Somethings wrong with Jasper.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Wow.

We've used Metacam several times... mostly for amputations or legs with metal pins in it... I've never seen a negative side effect so far.
I never heard that it caused any seriously bad side effects like renal failure.
This website says it all.

http://www.metacamkills.com/

I don't mean to scare anyone, just to make people aware as I wish I would have known before my cat was treated with it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some cases that only Metacam will do it... if it is the only choice, kitty parents shouldn't feel guilty about using it...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

There are some cases that only Metacam will do it... if it is the only choice, kitty parents shouldn't feel guilty about using it...
I agree. I just think that the vet should be explaining the risks to the kitty parents so the kitty parents can make an informed decision. There aren't a lot of other options available, but there are a few. When pain relief is required, I prefer to try Buprenex or Tramadol before Metacam. Non-drug therapies like heated beds also come in handy, depending on the type of pain and the cause of the pain. In terminal cases or cases where an anti-inflammatory like Metacam is the only option, the vets need to be very careful about the dosing--my vet provides pre-measured syringes to prevent overdose.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is, even in premeasured syringes, the doses cannot be exact, because the medicine is made for dogs and dog weights. Cat's kidneys just cannot handle the med.

You're right that vets should give full disclosure when prescribing metacam for cats.

In a "nothing to lose" situation perhaps metacam might be okay. but if that is the case, buprenex or tramadol, or even torbogesic could be used also. The difference is, I guess, that metacam is an every two days med, where as buprenex is twice a day. So in a cat difficult to medicate, if this cat has nothing to lose, but pain, for her last days, perhaps metacam might be a viable option.

And the metacam shot, used in surgical cases, is a one time only shot. Meaning one time only, ever.

Metacam use in cats is here. A lot of vets use it. I know a vet tech who goes practically rabid when someone speaks up against metacam. Clients have a choice. They can accept the vet's prescription of treatment, and hope their cat is one of the lucky ones or they can say, no metacam in my cats.

But I realize I'm harping (sorry), so I won't say any more on the subject, in this thread at least.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wait, sorry to hijack this thread, but what's wrong with Torbogesic? It was prescribed for my 5 lb tom kitten when he was neutered.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

Wait, sorry to hijack this thread, but what's wrong with Torbogesic? It was prescribed for my 5 lb tom kitten when he was neutered.
Nothing wrong with torbogesic. A very effective short term pain medication for cats. I think I added the "even" only because it's not used as often now as it once was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet gave him a clear on the FIP.

He thinks it was an infection somewhere... dunno. His temp was still high, but 103 is nothing compared to the 106 it was.
He gave him another shot of the antibiotic and told me to call if he didn't change.

He's getting around pretty well.. jumping up on the couch, onto the bed, and all over the place. Only place I haven't seen him go is up the stairs.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He thinks it was an infection somewhere... dunno. His temp was still high, but 103 is nothing compared to the 106 it was.
He gave him another shot of the antibiotic and told me to call if he didn't change.

He's getting around pretty well.. jumping up on the couch, onto the bed, and all over the place. Only place I haven't seen him go is up the stairs.
thank GOD!!!!!!! Oh my goodness!!!!!!!
Send a hug to your vet for us, and another one for you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THanks everyone for the good thoughts and vibes and everything. I was really worried it was something really serious and I was going to lose the evil punk.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so glad! Thanks for giving us the happy news! Hope Jasper has turned the corner now and on his way to complete recovery!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was such great news to read as I got to the end of reading this. I am so happy Jasper is doing so much better and it wasnt FIP.

Sending so many many vibes that he continues to feel better

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is great news

I'm glad he's on the mend, and continued for the lil furball.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound dumb but is it possible that he got into something upstairs that made him sick and hes associating the upstairs with something bad!?! I just wanted to throw that out there cuz I know when Franklin fell off the bed when he was a puppy (he was chasing the cat and we couldnt catch him in time) he wouldnt go into the bedroom for a while after that! So maybe your "evil kitty" got into something to make him sick...But I hope everything goes good and he keeps getting better! Much luck and good vibes!