Something my vet did

3babiesandme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before getting upset I would just talk to the vet. What if the tech is bitter about something that happened. Just check it out and get the facts straight before acting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, everybody, for your feedback and advice. Peter's due for a visit to the vet in the next couple of weeks anyway, so that will give me the opportunity to talk to her about this in person. What it all boils down to is that I DO trust my vet. She's taken great care of my cats. I'm not going to make any decisions until I have the chance to speak with her. Will keep you posted.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh MAN! That would be a tough one, if you really do like your Vet! I think you are wise though, to just ask outright, and then let her tell you the story. I had a similar situation, with my Vet and it was from someone who just plain does NOT like my Vet! However, that Vet saved my MissyKitty's life,more than once... I have a lot of respect for this Vet, and I did some searching around, and was getting ready to just outright ask my Vet, with my next visit. --Then I found out, it was just a personal vendetta against this particular Vet, from this angry person!

Good luck!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charmed654321

What if the owner had a baby and it was that or get rid of the cat?

What if the people wanted the cat PTS and the vet talked them out of it by suggesting this as an alternative to keep it alive and in a home?
I'm sorry, but that's pretty terrible for an "alternate possibility" scenario. A vet going along with the aforementioned procedure for that reason would be horrible.

In a case where all of a cat's teeth being removed for a reason not due to health was even considered as an option, I honestly believe that it'd be better for the person to give it up or find it a new home.

Having all of the cat's teeth unnecessarily pulled out just to please the owner is right up there with declawing in my opinion.

The only way I could excuse that procedure is due to a medical issue (horrible dental disease, an accident which broke the teeth, etc.)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been thinking about this situation since you posted about it. OK, not constantly thinking about it, but it's been on my mind...

I cannot believe that ANY reputable vet would perform such a procedure on request from a pet owner. De-fanging I've heard of, but removing all of the cats teeth would mean that the cat could not eat properly. IF the procedure was actually done, I'm sure that there were extenuating circumstances (i.e. advanced gum disease) that made the teeth removal medically necessary.

Definitely ask your vet about this, but my guess is that she will be shocked and appalled at the suggestion. Frankly, if the tech gets fired for telling lies like that, she should be fired. You have the gumption to straight out ask your trusted vet about it. How many people would have just gone with your first instinct of finding a new vet?

It sure sounds to me like this person has a grudge against her boss, which is no way to behave in an office and especially not a medical office. If she's that unhappy, she should leave. If she has a valid complaint (if that story were to be true) she should report her boss to the proper authorities/board.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also like to add there there is no breach of client confidentiality involved as the pet owner in question was not named.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone elses comments. Approach the vet, sometimes people say things and 'stretch' the truth. Adding facts that aren't true to seek revenge for something totally unrelated.

Perhaps the tech didn't get that raise they wanted. I can't imagine that a vet would do something like that without an actual medical reason. It's inhumane. I'd think that instead of doing as the owner wished, he'd instead contact the humane society to let them handle the owner of the animal.

I hope you get it all straightened out.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Defanging isn't unheard of but it is very cruel. However, if the vet thought it would keep the cat in a home they might have opted to do the procedure vs. giving them up or PTS.

I wouldn't judge the vet on it. Its on the owners conscionce IMO. Vets have to make a lot of tough decisions and often get the brunt of criticisms. They may not make the right decisions all the time either but this was not something they recommend people do (as it was an owner request), that I would have a problem with.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you go getting all worked up, i would first ask the vet in person and tell her why the rumors concerned you. Ask her if she did preform the procedure, what were the circumstances surrounding it, and how frequently has she preformed such a procedure. I personally find it to be really cruel and unnecessary. Any good vet would recommend that the owner work on the cats behavior by spending time with it and positively enforcing good behavior instead of extracting its teeth!I would definitely take my animals somewhere else is she admits to having preformed the surgery...that says she's more in it for the money rather than for the wellbeing of the animal. but at least ask her kindly in person to find out the truth before you switch vets. you've gone to her for 6 years so give her the benefit of a doubt.
Have a lovely day.