Something Is Wrong With My Kittens Eye :(

Ami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the other day, a friend of one of my roommates gave me one of her new kittens. I named her Aura,, and she's so perfect. I noticed on the ride home that her right eye seemed like it wasn't opening all the way. Assuming that it was just from her recently opening her eyes or something,, I really didn't pay it any heed. By that night, her eye wasn't open at all. I looked it up, and I think she has an eye infection. Cannot afford to take her to a vet.. Besides a warm compress(which temporarily helps her)) is there anything I can do from home??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can buy a tube of terramycin from a tractor or farm supply store. This is what vets use for eye infections. It will clear it quickly.

It's important to keep the eye wiped and open so that her vision is not harmed.

Also try using a saline solution from the pharmacy to wipe it with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, cool thank you. How much is that? I don't get paid til next Friday,, am I able to wait until then? Like,, I'm def going to ask my roommates if I can borrow the money,, but just in case they can't?

Ami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looked it up,, its like 16$,, still wondering on the rest of my post

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ami Ami

It is usually about $15, but call the store and ask if they have it and how much they sell it for. It is also available to order online.

It's not ideal to wait, but if you do, like I said, it's imperative to keep the eye wiped and open.

Ami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. Thank you so much!!!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Ami! Welcome to TCS.

Please keep a watch on this, though. It may be an Upper Respiratory Infection (URI), which shows up often with goop in their eye(s). If the antibiotic doesn't work, please have her vet checked. I know it costs money but pets are not free.

If her eyes had just opened, she was separated from her mother too young. She may not have gotten the antibodies she needs from nursing. So she may have developed the URI. Please keep watch.