Something on my cat's ears, face.

Hishighness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, My cat has these... I don't even know what they are blotches or something on the outside of his ears, and a sore or something on his face. I'm just wondering if anyone recognizes what they might be.

Thanks for your time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look like wounds from a fight. Do they have a crusty coating at all? The one on his face could be ringworm, but if he has had them for a while and they have not spread elsewhere or to you, they wouldn't be. Ringworm spreads like mad when it is untreated. Get some wound spray and spray it on, or wet a cloth with it and wipe the areas if he shys away from the spraying sound. You can get it online or at any farm supply store like Tractor Supply. Monitor for an abscess too, if he was fighting, it will start out as a lump and burst, draining. He will heal in time, safety is indoors if you can manage it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hishighness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They look like wounds from a fight. Do they have a crusty coating at all? The one on his face could be ringworm, but if he has had them for a while and they have not spread elsewhere or to you, they wouldn't be. Ringworm spreads like mad when it is untreated. Get some wound spray and spray it on, or wet a cloth with it and wipe the areas if he shys away from the spraying sound. You can get it online or at any farm supply store like Tractor Supply. Monitor for an abscess too, if he was fighting, it will start out as a lump and burst, draining. He will heal in time, safety is indoors if you can manage it.
Yeah, the splotches on his ears are crusty, almost like, and forgive my crudeness, almost like crusted snot. He's had the ear crust for about a month or so and I just noticed the wound on his face about a week ago.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick trip to the vet will put your mind at rest. It could still be ringworm - many years ago, it took me a while to identify the patches on my cat's ear. It didn't spread further than her ears (though the spors would have been in her fur) and no-one else caught it. Some ringworm show up in black light (but not all), some are highly infectious, others much easier to control!
If it is not ringworm, there are creams which are both antifungal and antibiotic which you can get from the vet. They should only be applied on small areas of the cat's skin and not be used for more than a few days. I had to use such a cream on a poor FIV+ stray who had such sores on his face and neck. We thought he'd had a fight with a rat but it was more likely to be a result of FIV.
Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd recommend having him seen, as well. This is probably going to be something that can be fixed fairly easily, but sooner is always better than later. And do let us know what the vet says!