Something is wrong I think with my cat, Gabby

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gabby is almost 19 .....  Bowel movements are hard, and she seems to have a hard time throwing up at the same time....  this has been ongoing.

But the CONCERN now ....she had one little bowel movement about 2 days ago....with subsequent throw up of clear foam......and I do not think she has touched her food for 2 days.....   I try to feed her....nothing appeals to her.... she did take a few small sips of water.  She normally has a good appetite, and continually grazes and drinks day and night....but the past 2 days NOTHING (that i know of) ....She seems especially unsteady now ...and is curling up on my bed .....she seems to find that place comforting over the past few weeks  (no longer goes upstairs)  She seems weak .....and uncombative if I move her.    Any ideas ?   I appreciate any feedback you can give me.  Thank you       

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to go to a vet NOW. If the vet isn't open, take her to an emergency clinic. All of her symptoms are pointing to bad constipation, at the very least. Constipated cats often throw up because they've been straining so hard. Lethargy and loss of appetite are signs of the constipation worsening. She is likely blocked past the point of any home remedies and will probably need an enema. She also is likely dehydrated and could use subcutaneous fluids, and she might have a fever and other underlying illnesses that only a vet can diagnose and treat. Change in behavior, feebleness, and not eating are especially worrying symptoms so please get her in to see someone as soon as possible!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weakness and unstable means she is dehydrated which is quite dangerous and is not helping her bowel movements either.

Agree, she needs to see a vet asap and get sub-q fluids for starters, along with a thorough exam to see what is going on.

She can't go this long without eating either, she is in danger of going in to liver failure,hepatic lipidosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much .... We are at the animal hospital, soon to see a vet !!!!

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, Molly ....she is now in the emergency veterinary hospital .... they are running tests and will treat her accordingly.  I am so grateful for your immediate response !   

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also catwoman , thank you for your immediate response !  Gabby is in the care of an emergency animal hospital now....I will know more in a few hours  

Thank you !

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's being taken care of! I'm hoping everything turns out well. Good luck to you!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Also catwoman , thank you for your immediate response !  Gabby is in the care of an emergency animal hospital now....I will know more in a few hours  

Thank you !
So glad she is being seen!

Please let us know what the vet says soon!

Sending good vibes :)  

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just now reading this, & hoping she is ok as well, not eating for that long is not good either.  Another one of us waiting to hear......  

Saying a prayer, nothing serious! 

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to fill you all in.... Molly....catwoman   ..... I brought Gabby to the hospital on Sunday night  ... the next morning they had determined that she was Very constipated (showed me the x-ray) ...and of course very dehydrated.   They said her blood work was excellent (they do a thorough job) ....they did manage to rid her of a few the constipated stools with an enema .... gave her fluids intravenously.... I transferred her to my vet the next morning ...and brought her home just in the last hour.   She is Very Happy now.  The doctors recommended more water and movement (exercise) .... to prevent that constipation.   (actually, they recommended one of those "running water" devices.  I will go look for one.)  I am so grateful to you being there to give me advice in the wee hours of the night !   I had just signed up with this site a week previously ......had never posted...but was desperate for advice.  THANK YOU (again) !   (I am just curious...you both are so knowledgable ...are you doctors, by chance?)  I will post a picture soon when I figure out how to do so !  

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you  also, Angel's mommy

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy Gabby is better 

One thing about cats, they don't like to have water and food in the same area, I have Midi's food in the kitchen and his water in the living room.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you  also, Angel's mommy

You are welcome. I am so glad to hear gabby is doing better!!  Did they mention giving her pumpkin to you? That is something else we use for that. Well, it can be used for either constipation, or diarrhea, so you just give a little, (1/2 to 1 tsp. mixed in food)  too much, & it can have the reverse effect.   Just make sure you buy a can that is JUST pure pumpkin, no spices in it.   

Yes, plenty more water, I think a fountain is a good idea too. You can find those on amazon.  You can also add water to her food. That will be a way to definitely get some more in her. I used to always add water from my PUR filter on the faucet to Angel's food. Usually just enough to make an oatmeal like consistency. Assuming she eats wet food. If not, it's a really good idea to switch for more moisture. You will also find a lot of info on here about wet food being better for cats. 

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had tried in the past to give her a little pumpkin .....during another bout...  and she really didn't want to eat it ..   To me  , she seems to drink a lot of water ...I leave several bowls around the home....and wash them out frequently.  I think the running water is probably a good way to go...  Thank you so much for your concern, and ideas !

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Zed !

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news! I'm so glad she's feeling better. You must be exhausted, though!

My cat has chronic constipation issues, so I'm aware of the signs. Keep an eye on Gabby and if you notice any more straining or she has bowel movements less often than every day (she might not have one today because of the enema), there are a couple things you can do to relieve the constipation before it gets so bad. Water is great, the more the better. I add water to my cat's wet food because she refuses to drink it straight, but most cats like a fountain because running water in nature is fresher than still water. Miralax is also perfectly safe for cats. It helps the stool absorb more water, making it softer. You can add 1/8 tsp to food once or twice a day and up the amount from there if necessary. A vet told me the brand name works better than generic in this case.

Soluble fiber (like pumpkin) has a similar effect of absorbing water as well as feeding good gut bacteria, but adding too much can create bulk which makes constipation worse. My vet recommended acacia fiber and I used it for a while. It's a flavorless powder so my cat didn't notice it, and you can find it in health supplement stores. Hopefully this was a one time event, but if not you can usually do a little experimenting with diet, laxatives, and/or fibers to get the right recipe for your cat.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Molly. Maybe if you mixed the pumpkin with some baby food, she might eat it. Same goes for that on the w/ no seasonings as garlic & onions are toxic to them. Try chicken or turkey, whatever flavor she usually likes.  You can also get some probiotics from your vet, or find one for pets at a health food store. 

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very interesting ....  very good advice.    Thank you, all.  Molly, she has had problems with bowel movements for a while .....but it never got this bad.  I will try the things you all mentioned.   Thank you everyone !