Something That Really Bugs You!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
What is something done by someone or something in your immediate family or household that bugs you almost beyond words?

My husband is driving me batty because he sighs for no reason, a big, noisy sigh that sounds like the weight of the world is about to crush him. It alarms me and I ask him what's going on. His reply is, "Nothing. I just like to sigh." Many times he's not even aware of it. He gets either grumpy or mildly penitent when I mention it, but he keeps doing it. He's been doing it more in the past couple of years and it makes me want to thump him upside the head.

What gets to you?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I have to mention, that I often sigh too, or sometimes just take a breath, which may be the same as a sigh. I do it without even thinking about it. I think it is how I relieve stress. Everyone has something that they do, even if they do it unconsciously.

But something that bugs me is when people leave the cupboard doors open, or leave the drawers in the kitchen half closed or just almost closed but not all the way. If you are going to push the drawer two inches from the counter why can't you just close it all the way??!!! Why do you have to stop two inches short? Every time they get something out of the cupboard, they always leave the doors wide open and never close them (or its only partly closed). That drives me nuts.

That's my dad and sister I'm talking about. Thankfully now I live alone in my own place and all my cupboard doors are closed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
You hit another thing that bugs me. Additionally, open cupboards and pantries and drawers invite nosy little bodies and paws to explore.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother sighs too. He works at a call center and his boss is always after him, says it sounds sarcastic or frustrated, but it's just what he does, he can't help it.

My dad paces and hums. All the time. More when he's anxious, yes, but basically if he's not actively doing something he's pacing and humming. Argh! I know he can't help it either but still.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do the sighing thing sometimes because I am asthmatic and just will take in larger breaths from time to time. Or after I have talked a lot and didn't breath as much as normal while talking. I don't even realize it half the time. I did interviews one time and someones Mom called to complain that I was sighing because I was bored during the interview and didn't give her a fair chance at the job.

First of all who has their Mom call to complain that their daughter didn't get a job? Second, if I had been considering that girl she was off the list after that. Third, it was first round interviews and everyone had the exact same questions. I didn't even process most of them until the end of the day when I reviewed my notes and decided who made enough of an impression for second interviews. I didn't make the call on interviews either; they delegated me to run first interviews and give them my top 5 from each day for a second interview. Second interview was the program director and she selected her top 5. The final interview was the CEO who just did one group interview with the 5 to select his favorite. Finally, I am overwieght and asthmatic sorry I sigh when I am talking a lot and it had been a day of an interview every 15 minutes for 8 hours straight (for 4 days straight). Didn't mean anything about the girls chances of getting a job.

My Dad has two things that drive me crazy.

1) Whenever he takes a drink of water he swishes it around in his mouth (loudly). Not if he is drinking a few sips in a row but the first drink out of any glass or after a few minutes. If you call him on it he says he was cooling down the water, something was stuck in his teeth, his throat was sore, but most of the time he doesn't even notice he did it.

2) He says okay repeatedly. It is pretty much in every sentence. When he is explaining something he will finish each statement with "okay" and wait for a response before continuing. And if you don't say "okay" he thinks you didn't understand so he restates the same thing (of course finishing with "okay" and again pausing for acknowledgement). I have literally had conversations with him where I realize the last three exchanges were the work "okay" with various inflections. For example, "Okay? (questioning, understand)", "Okay (short and clipped, acknowledge)" "Okay (satisfied, good)" "Okay (drawn out, moving on)" "Okay (cheerful and definitive, bye)". Every time I catch myself doing it I literally face palm and make a conscious effort to not say okay again for a few hours :frustrated:.

When we point it out to him he says he doesn't say "okay" as much as we think he does. Its probably like someone who says "like" a lot. He doesn't even notice it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband is driving me batty because he sighs for no reason, a big, noisy sigh that sounds like the weight of the world is about to crush him.
DH has done this. Sometimes more than others. His doctor told him it's anxiety or stress related. I agree with MeganLLB MeganLLB ; it's to relieve stress. Yawning relaxes muscles.

My kids don't clean up after themselves when they eat. We have a small kid size table in the living room. I got in the habit of letting them have lunch and snacks there because we homeschool at the kitchen table. I have to tell them to bring their dishes to the sink/throw out cheese stick wrappers/pick up dropped food constantly. And then there is the searching for bowls and cups they've put on the floor. WHYYYYY!?!?! It's like they don't SEE whats right there in front of them!

My instinct says; no more eating in the living room. It can be a privileged. But then the kitchen/dining table/floor is just as messy from breakfast and dinner. I would probably be a little less bothered if we didn't have a carpeted dining area. And then during the school year it doesn't give them a break from the table if we have to do school before and after lunch.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lately driving to and from work bugs me to no end. You see, our main road to the highway is closed because they're replacing a bridge. Another main road to the highway is also closed and will remain closed for about three years or so because they're installing the new huge bridge across the Susquehanna River from RT 147 to RT 15. It's an ugly mess. To add to that, right in the area where the two roads are closed, traffic is down to one lane because of road construction and well, it's just a blasted mess right now.

The way that I've been getting to the highway is rather dangerous as there's a nice curve right there and no traffic light. And I have to make a left-hand turn right into the curve.....try doing that when it's foggy! It wasn't so bad when it was pretty much just me and a couple other people. Now, everybody's using that road and I've found myself sighing loudly and long. I need to figure out another way to get to work, but that involves going over the mountain and that's a pain in itself. It's not an unsafe route; it's just long.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
But something that bugs me is when people leave the cupboard doors open, or leave the drawers in the kitchen half closed or just almost closed but not all the way. If you are going to push the drawer two inches from the counter why can't you just close it all the way??!!! Why do you have to stop two inches short? Every time they get something out of the cupboard, they always leave the doors wide open and never close them (or its only partly closed). That drives me nuts.
That's one of my pet peeves, too. :angrywoman:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pet peeve is when Mr. Cheeser decides to cook during the night when I'm asleep, and thinks he does a better job of cleaning up after himself than he really does. I practically need a sandblaster to wash some of those dishes after they've been out all night with dried food stuck on them. Grrr!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just one? :lol: I'm sure my husband has an equally long list of things I do. My husband will consistently leave things to be recycled near the sink without rinsing them. Beer bottles, seltzer bottles, etc.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The list is too long to detail but the first thing that comes to mind is DH always leaving the chair pulled out at the table or wherever he goes. I constantly have to remind him to push his chair in. :frustrated:

The other is not putting things back where he found them. I will go to look for something and can't find it because he never put it back in it's original place. Once I actually found a special scissors left out all night in the yard after it rained. He used it for something and left it on the top of the a/c unit. :rolleyes:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love with my parents and I hate that my father leaves both the door of his bedroom AND one of the windows ir his bedroom open.
First reason is that two of my indoor only cats died because of that. He hardly ever remembers to close the doors of the rooms he has been into. I used to follow him around the house to close doors or windows, until he got offended and shutted them loudly. Now I have a room upstairs and my cats live just in there.
Second reason is that my parents have an outdoors-indoors cat that will take any chance to enter the house through my parents window, go upstairs, and pee the sofa of my tini tiny living room. He was spayed quite young, so it drives me crazy.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I also don't like it when my family moves my furniture around, decorates, and cleans my house when I'm not home.

I live alone, but sometimes my family will travel up to spend a few days to visit. I will come home from work and my dining room table is moved, my couch and chairs and end tables are rearranged, and I don't want it that way.

They think they can just come in and do whatever they want like this is a big dollhouse for them to play with. No respect for my things and my space.

And the cleaning. Ok I don't mind if they wash some dishes, or wipe the table off. But when they start vacuuming and cleaning my bathtub, and moping my floors AFTER I JUST DID THAT RIGHT BEFORE THEY CAME, it makes me feel like they don't think my house is clean enough so they have to do it themselves. Like don't they notice that it was just cleaned? They make me feel like I worked so hard to make my place nice for you for nothing and its not good enough.

At one point they did so much, and I got so mad I almost told them that I was not going to invite them back and they were no longer welcome. I eventually shared my feelings with my mother, and I don't know if she said something, but they seem to have stopped doing that so much anymore. Idk

But anyway. RANT OVER. Thank you.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate it when I ask my (stay at home) partner if he has done a specific household task when he picks me up. He will say he has done it. But I get home and he's not done it... well the way I would do it. I know it sounds petty, but I mean like just piling up the dishes in a neat stack and saying he's "done them". Or putting the washing out but it's all half over the line so it doesn't dry properly. Putting out the recycling but not putting it into the respective bins that we have to seperate it to. Ugh.