Sometimes I get concerned when they go off alone and sleep.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know cats are solitary by nature but will socialize if they choose to. Hootie and Sissy generally sleep in the living room where my husband and I spend the most time at home. There are times though when Hooite will go and sleep at the end of the hallway farthest from the living room and Sissy with go sleep in the bathroom on the bath mat. I know it's probably no big deal but I can't help but worry a tad that they don't feel well or are depressed or something. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean, I used to worry a lot when Mouse started to do that.  To start with he was like a perpetual shaddow and was never out of my sight: if he was sleeping and I got up and went to another room he'd wake and follow me through.  Then he started to be a bit more independent and would sleep in my bedroom on his own sometimes and I took it he didn't want company and may be depressed at being without another cat around, or sick.  He was in good health and just choosing his own company as a more mature cat. Then he was spending almost all the time on his own and went off his food and at that point he was sick - it was different though as he was just sleeping the whole time and looked miserable. Initially I thought maybe he was depressed and would be happier in another home but I checked him over and he had a sore mouth. Once he felt better he went back to his occasional time on his own and regular shaddow behaviour. 

When my two tabby sisters were young they spent all their time together and in my company but as they got older they skirted around each other and would take more time to be on their own too.

It is natural for all cats to choose to take some space and enjoy peace and quiet away from company of both humans and other cats. I think many of them do this more as they mature, but a bit like people as they get more frail and elderly can start to feel more insecure again and start to want to be in company again and get anxious if alone.  Unless your cat is spending a lot of time alone and there are other signs that they feel unwell or unhappy such as going off food or being irritable I would not overly concern your self.  Sometimes they just want to be somewhere a bit cooler, or where they can watch over their territory and see what's going on - Mouse is a big one for sitting in the hall where he can see ALL the doorways in the apartment and ALL the spots where he knows mice hide behind the skirting boards.  I would prefer it if he was in my company and cuddling in but I have to accept that sometimes he wants to be a cat. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I and how are they during the day? Together. Playing together. Eating together. Is it only at night they sometimes go and sleep at opposite ends of the house? You'd soon know if they weren't well.
Keep an eye on them but relax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rest of their behaviors (bathroom, eating, playing) are normal and they only go off alone on occasion. I've noticed Hootie mainly sleeps in the hall when my husband is sleeping with the bedroom door shut. She favors him so she probably wants to be close to him. Sissy seems to sleep alone in the bathroom before she goes into heat. Gaaah I said it please don't be mad! lol Neither of them are fixed yet but I'm going to make it priority this year. My husband is the only one that works so money is often tight. I know a woman that might be able to get me a coupon that will get them spayed for only $20. 

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys generally take a couple of naps together daily with grooming & cuddling.  But both independently nap almost at opposite ends of the house at least once a day.  I'm the exact same way with my husband. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats do that all the time.  I have tons of photos of the three amigos sleeping together but then...sometimes Ozzy just likes to go sleep on  his favorite blanket in the living room by himself, while Rico's on the cat bed in the TV room and Zoe is snuggled up with daddy...  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If anyone comes to stay in my apartment and shuts Mouse out of a room he will sit outside their door for ages.  It's like he has to know what they're up to, and the minute the door is open his nose is in there, 'checking his space out'.   

It sounds to me like you have come up with your own answer here!?