Sore on cat's mouth- need ways to heal?

aonecatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just noticed a small scab on the side of my cat's mouth- where he likes to rub against things like cardboard boxes.  I am wondering if anyone else has found a cure for this?

I am wondering if it could be from a nutrient deficiency of some kind?  He likes to lick plastic and rub against things.  The doctor thought he had IBD from throwing up and the runs- but once I read a great article and put him on a wetfood only - fancy feast pate- with limited or no wheat gluten, corn, soy, etc- he healed immediately.  The vet said to keep him only on this food since it works for him (the fancy vet food got him sick in the first place)!- so after 2 months on only one food- I am wondering if one food is limiting his lack of vitamins.

To me it makes sense to rotate just to make sure he gets a well rounded diet- but my friend who works at a vet for 30 years said cats do not need rotation and to leave him be for the meantime since he has made a great recovery.  The only other food he seems to like is weruva chicken- but that he gets occasionally due to the high price.

I read ibd cats do well with fish oil to heal has anyone noticed this?  Also if you can buy B12 at the pharmacy- can a person add this to the food instead of the expensive and timely and obtrusive visits to the vet to get B12 shots?  They said they give them in a series of about 5 at a high price.  I'm wondering if upping his vitamins for a little while can help his body get back to top shape?

Any ideas?  AND PLEASE NO CAT SNOBS replies.

Thank you.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
many people feed the fancy feast classics exclusively. it is complete and balanced. you can always rotate flavors if you want, but your cat's diet is not lacking. maybe he just rubbed too hard one time and cut his mouth. can you post a pic?

Last edited: