Sore In Corner Of Cat's Mouth

fitzandlilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Over the past week or so, we've noticed an area in the corner of our cat's mouth that has gotten progressively larger, more reddened, and it has developed a small raised white spot. We believe our other cat (they are litter mates) has feline herpes, as she occasionally gets a sore on her upper lip in the front. Her sores have always resolved with some l-lysine paste. His does not seem to be improving. He is eating, drinking, playing normally. He has sneezed a few times this week. They are indoor only cats. He is a very sensitive kitty and hates trips to the vet, so I wanted to get some feedback to determine if it's really necessary to put him through the torture. I've included some photos so you can get a better idea.

Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful kitty experts!

image1.JPG IMG_6610.JPG

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, poor kitty! I really don't know what to advise you but someone else will be along soon who will. I sure hope he's better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fitzandlilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yikes, poor kitty! I really don't know what to advise you but someone else will be along soon who will. I sure hope he's better soon!
Thank you so much! Luckily he does not seem to be uncomfortable and is eating/drinking normally, otherwise I wouldn't think twice about taking him in to be seen. I just don't want to put him through the trauma of a vet visit for them just to say it'll resolve on it's own in a few days.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That may need a vet visit. You can ask the vet about presedating with gabapentine. I'm assuming your kitty gets extremely upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fitzandlilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That may need a vet visit. You can ask the vet about presedating with gabapentine. I'm assuming your kitty gets extremely upset.
Thank you! I am leaning toward a vet visit as well if it doesn't start looking better soon. He luckily does not get too riled up, but he practically freezes in fear, seems to have impaired vision when he is scared, howls, and is a wreck when we get home and wants to fight with his sister for the following 2-3 days.

Kstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I am leaning toward a vet visit as well if it doesn't start looking better soon. He luckily does not get too riled up, but he practically freezes in fear, seems to have impaired vision when he is scared, howls, and is a wreck when we get home and wants to fight with his sister for the following 2-3 days.

Did you happen to get any info from the vet what it maybe have been? My poor fur baby has something of similar look, and I didn’t think it was anything at first, but it’s now spreaded to the other corner of her mouth. Hope your fur baby is feeling better :)

Emily234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you happen to get any info from the vet what it maybe have been? My poor fur baby has something of similar look, and I didn’t think it was anything at first, but it’s now spreaded to the other corner of her mouth. Hope your fur baby is feeling better :)
If anything is spreading definitely go in to see a vet!! Cats are wonderful at hiding their pain, so its not always easy to tell they're uncomfortable. Its totally understandable to wait and see what happens (the vet often will say to do that anyway) but now that its spreading I think your fur baby would appreciate some help. The sooner you treat the better! Let us know what your vet says!

Nicky88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Did anyone find out what this? Would appreciate the update as it has appeared on my 5 month old kitten!

Thanks

Nicky

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I know this is an old post. Hope your kitty is doing well.
-My younger cat is experiencing the same issue. it was a small raised red area with a white center bump. (picture attached is what i first noticed originally)

-Sent it to vet she said looks like nothing to worry about could be an allergic reaction.

-The white bump is gone but there is some "raised red area" on the bottom lip. (it looks better now than in the picture)

My cat, like yours, has EXTREME anxiety. does not want to be held or helped whatsoever -___- took her 3 months to warm up to me when I first got her from shelter. Would love some peace of mind before managing to get help from strangers to help me catch her. She gets so stressed I feel like she will have a heart attack.

if you have updates about your cat i would very much appreciate your help!!!

Attachments

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I don't know if I am thankful the overload of information on the internet. I myself take anxiety medication of the highest dose and I swear it stems from the internet classifying any issue as cancer. :( :( :(

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

Did anyone find out what this? Would appreciate the update as it has appeared on my 5 month old kitten!

Thanks

Nicky
HI Nicky,
did you happen to get an update at all??? Would appreciate your help

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So with my kitten it was a black head and some kind of skin issue. Its black crusted lining his lip on that side and I pick it off. Also is on his nose on his nostrils the vet thinks dermatitis or something but is unsure. But definitely found some blackheads. My kitten is on such high immunosuppression for all of his life I'm thinking its finally some side effect too

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is currently recieving treatment for an ulcer that looks very similar to what your image portrays. In my case, my vet diagnosed it as calicivirus, with treatment being limited to pain management and antibiotics for potential secondary infections. Things cleared up after a week or so. First 1-2 days were the most unpleasant for Mr. Kitty, but he was OK.
Definitely let your vet check it out! Good luck!

Hello!

Over the past week or so, we've noticed an area in the corner of our cat's mouth that has gotten progressively larger, more reddened, and it has developed a small raised white spot. We believe our other cat (they are litter mates) has feline herpes, as she occasionally gets a sore on her upper lip in the front. Her sores have always resolved with some l-lysine paste. His does not seem to be improving. He is eating, drinking, playing normally. He has sneezed a few times this week. They are indoor only cats. He is a very sensitive kitty and hates trips to the vet, so I wanted to get some feedback to determine if it's really necessary to put him through the torture. I've included some photos so you can get a better idea.

Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful kitty experts!

View attachment 194304 View attachment 194305

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is currently recieving treatment for an ulcer that looks very similar to what your image portrays. In my case, my vet diagnosed it as calicivirus, with treatment being limited to pain management and antibiotics for potential secondary infections. Things cleared up after a week or so. First 1-2 days were the most unpleasant for Mr. Kitty, but he was OK.
Definitely let your vet check it out! Good luck!
Hi, what kind of treatment was Mr. Kitty given?
My cat's tiny bump went away, and then it returned on the same side but upper part of the mouth after a particularly stressful weekend for her when some people stayed over. Taking her to the vet in 2 days

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE - for anyone who experiences this in the future - my cat bump was diagnosed as an "indolent ulcer". most likely from an environmental allergy. it could be a food allergy but the vet thought its unlikely for a 10 month old cat as food allergy tends to develop over time (and I do feed her variety). could also be fleas but my cat doesn't have that. she had to get a steroid shot and it will take 2-3 days to clear up. If it doesn't that's when we move on to other methods such as antibiotics or even possible biopsy but hoping it wont come to that. I;ll post another update in a few days.

QHarris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE - for anyone who experiences this in the future - my cat bump was diagnosed as an "indolent ulcer". most likely from an environmental allergy. it could be a food allergy but the vet thought its unlikely for a 10 month old cat as food allergy tends to develop over time (and I do feed her variety). could also be fleas but my cat doesn't have that. she had to get a steroid shot and it will take 2-3 days to clear up. If it doesn't that's when we move on to other methods such as antibiotics or even possible biopsy but hoping it wont come to that. I;ll post another update in a few days.
Hi WizK
Did the steroid shot clear up the ulcer? I’ve attached a photo of my cat with red spot. Luckily I was able to take a photo while he was yawning.

Attachments

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi WizK
Did the steroid shot clear up the ulcer? I’ve attached a photo of my cat with red spot. Luckily I was able to take a photo while he was yawning.
yes the steroid shot cleared it up with a day or two I believe. the sore on your cats mouth looks exactly the same as it did on my lily

tristessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This exact thing is happening to my cat. In early January, Taco who is indoor/outdoor, had this ulcer thing on his front lip. I got him to the vet and I said that I thought it could be rodent ulcer/indolent ulcer but I wasn't since I have never had a cat with it.Taco is about 10 months old and has never had any issues other than scratching due to allergies. The vet said I looked like contact dermatitis, that perhaps he ate something or chewed something outside that he has an allergy too. She said it could be rodent ulcer and gave me a pamphlet on it. She suggested wait and see. I switched the food bowls from plastic to glass and it resolved an a few days. Fast forward to February, and now he has this red crusty inflammation in the corners of his mouth and a small ulcer under his top lip near the back of his mouth. His teeth look fine and he has no trouble eating. Over a few days the ulcer got smaller but the corners of his mouth still are red. On one side it felt raised and pus was coming out. I cleaned it and in 2 days the pus had cleared, but the inflammation still hasn't resolved. I called the vet on Thursday, but their earliest appointment is a week and a half away. 😔 The vet said if he cant eat or starts to have vomiting or diarrhea, to call and they will try and squeeze him in. So basically it has to be a dire emergency. Its the weekend, so I can't call them for advice. I got some Vetericyn and have been cleaning with that 3 times and day, then coating with Vaseline. I have to stop at the vet on Monday to pick up prescription food for my other cat so I will ask them then but I feel terrible that he has to be like this for a whole other week. Its very curious that he never had an issue and all the mouth stuff started in January. Also, his breath smells alittle strong for a young cat with clean teeth. I will post the outcome later because I could not find anything that looked like his issue on the internet. All rodent ulcers were severe and no cats had crusty red inflammation in the corners of their mouths. He doesn't normally chew on anything in the house and I dont have house plants. He also goes outside for a few hours in the morning and at night, but it is winter so there are no plants other than the arborvitie shrubs. He does have two brothers that he loves to groom, so if it is an allergy, maybe he could get it off their coats? Also of note, neither of his brothers have this issue and they spend all day together cuddling and grooming. I attached a photo of the front of his face from January. The photo of the corner of his mouth is from February. I will follow up after his vet appointment next week.

Attachments