Sophia's Health Failing

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I joined this site 10 years ago, I didn't think I'd be posting something like this in 10 years. But I'm not sure what other conclusion to come to.

My 11-year old bengal started vomiting a week ago. Had hyper salivation. Lethargic, etc. At one point, she had what I'd call an episode where she laid on her side and started breathing heavily from her mouth.

Took her to the 24-hour clinic. Physical checkup revealed nothing obvious. Blood work showed elevated liver enzymes, pancreatic enzymes, and high(ish) white blood cell. Of course, doctor qualified it all with, "that could all just be due to her being sick."

Hospitalized her with her normal vet three days ago. Spent two days there receiving fluids, etc. Only ate with appetite stimulants. They did draw more blood and her numbers were back to normal, other than the white blood cell count still being a tad high (but lower than before).

Got her home last night and she still seems very weak. She ate a couple treats but hasn't touched anything since then. No dry food. No wet food. And so far, I haven't personally witnessed her drink anything (though she's peed in her litterbox twice).

I just don't know what else to do. She'll meow at me, but it seems like a whimper :(
Just seems like her health is failing. If anyone has any idea or similar experiences, I'd love a little help here.

Thanks much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My heart goes out to you!!

Can you try some of these things to get her to eat something;
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food - make sure it doesn't contain any garlic or onions
  • Tuna and/or the juice
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • Pouch cat foods - these typically have more gravy
  • Fancy Feast
also Nutri Cal for when it is an urgent situation
  • goat milk, or low/no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (both yolk and white)
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • kitten glop (recipes are on the internet, look for some with goat milk)
There are also commercial toppers,
Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper,
you could crumble her kibble or a favorite treat onto the wet food.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is so difficult when the vet isn't able to pinpoint exactly what is wrong but you know something is happening. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

With white cells raised it could be an infection somewhere - my recent experience with Mouse was tooth abcesses. Definitely worth taking a good look in your cat's mouth if you can.... and look for any other possible lumps or bumps that could be an abscess or puncture wound anywhere.

Mouse was being repeatedly sick a couple of months ago and although an anti-emetic stopped the vomiting the vets couldn't find anything wrong. I couldn't get him eating again though and his weight was going right down. It was only when I was doing a random check on his mouth due to his having had dental issues as a kitten and normally eating a prescription dental food: I noticed his gums a bit red and I put it down to him eating his normal dental food. Back at the vet about his not eating I mentioned the reddening gums and they had a better look at his mouth. Turned out he had some gum erosion and when they got him sedated ready to remove two back molars two of his canine teeth fell out! He'd had a deep seated infection under the gum line and nothing showing on the surface but the roots were completely reabsorbed.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully there is nothing else wrong, and she is just off, because of all the meds, and being at the vet. Has she started eating at all yet?