Something going around?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you're kitties are better.
why are they on prozac?
If you read my posts from the past year--you'll hear all the gory details.  But if not, in short, Dory is prone to redirected aggression due to seeing other cats and fear/surprises.  Her fits lead to a total breakdown in feline relations.  I have to separate the sisters and start from scratch.  The vet recommended prozac to compensate for the small apartment space as even with closed doors, Dory would still go nuts.  She couldn't deal with the sight of Josie for over 3 months initially. How these fits come about are unpredictable as it could be something as innocuous as an accidental bump against a door near Dory.  She startles and then attacks Josie.   So far the working model is to medicate them on a low dosage of prozac and to separate them when I'm away.  I have been leaving them alone when I'm out for brief periods, 2-3 hours max.  Otherwise, they are separated when I'm away.  When together, they tolerate each fairly well.  Dory's the quiet introverted one, while Josie is the bossy wench.  I've had them since they were 6 months old and they were never particularly close.  Still, Dory's first redirected aggression episode was a shock.  She literally scared Josie poopless...and frightened me too.