPCAI), a charity that states its mission as "advancing the safety and well-being of animals." One highly publicized program of the group is "Operation Baghdad Pups," through which the charity purports to assist U.S. soldiers in bringing animals from war zones to the United States. Unfortunately, this AIP F rated charity spent only 8% of its cash budget on this and other programs in 2009. Since its founding in 2006 SPCAI has grown at a breakneck rate, raising $7 million in cash contributions in 2009 alone-though this growth has come at a high cost. In addition to spending very little on its programs, the charity is operating while in multi-million dollar debt to its fundraisers.”
Our shelter folks receive such low pay, if any at all…many are volunteers…
Thanks for letting me vent…guess I’m just hurt seeing our locals pleading on FB for just a few jugs of bleach or cans of kitten food.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is not just in my area but our few local shelters, one of which just went no-kill a few years ago receive such little support from local governments or companies then I read this in charity watch: “If you are an animal lover you may have received a t-shirt or other unsolicited gift from SPCA International (SPCAI), a charity that states its mission as "advancing the safety and well-being of animals." One highly publicized program of the group is "Operation Baghdad Pups," through which the charity purports to assist U.S. soldiers in bringing animals from war zones to the United States. Unfortunately, this AIP F rated charity spent only 8% of its cash budget on this and other programs in 2009. Since its founding in 2006 SPCAI has grown at a breakneck rate, raising $7 million in cash contributions in 2009 alone-though this growth has come at a high cost. In addition to spending very little on its programs, the charity is operating while in multi-million dollar debt to its fundraisers.”
Our shelter folks receive such low pay, if any at all…many are volunteers…
Thanks for letting me vent…guess I’m just hurt seeing our locals pleading on FB for just a few jugs of bleach or cans of kitten food.
I hear you. This is what I have been trying to say. Our kill shelters are full, our rescues are slammed, and we have ferals up to our eyeballs. That is the ugly truth. What's not to understand? Charity starts at home....... LOCALLY. So donate volunteer, adopt and foster! We have so many people that give so much , working a ton of hours for nothing but the satisfaction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ya I’m thinking we should March and protest! I write all the time to city and county commission the amount of money no kill shelters save them but no, we are building another round-a-bout!

But when I think what these little shelters could do with just a crumb of what these CEO’s get for running these charities I cry.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get it ,but sometimes I find it better to shoot them an email and see what reply I get.They almost always get back it maybe positive or neutral but always gives me some information of some kind. Maybe it will sink in .Otherwise, I feel I am better off just doing what I can do(and there is a lot to do) in my own little of the world. No one going is to do it for me or anyone else here, but there are plenty of cats that need help one way or another.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I quit donating to World Wildlife Federation a few years ago after receiving a very slick brochure from them, and noting the very prestigious Park Avenue address listed. I then checked to see what percentage went to causes, and what went to overhead. It was obscene.

I also learned that donations to ASPCA and AHS via the central organizations do NOT go to individual shelters. So now I donate smaller amounts to local (and a few in other states) directly, knowing that it WILL go to animals in need.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I quit donating to World Wildlife Federation a few years ago after receiving a very slick brochure from them, and noting the very prestigious Park Avenue address listed. I then checked to see what percentage went to causes, and what went to overhead. It was obscene.

I also learned that donations to ASPCA and AHS via the central organizations do NOT go to individual shelters. So now I donate smaller amounts to local (and a few in other states) directly, knowing that it WILL go to animals in need.

I donate and do cat work locally. 1. They really need the help both financially and in man power 2. I am more comfortable in my knowledge of the organizations here.

Last edited by a moderator: