Something Is Wrong With My Cat...

brittanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advice/opinions please!

Sugar is about 11 mo. The past 2 days I've noticed a big change in her behavior. She has been spending most of the day underneath my bed. Like most cats, she sleeps a lot but usually will sleep on the couch with me or by a window somewhere - she's never gone under the bed for hours and hours on end. She won't even come when I call her, which she always does. I can usually coax her out by shaking her food. I closed the bedroom door to see her behavior and she jumped up on the counter and sat in the corner - something I've never seen her do. 

She does not seem interested in her kitty siblings whom she loves. She is completely disinterested in her favorite toy, a laser pointer (this is very odd) and she does not follow me around which she always does. 

She eats normally, drinks normally. When I go up to her she purrs and rubs on me but she keeps hiding. I can't tell if she's in pain because she's jumping up and down just fine. The only thing I could possibly think of is maybe she's constipated? I haven't seen her go in a while (this could be in my head though). 

Do you think she's sick? Or maybe her and one of the others got into a fight? She seems pretty skittish and frightened sometimes and just generally disinterested in playing with her kitty siblings.

Thanks guys. 

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she should probably see a vet. A change in behavior is an important indicator. Is she spayed?

bangis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This change of behavior might be the cats depression. Check:3 Ways to Tell if Your Cat Is Depressed - ...

edipotchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the first step is always to see a vet to rule out any illnesses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is spayed

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An 11 month old cat doesn't get depressed. Nor do they suddenly lose interest in their normal activities, interacting, playing, etc.

Something is wrong.

Hanging under the bed for hours is clearly meant to be a sign to you, their way of telling you.

Definitely get her seen asap.