Soon-to-be New Cat Owner -updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, continuing thanks for all the insight here :)

If you want to train her not to jump on counters, I would suggest setting up your bedroom as the safe room rather than living room/kitchen area. The best way to prevent counter surfing is to never let it become part of her territory... The other nice thing about picking the bedroom is that she'll likely be lonely for a bit as she gets used to not being around her mom and littermates. It'll be comforting for her to be able to sleep with you.
Ahh, that's right. Her territory, got it. The bedroom sounds like the best place. Even if I gated off other areas, she will surely find a way to escape the initially designated 'safe' area.

If you start her out in the living room/kitchen area, make sure any spaces underneath appliances are sealed, so she can't get under them. I had to put up some poster board in front of my kitchen walkway for a week after I got my kitten, so she couldn't get in there before I had filled up/covered all the gaps between the oven, the fridge, etc. A general rule I go by is if her head fits in the gap, it's too big and she could squeeze in. It isn't a big deal if it's just, say, a sofa or a cabinet. But I wouldn't let her get under or behind any appliances, where she could get stuck or mess with wires.

If she has some trouble going to the litter box, I would keep her in the room that you'd be more tolerant of her peeing in. Especially if it's a smaller room, she'll learn where the litter box is quicker and will be able to make it there easily. I had some trouble with my kitten peeing in the living area a couple times, because her litter boxes were in the bathroom and the bedroom area. I guess she forgot where they were or didn't feel like going back all the way over there.

If she does pee/poop outside the litter box, simply place her in the box after she eats and scratch around in it with the litter scoop so she recognizes that that's where she's supposed to go in the future. Kittens sometimes need to be reminded.
Last night after doing some cable-kittenproofing, I walked over to my fridge and finally noticed the gap between the right side of my refrigerator and the wall.

"Okay, it's dirty there she's gonna get herself into a bath situation".

I need to figure out how to block it - taller piece of cardboard or poster board will have to do. But I'll also need to figure out how to block the top (if she ever makes her way up top and falls into the gap). Don't know about the back of it (I think it's pretty close to the wall behind it).

For the litter pan, I bought this one and didn't realize how big litter boxes are until it showed up:
Litter Pan - Suncast® Corporation

I got it and laughed - it's the first time I've really "looked" at a litter box and the first time one has been in my home. The thing is probably a luxury bathroom for the gal... :p I am trying to figure out where to put it in my bedroom. Anywhere I put it, it will be relatively near my bed. Also, it would either be next to a closet or my small dresser drawers. Come to think of it, I probably should just move my dresser drawers (they're the cheap, plastic Steralite bins currently - blessing in disguise?).

DOnt worry too much. Grace was left on her own, had bedroom, living room and hall way where her litter tray is during the day! They are not silly and wont get up to too much when you are not there ! Always keep kitchen shut then she knows it’s not her place, grace knows not to climb the sides and only does it to wind me up !!
In time I'll move the litter box to the bathroom or outside against a wall of the living room, methinks. :) It'll be interesting to see if she enjoys trolling me by going to the kitchen countertops.

The best way I've found to keep cats off of counter tops is slightly crinkled aluminum foil. It feels icky to their paws. Also, a "destination," maybe a small cat tree, where they can sit and watch what is going on without being on the counters is a big help. To train not to claw furniture, use double-sided sticky tape, and don't worry...it will only take a few days for her to learn that furniture, as well, feels icky when you try to scratch it.

The safe room should only be necessary for a week or so, while she gets used to her new home. After that, once you have the wires protected, she should be out and about, at least when you are home. I am glad that you closed off the fireplace, though. That could be a disaster!

She's a doll, and I can't wait to welcome her, as well!
Thanks for welcoming me :) I am hoping to share pictures /video as soon as she's home and exploring a little, even if it's just the bedroom. Insulation is fairly poor, so I tend to turn on the heat at night or just bury myself under the covers. I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to get under as well to stay warm. How cold is too cold for kittens/cats? Similar to us (60s? 50s?).

Cleaning products. Safely away in a cupboard. Always. They are lethal. Seriously.
Protect exposed power cables to safeguard the cat. Low voltage cables can be replaced. Cat’s cannot.
You’ll go through a few earbuds before your training is complete.
Keep the noise down for a few weeks
Learn no5 to crash around the place. She’ll want reassurance you are safe
I'm not sure how much exposure she's had to the presence of a mirror to other worlds AKA the HDTV and home theater speakers of mine. I suppose while she's in said safe room, I'll just keep volumes low or use my headset/earphones if I can. That and/or just turn down the subwoofer so all the 'explosions' or booms/thumps don't freak her out. Regarding the mild "wire/cabling hell" in the back of my current entertainment center, the easiest solution would be to buy a gate to block the area. But I think that's overkill and gates get expensive! It may be a little messy in the back with the wires and cables, but at least all of the wires, for the most part, will be encased in tubing so that she won't be able to chew on them effectively. Could easily see how that area could be a 'forest' of fun somehow.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there, James W! I know I’m slightly late to stop by and welcome you, but I just wanted to say we’re glad to have you here! You must be so excited to be getting a cat! I’m glad that you found TCS; we have a lot of knowledgeable cat lovers here so this is definitely the place to go if you have any questions about caring for your new family member. :)

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the litter pan, I bought this one and didn't realize how big litter boxes are until it showed up:
Litter Pan - Suncast® Corporation

I got it and laughed - it's the first time I've really "looked" at a litter box and the first time one has been in my home. The thing is probably a luxury bathroom for the gal... :p I am trying to figure out where to put it in my bedroom. Anywhere I put it, it will be relatively near my bed. Also, it would either be next to a closet or my small dresser drawers. Come to think of it, I probably should just move my dresser drawers (they're the cheap, plastic Steralite bins currently - blessing in disguise?).
Don't worry, she'll grow into it. :) I did a silly thing when I first got my kitten and got a small litterbox. Well, apparently kittens grow fast - who knew? In a few months, she outgrew it and then I had to buy a bigger one. Oops.:runaround:

How cold is too cold for kittens/cats? Similar to us (60s? 50s?).
Cats have a higher body temperature than humans, so they tend to like it warmer than we do. I would get her a cozy bed/blankets or let her get under the covers with you. They also make specific microwaveable warming pads for cats that you can try (or microwave rice in a sock). I personally place boxes on my radiators and often find Saipha and Mishka curled up in them.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
J James W Cats tend to like the same or slightly warmer temps than we do. My kitten prefers 85 degrees, while my older cat likes 75-80. As long as there are plenty of fluffy things to sleep on (or fridges or other warm appliances ;) ), your kitty should be fine at night.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Insulation is fairly poor, so I tend to turn on the heat at night or just bury myself under the covers. I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to get under as well to stay warm. How cold is too cold for kittens/cats? Similar to us (60s? 50s?).
I turn my heat down to 15C (60F) overnight, and now that it's colder outside, it's not uncommon for my Ruby to crawl under the covers with me at night. There's nothing like 4 cold little paws pressing against your back in the middle of the night. :D

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How cold is too cold for kittens/cats? Similar to us (60s? 50s?).
Older cats tolerate colder temps better than kittens, however all cats are masters at finding "the warms" to cuddle into. For most of them, that is in your bed, with you. And there are heated beds on the market for a reasonable amount of money. DON'T TELL HEKITTY, but the rumor is that Santa is bringing her a heated bed for under the tree!

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, James W! I know I’m slightly late to stop by and welcome you, but I just wanted to say we’re glad to have you here! You must be so excited to be getting a cat! I’m glad that you found TCS; we have a lot of knowledgeable cat lovers here so this is definitely the place to go if you have any questions about caring for your new family member. :)
Thank you :) I was very overwhelmed at first... Excited at the prospect but thinking about taking actual care of a feline (since I've never owned a pet before). But I'm really looking forward to it now :) I did a little lurking at first and it seems like a nice place here - thanks for welcoming me.

Cats have a higher body temperature than humans, so they tend to like it warmer than we do. I would get her a cozy bed/blankets or let her get under the covers with you. They also make specific microwaveable warming pads for cats that you can try (or microwave rice in a sock). I personally place boxes on my radiators and often find Saipha and Mishka curled up in them.
J James W Cats tend to like the same or slightly warmer temps than we do. My kitten prefers 85 degrees, while my older cat likes 75-80. As long as there are plenty of fluffy things to sleep on (or fridges or other warm appliances ;) ), your kitty should be fine at night.
I've got a feeling she'll want to sit on my network router, audio/video receiver, or gaming console. Until I get my new entertainment center, I'll have to accept this fate I think!

I turn my heat down to 15C (60F) overnight, and now that it's colder outside, it's not uncommon for my Ruby to crawl under the covers with me at night. There's nothing like 4 cold little paws pressing against your back in the middle of the night. :D
Haha, it sounds delightful :) My apartment doesn't have central heating, and my bedroom heater doesn't seem to shut off even at the lowest setting - after a few hours, the room gets really hot. My best alternative would be to buy her a thermal blanket in addition to just me under the covers. I've seen her claw and climb her way up a couch - she'll have no problem getting next to me in my bed.

Older cats tolerate colder temps better than kittens, however all cats are masters at finding "the warms" to cuddle into. For most of them, that is in your bed, with you. And there are heated beds on the market for a reasonable amount of money. DON'T TELL HEKITTY, but the rumor is that Santa is bringing her a heated bed for under the tree!
I've seen the heated beds/blankets and they are affordable. A friend told me they weren't necessary, but that friend also lives in a house with central heating/cooling.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got my first pet two years ago!

Advice that I'm super glad I followed:
- Safe room!
- Silica litter. Can't recommend this stuff enough for odor control! I used all natural litter in the first few months though, I was paranoid about her eating the silica, and that was icky and smelly to me.
- Have different people over from the beginning so the kitty doesn't hide whenever you do have someone over

Advice that I ignored and wish I'd followed:
- Get two of them, it's so much easier to keep them entertained especially if you work

Things I didn't expect:
- How fast you grow to love them
- Initial stress in the first weeks (this might not be something everyone goes through!) "what have I done?" or adopters remorse as you get used to the routine of things
- How much fun it is. Really. It's a lot of fun and kittens are amazing little fuzzballs.

Anyway, hope this helped a little and I'm sure you will do great. Always remind yourself to take lots of pictures and to enjoy it a lot! They'll only be kittens once!

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my first pet two years ago!

Advice that I'm super glad I followed:
- Safe room!
- Silica litter. Can't recommend this stuff enough for odor control! I used all natural litter in the first few months though, I was paranoid about her eating the silica, and that was icky and smelly to me.
- Have different people over from the beginning so the kitty doesn't hide whenever you do have someone over

Advice that I ignored and wish I'd followed:
- Get two of them, it's so much easier to keep them entertained especially if you work

Things I didn't expect:
- How fast you grow to love them
- Initial stress in the first weeks (this might not be something everyone goes through!) "what have I done?" or adopters remorse as you get used to the routine of things
- How much fun it is. Really. It's a lot of fun and kittens are amazing little fuzzballs.

Anyway, hope this helped a little and I'm sure you will do great. Always remind yourself to take lots of pictures and to enjoy it a lot! They'll only be kittens once!
Everyone's advice is insight into their own experiences and I'm better off because of it!!!

Currently I have a bag of "Ever Fresh", Unscented litter with charcoal in it.

I also purchased two Kindle versions of books a couple weeks ago. I don't know if I'll get through them in time for cat arrival. Still, I started the first by Pam:

“Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss”
Pam Johnson-Bennett

“Total Cat Mojo: The Ultimate Guide to Life with Your Cat”
Jackson Galaxy

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both EXCELLENT books!
I've seen the heated beds/blankets and they are affordable. A friend told me they weren't necessary, but that friend also lives in a house with central heating/cooling.
Yeah. That makes a HUGE difference! The first year I had Hekitty, and she was a wee, wee thing, I was having some housing issues and lived in a garage. Not a finished garage. A plain old, uninsulated, cement-floored garage. I made rice bags to heat in the microwave, wrapped them in towels, and tucked them into Hekitty's bed. Of course, SHE ignored them and crawled under the electric blanket with me.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ugh, i post too fast and I still have no idea how to edit. I should elaborate. cats are actually very social. having a buddy takes a lot of pressure off you to be their only friend and mentor.
You’re not the first person to suggest getting two :) For now, it’ll be one new addition to my apartment :)

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry so much about the smell of the litterbox. I keep the litter box in the bathroom and clean it when I do my daily routine in there. I use Wonder Box w/Baking Soda as a liner in a plain cheap plastic litterbox and I use cheap clay clumping litter that comes in a large plastic tub. I put the Used Clumps in the Empty Tub Litter container, and put the top back on. The Wonder Box lasts about six weeks or so and really helps keep the urine smell down and keeps everything so nice and clean because you throw it away eventually!

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry so much about the smell of the litterbox. I keep the litter box in the bathroom and clean it when I do my daily routine in there. I use Wonder Box w/Baking Soda as a liner in a plain cheap plastic litterbox and I use cheap clay clumping litter that comes in a large plastic tub. I put the Used Clumps in the Empty Tub Litter container, and put the top back on. The Wonder Box lasts about six weeks or so and really helps keep the urine smell down and keeps everything so nice and clean because you throw it away eventually!
Eventually I’ll move the litter box to the bathroom from the bedroom “safe room”. Though it’s a bit tight in there and my washer and dryer shares the same space. Have you ever run into an issue where your cat really needed to go but you or someone else was using the bathroom (shower etc.)? Would it need to warrant a second litter box elsewhere?

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. Unless they are sick they have control. They will sit and stare at the bathroom door if it's an emergency. They have no shame either and will go while you are in there. The only thing I would be concerned with in your situation is getting her used to the noise of the washer and dryer. Also, you need to remember to Check the washer and dryer for Cat before putting things in and starting them. Cats can think washers and dryers are Cat Caves and good places for naps.

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. Unless they are sick they have control. They will sit and stare at the bathroom door if it's an emergency. They have no shame either and will go while you are in there. The only thing I would be concerned with in your situation is getting her used to the noise of the washer and dryer. Also, you need to remember to Check the washer and dryer for Cat before putting things in and starting them. Cats can think washers and dryers are Cat Caves and good places for naps.
I am definitely keeping the washer and dryer behind their closet/closed doors - to the right of the washer/dryer, and behind that closet door, is a water heater and a deep area that would trap the kitten if it got in there!

James W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tali was born October 20, 2017. She’s my first pet / I’m her guardian. I brought her home today, so she’s still recovering from that stressful, 90-minute drive :)

She did sit on my leg when I took a quick nap, and has taken refuge in a 52” cat tree next to my bed and a window....

(In Spock’s voice): Fascinating creature.

Tali’s name is from a video game character of the same name.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
9B5C7E99-56DC-47DE-8584-FFA8C6591985.gif
Tali, you’ve finally arrived nice to meet you and
B80F16BC-1247-4D7E-A0C9-8F17707D2B61.gif
to TCS!

You are lovely and you are in good hands as your cat daddy has already done lots of homework before you came.