Sore In Corner Of Cat's Mouth

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is he not eating or in clear discomfort? If so, ask to be squeezed in. If not, you do have an appointment scheduled, so continue to keep an eye on him. If he stops eating, definitely bring him in. Can you keep him inside?

tristessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he not eating or in clear discomfort? If so, ask to be squeezed in. If not, you do have an appointment scheduled, so continue to keep an eye on him. If he stops eating, definitely bring him in. Can you keep him inside?
Yes, we are keeping him in for now. They are short staffed so we can't bring him in early. They did say that if he stopped eating or starts to have trouble eating, to call them and they would find a way to get him in sooner. So far, he is acting normal. I go into the vet tomorrow and will show them some photos to see if they want to bring him in sooner.

tristessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to post an update in case anyone else has this issue. One of the other vets at the office saw his case file and scheduled him an emergency visit. No diagnosis, other than oral bacterial infection with mouth ulcer. They gave him a steroid shot and a prescription for liquid clindamyacin twice a day. The prescription took 7 days to get from chewy.com but the steroid shot cleared up the infection within a day or too. I believe his breath may have been from bacteria in the mouth. Taco has been healthy and fine since February and it is now April. He probably would not have improved without the steroid shot or the medicine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting. Many times other members do ask if there have been conclusions to threads. Glad that Taco is okay and that another vet took his case seriously.

oriumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody! Just wanted to contribute to this thread because it helped me a lot when I was panicking about my 11 month old kitty, Ori.

A few days ago, my cat black crust on one side of his upper lip. I was monitoring his condition and suddenly 2 days later, I noticed he had some sort of raised bump on his upper lip. It didn’t seem like he was in pain, as he was behaving, eating, and playing normally. Suddenly the next morning, I noticed the corner of his mouth had gotten red, especially around the outer corner lip area. I read some posts online about applying coconut oil as an anti inflammatory agent and so I used a q-tip to apply virgin coconut oil for 2 nights in a row. Not sure if it got any better - I then read some posts online about how these mouth ulcers don’t go away by themselves.

I got to a vet appointment 2 days later (today) and thankfully, the doctor checked his condition thoroughly. He scraped some of the plaque (I wasn’t aware that the soft bump had hardened because I didn’t want to touch it, risking it potentially spreading). He put it on a test slide and examined it under a microscope. He even let me view through the microscope haha. He diagnosed it as an eosinophilic complex and gave Ori a steroid shot as well as a prescription for an oral liquid medication called Prednisolone which is some sort of antibiotic I believe. I have to apply it (using a syringe to wash it out almost) twice a day for 10 days and once a day for the next 10 days. The doctor suggested another check up a week later, in case it doesn’t go away (meaning it would lead to a worse illness). Praying my baby Ori heals quickly so he doesn’t have to suffer with bad tasting medication :,(

oriumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody! Just wanted to contribute to this thread because it helped me a lot when I was panicking about my 11 month old kitty, Ori.

A few days ago, my cat black crust on one side of his upper lip. I was monitoring his condition and suddenly 2 days later, I noticed he had some sort of raised bump on his upper lip. It didn’t seem like he was in pain, as he was behaving, eating, and playing normally. Suddenly the next morning, I noticed the corner of his mouth had gotten red, especially around the outer corner lip area. I read some posts online about applying coconut oil as an anti inflammatory agent and so I used a q-tip to apply virgin coconut oil for 2 nights in a row. Not sure if it got any better - I then read some posts online about how these mouth ulcers don’t go away by themselves.

I got to a vet appointment 2 days later (today) and thankfully, the doctor checked his condition thoroughly. He scraped some of the plaque (I wasn’t aware that the soft bump had hardened because I didn’t want to touch it, risking it potentially spreading). He put it on a test slide and examined it under a microscope. He even let me view through the microscope haha. He diagnosed it as an eosinophilic complex and gave Ori a steroid shot as well as a prescription for an oral liquid medication called Prednisolone which is some sort of antibiotic I believe. I have to apply it (using a syringe to wash it out almost) twice a day for 10 days and once a day for the next 10 days. The doctor suggested another check up a week later, in case it doesn’t go away (meaning it would lead to a worse illness). Praying my baby Ori heals quickly so he doesn’t have to suffer with bad tasting medication :,(

Forgot to mention that before going to the vet today, the corner of his mouth had looked almost like it split with white sores on the top and bottom. The redness had remained. I don’t have a picture of his inner mouth but this is what it looked like outside.

Not sure what the cause is yet, but he might have gotten bit by a flea in my backyard. I supervise him at all times outside at 15-30 mins at a time and he never eats anything, he just sniffs around.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting your account of Ori. You were very proactive, so continue with your vigilant care of him and hopefully, at the end of the medication, he will be fine. I don't think that this would have resolved itself.