Someone very special died today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we drove to the funeral yesterday, it was over two hours drive...with my mother-in-law...so you can imagine the fun. I love her dearly, but she drives me nuts sometimes.

The funeral was so sad. It was a very large one....he had alot of friends.

They did an autopsy on his body, and decided for sure it was a disease he had gotten from mouse droppings in the warehouse he worked. There is a name for the disease...it starts with a Ju...something like Junec or something like that, I can't remember.

I think that is so scary!!! We have alot of mice here on the farm, of course the cats take care of alot of them, but they still manage to get into the basement once in a while, and I see droppings sometimes....I guess all you have to do is touch them and you can get this...or touch something the droppings were touching.

I don't know much about this...if anyone knows the correct name of this disease, or knows of a website on it, please let me know...I would like to know more about it...especially since it took the life of someone I cared about who was so young, and with such a promising life ahead of him.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's frightening! Who could have foreseen that? I hope the pain eases soon for all of you. What a loss.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Debby
Here is a link to OSHA's website in case either you or your husband want to contact them about what happened to your nephew. http://www.osha.gov/

I'm sure they would be able to help answer your questions about the disease that claimed your nephew's life.

Again, I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the link, Lorie, I will see what I can find out!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Debby, I just saw this thread. I am so sorry about your loss - what a tragedy to lose someone so young!

When I read your first post I thought you must have meant leptospirosis which is a deadly disease you can catch off mice droppings. I don't know about any mice related disease that begins with a "ju" - maybe you were told it was a zoonotic disease? Which means people can get it from animals?

In case you were looking for leptospirosis info here are a few links:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...spirosis_g.htm

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/consumer/lepto.htm

http://www.ksu.edu/research/animal/occhs/fact05.htm

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Anne, I am going to check those links out....maybe she told me the wrong name of the disease, but I know she (hubby's sister) said it began with Ju.
I will check into it, because I really want to know more about why he died like he did.

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW: I do not know what this is called but I have read about this happening before. Apparently the last person this happened to drank out of a pop can that was purchased through a vending machine where he worked. The can was tested, and it tested positive for traces of "mice droppings". The investigation ended with them discovering that where the canning was done, there were rodents that roamed freely at night (yuck!) and did indeed crawl over cans waiting to be packaged.... Better play it safe and make sure you wash the tops of your cans first or even better, drink from a straw.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened to him sounds a little like the Hanta Virus scare in New Mexico (I think) a few years ago.