Something to relax cat while flying?

smr00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know there is a lot of controversy over this and people recommend against sedation for cats when flying. I have a very very vocal himmie who I wil be on a long flight with. When we are in the car, he meows constantly. He has never been on a plane before and I don't want to stress him out too much. Is there something I can give him just to take the edge off? I talked to vet and he wrote us something. But I'm wondering if maybe a little benadryl would work? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want him to be very sleepy just not so hypervigivilant. Any suggestions would be helpful.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Can we assume he is traveling in the passenger compartment and not the hold? The "controversy" relates mostly to sedating a cat in the hold where there is an increased risk of death. I would never medicate a cat even in the passenger cabin without talking to a vet so you should discuss any medication even Benadryl with a vet. Rescue remedy is an herbal test that is known to calm down cats and you could discuss this with your vet as well.

If you used a prescription med that a vet gave you I would strongly urge you to try it as directed by your vet as a test before you have to fly. I gave my cats "ace" (nickname for a sedative) that made my cats more upset then without being on it.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with StephenQ. Some drugs theoretically calm a cat, but those same drugs will actually have the opposite effect or no effect. All depends on YOUR cat's physiology (and drug). So, I'd do a 'trial run' of the drug with your cat (in some place safe).

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you used a prescription med that a vet gave you I would strongly urge you to try it as directed by your vet as a test before you have to fly. I have my cats "ace" (nickname for a sedative) that made my cats more upset then without being on it.
I couldn't agree more with StephenQ's advice. I tested a sedative on a cat once before flying and ended up not using the drug because it made the cat alternately run around and then flop on the floor. She did much better on the flight than I'd expected. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smr00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am definitely taking him with me on board. I just hope the whole experience isn't too stressful. Between going through the airport, security, all the noise and commotion and then the actual airplane, I am so nervous he is going to be going crazy. He absolutely hates the car if that is any indication of anything.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this a permanent move for him?  I had cats who hated the car but were ok on trains so maybe he will be ok.  Cats do get motion sickness sometimes so you could talk to your vet about the usefulness of an anti nausea drug like cerenia.. Also line the carrier with wee wee pads, bring some zip lock bags, baby wipes and paper towels.