Something wrong with Eek

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I took Eek to the vet today and they are pretty sure its still just an URI. He's still on the same meds, they couldn't find any fluid in belly or lungs and his cbc was normal... The vet thinks he may have some siamese or something to make him cross eyed which I could understand since he is a mutt. ( I mean that in the best way possible! If he was purebred, he probably wouldn't be for me! I like the oddballs..) You can't really see any third eyelid, just kind of looks cross eyed! He seems to feel better and is starting to eat again, although not as much as I would like him too!

BooBoo is doing good, he seems to be "sleeping off" whatever they have! He's been tired and kind of watching my kids and checking up on them like he does when he doesn't feel good, no thirdeye lid, no sneezing, I checked his lung sounds and they are good so He seems to be doing alright!

Eek is being all lovey right now, and seems to know its a holiday! Which is kinda cool sinces he gave me my new years kiss! LOL

I hope everyone has a happy new year!!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh... I'm glad they seem to be doing better.

for a full recovery soon

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am embarressed to admit that I have found out what is wrong with my kitties.... My kids and me were doing an art experiment and were growing rocks... You know those kits that you can get that make the rocks grow?? Well I didn't realize they could get into it until yestereday, when I noticed that alot of the water in there was gone.... I know that sounds terrible but honestly I didn't think anything about it!! I can't even believe I made my own kitties sick by leaving this toxic substance out.....

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

I am embarressed to admit that I have found out what is wrong with my kitties.... My kids and me were doing an art experiment and were growing rocks... You know those kits that you can get that make the rocks grow?? Well I didn't realize they could get into it until yestereday, when I noticed that alot of the water in there was gone.... I know that sounds terrible but honestly I didn't think anything about it!! I can't even believe I made my own kitties sick by leaving this toxic substance out.....
Aw, don't worry about it.
Smudge drinks out of the toilet.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, drinking out of the toilet isn't so bad if there isn't poisonous stuff in there!

They are both starting to feel better now that the rock solution is gone, but I can't even believe they could get into it! It was on top of the fridge which I for sure would have been out of the picture for BooBoo, but I was wrong!!

I hope the stuff doesn't have permanent effects, but you can never tell with that stufff! Im looking for the ingerdients to see what all was in there, when I figure it out Ill let you guys know so you can chew my butt, which I rightfully deserve...

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their still sleeping it off!

The main ingredient is Sodium Silicate

Alright! Any word of wisdom for this?? Yeah, they ate it... they seem to be doing okay, they just have URI.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Their still sleeping it off!

The main ingredient is Sodium Silicate

Alright! Any word of wisdom for this?? Yeah, they ate it... they seem to be doing okay, they just have URI.
You're not a bad kitty mom!!! Those are my words of wisdom.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that you Kluchetta! I sure do feel awful right now but they seem to be doing okay! I just dont know if that stuff will cause any long term problems!
I cant even believe I put it where they could still get it!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well that you Kluchetta! I sure do feel awful right now but they seem to be doing okay! I just dont know if that stuff will cause any long term problems!
I cant even believe I put it where they could still get it!!
Well, how would anyone think they'd drink that rather than nice fresh water. Silly kitties!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know right!!??!!

They can get to the fresh water that is right in front of their faces, and yet they jump onto the counter, walk around to cross the stove and hop on the fridge!! Well what can you say, they're creative!!

guilty_bydesign

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw, I just got up to speed on Eek and BooBoo! I echo kluchetta, you're not a bad mom. Not in the least. We had to put child proof locks on everything at my old apartment because my Maine Coon could get into everything and she did. She scared the hell out of me many a time with getting into places where there was toxic stuff. I'm really glad that they're on the mend and that Eek is gaining weight now. I understand too about being a little overly protective about these little ones. They are more to me than pets, they're family. It just doesn't do if they're not well.

Hugs,
~R

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are much more than pets, they're my family!! Heart n soul!!
I didn't want them to get sick... By preventing the kids from getting into itk, I allowed the kids to get into it! Well I will never use those kits for art/sccience experiment!! Never again!!!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
o geez...

it's okay honey.
Hope now that the yuckies are put away your babies get well quick.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, Thats what I am hoping for! Now that the yuckies are gone, they can get over this URI!! Im just going to have to be more carefull with my kids science experiments... the only reason I did this one because it was one I did when I was a kid and I had such fond memories of it!! Never again....

They do seem to be feeling better! They even played a little bit, so lets pray that stuff doesn't have any long term effects on them!! The poor things!!!..

~Amber~

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they both seem to be recovering from their little experience!!
They dont seem to be having the same symptoms of the URI like they did before... Maybe the poison is coming out of their bodies!!

I will never use that stuff again though... Weather it was a learning experience for the kids or not, I dont want them to have to learn how to lose their furbabies!!

I dont know if the sodium silicate comes out of their body quickly or not, and I might have to start a new thread to see! Otherwise Ill just start pm'ing someone who might know! LOL Anyway, if anyone knows anything about this stuff please let me know!!

~Amber~

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this is all I could find...

sodium silicate is thought to have a low toxicity level but due to it's alkaline nature can cause burning and irritation along the digestion tract and upper respiratory tract among other places.

long term and/or chronic effects have not been studied.

sounds like they'll be alright but you may want to give the vet a call? it's also mentioned that it could cause kidney damage (but what doesn't?)

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had them at the vet already, and he said they would be okay, and what they have is probably caused from all the crud in that magic rocks kit! He couldn't tell me what the long term damage was though! So thank you very much Saya!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
o good!

sorry, my heads been a little in the clouds lately and I haven't been on too much but yea I think you already mentioned you took them to the vet.

at any rate I think the vet is right, they sound like they're gonna be just fine.
Are they doing better today?

what's the update?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're doing REALLY well today!! BooBoo had been so laid back and lazy and today he is full of energy and ready to go!! Same thing with Eek, except he never lost near as much energy as BooBoo! Eek is all over the place just playing with everything! They seem to be doing so much better now!

Now I just have to remember that they can get ANYWHERE so there is NO safe spot in my house for stuff like magic rocks!

I think the cats are actually driving my DH nuts!! He's trying to sleep and they are being just CRAZY!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I feel sorry for your husband trying to get what I'm sure is some well-deserved rest, but in a way you must feel great that the kitties are rambunctious - just like human kids who have been under the weather, nothing like some running and jumping and getting in trouble to let you know they're on the mend!

So glad they're better and thanks for sharing your experience - every day I'm learning something new on how to care for my babies, thanks to this site.