Sophia

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the cats at my apartment complex that I trapped looked like it might have already been fixed. It appeared to have it's ear notched. The vet said it was a girl and had been fixed and we named her Sophia. She tested positive for Felv and she stayed at the vet for a while until they did a second test which came out negative. She is so pretty one of the vet techs wanted to keep her. He took her home, but he had dogs and young kids and Sophia being quite feral freaked out. So we brought her back and realeased her. She enoys being petted but is still quite feral. This winter someone threw beer bottles at her. I heard her scream and the bottles breaking, but It was late at night and by the time I got dressed and outside the person who did it was gone. Ever since then she has not been herself. She moved to a different place in the complex, started coughing and lost weight. I convinced my rescue friend to take her to the vet. Guess what, Sophia is a boy! I always saw these two black furry things on her backside and wondered why a girl had those. Head slap. Apparently the vet who checked her out was fresh out of medical school and not very good at dealing with feral cats. I'm pissed. I suppose the bright side is, if it had really been a girl, she would have gotten pregnant by now, it's been like a year since they said "she" was fixed. Now they are going to fix him and he needs a new name. I kind of disgusted with this vet practice. It's not the first lame mistake they have made. But it's not my decision, since I'm not paying. Got an idea's of a name for him?

Sophia.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I'm surprised at that vet, even I could tell that Demi was a boy by 3 months old, it's really obvious on male cats! Do you want to stick with an "S" name? Maybe Sam, Silas, Spencer, or Sawyer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I'm surprised at that vet, even I could tell that Demi was a boy by 3 months old, it's really obvious on male cats! Do you want to stick with an "S" name? Maybe Sam, Silas, Spencer, or Sawyer.
I loved the name Sophia, so yes I think it's good to stick with "S" names. Spencer is nice, like Spencer Tracy the old movie star. It just occurred to me, he used to me calling him Sophia, and comes when I call his name. Yes the balls on this cat were so obvious they clearly didn't even look at the cat. I was so confused every time I noticed them.

Last edited:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, a blind vet! That’s really neat!

Joking aside how did the checkup come out?

What is your long range plans for him? He looks pretty calm...maybe inside kitty with some work and patience?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, a blind vet! That’s really neat!

Joking aside how did the checkup come out?

What is your long range plans for him? He looks pretty calm...maybe inside kitty with some work and patience?
Where are you located? Would you be interested in working with some semi-ferals to help get them adopted? I have a large herd of TNR'ed kitties I want to help find a safe place to live. Some of them have potential for adoption with some work. The kitty formerly known as Sophia would need a lot of work. But he is also very pretty which would help his chances of getting adopted. I've got four rescued kitties in my little apartment so I can't take anymore in.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Southwest Missouri but sorry can’t take in any more...have 7 now and spouse is on two inhalers. Wish could take them all but...

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Southwest Missouri but sorry can’t take in any more...have 7 now and spouse is on two inhalers. Wish could take them all but...
Sounds like you are doing all you can too. I know somebody out there can help, so I keep trying. Sophia has lice and will get fixed on Monday. That's all I know so far.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Things are not going well here. There’s a rescue group out of Springfield mo called “rescue one” . Just for dogs but they do super...rescue and place 100s of dogs every year. Saw on FB this am they are closed to new animals, completely full, and said they don’t know if they can continue...sad. But it shows the state of affairs we are in. Our no kill shelters all have a waiting list for both cats and dogs. I take food by occasionally and it makes me cry to see those babies in cages for months, sometimes years. It’s all I can do to look into their soulful eyes and see the hurt....

Thanks for doing what you do. I wish I could see an endpoint to all this but I can’t see any solutions.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things are not going well here. There’s a rescue group out of Springfield mo called “rescue one” . Just for dogs but they do super...rescue and place 100s of dogs every year. Saw on FB this am they are closed to new animals, completely full, and said they don’t know if they can continue...sad. But it shows the state of affairs we are in. Our no kill shelters all have a waiting list for both cats and dogs. I take food by occasionally and it makes me cry to see those babies in cages for months, sometimes years. It’s all I can do to look into their soulful eyes and see the hurt....

Thanks for doing what you do. I wish I could see an endpoint to all this but I can’t see any solutions.
I hope "rescue one" can find a way to continue. We can't save them all. I just try to save one at a time, because that's all I can do. Thank you for the kitties you are helping.