Sooo I am super curious about cat breeds these days!

Gatomons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in one of my scientific moods and so I wonder if anyone out there is knowledgeable in cat genetics and DNA? I have a list of questions...

1: Is there any website that explains cat genes/DNA/coat color/tails/etc??

2: What would happen if a manx and japanese bobtail were to mate?

3: Does everyone know all the possible mixes out there or are there still experimental breeds?

I want to learn everything lol..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surprisingly, Wikipedia's articles about cat genetics are very good and, I've found, the easiest to understand.
Coat genetics: Cat coat genetics - Wikipedia

Body (tail, etc.) genetics: Cat body-type mutation - Wikipedia

As far as I can tell,the Manx bobtail gene and the Japanese Bobtail gene aren't related so nothing in paeticular would happen if they were bred together.

I'm sure there's always somebody out there who thinks they have the next hot breed but I don't know of any way to quantify that, lol.

One thing to keep in mind is that cat breeding is fairly new, so the VAST majority of cats don't have any kind of breed background. It's not like dogs, where they almost all are recognizable as some kind of breed mix. Cats are cats :).

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I wish people would stop breeding manx kittens. Manx syndrome is a horrible thing and some manx still have some issue caused by being a manx. We had to euthanize one because she had severe manx syndrome, and dealing with other manx kittens who have urinary and diarrhea issues cause of it (some leaking).