Someone Tried to Break In!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd keep an eye out for teenagers in the area. It sounds like the person who attempted to break in was an amateur.

We have an alarm at our house. But people who break in know that they have about 5 minutes before the police show up, so they break in houses anyway and grab what they can in that amount of time.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

We did look at installing an alarm. For twice the price, we can get a system that will link to our cell phones. We don't have a house phone anymore. In fact, we just got rid of it. I'm not sure these particular burglars are that sophisticated but I'm sure some are.

You know what the police told us? We should hire private security for the neighborhood. We all live here because we can't afford a neighborhood with private security. There have been about 10 break in in two weeks and they're not even taking fingerprints in the houses that have been robbed. They took prints at mine because I found a handprint and insisted they take it. The investigator just said well it's summer like break ins just go hand in hand with sunburns and cookouts. The neighbors and I have started patrolling the neighborhood ourselves. I only hope these guys are stopped before someone gets hurt.
The police are overwhelmed, that's for sure - and- people count on that to be able to get away with their ill-gotten loot.

Because police are unable to give us the security we need, we do need to step up the "game" and do a lot of the securing ourselves.
Around here we do have Neighborhood Watch - not on our street any longer, we're seeing houses being used for rentals so the owners aren't that interested.

I'm about the only one on my part of the Circle that is home all the time, and I'm outside either doing something around the house, or making sure the outside (semi-feral) cats I care for are around and safe.
So, I guess I'm Neighborhood Watch.

The inability of the police to be serious about these break-ins is what causes people to arm themselves, too.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Determined is the word. The police seem resigned to it but the neighbors are angry. My husband and I "patrolled" on our bikes today during the times the break ins are occurring looking for anything out of place, ready to snap pictures and phone 911. I saw three of my neighbors doing the same thing. If we all work together, they're going to get caught.
There is strength in numbers.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You know what the police told us? We should hire private security for the neighborhood. We all live here because we can't afford a neighborhood with private security.
They really suggested that???
Umm... what the heck do your taxes pay for? What do they think their job is? I'd say keep calling the police anytime you see anything suspicious, along with your and your neighbors' self-patrolling. I know I would. If you keep calling the police, maybe they can send a patrol car around the neighborhood once a day even, and if the burglars see that there is police presence, it may help to move them away. Won't stop them being
s, but it will move them to another neighborhood at least.

A break-in is so nerve-wracking, I'm glad you're able to stay calm and determined through this though. Much better than how I'd be. My car got broken into in COlumbus, OH during my drive across the country when I moved from PA to CA, I was shaken up for a long time about it, and just felt violated. I still have the big ol' rock they used to break the window, I use it as a doorstop actually
. But anyway, good for you for being vigilant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I found out yesterday that there have been four unsolved murders in our area this week. We're getting little attention on the break ins because the investigators are working the murders. Which makes a lot of sense to me and I'm glad that's the way it's working. That should take precedence. So while I'd like to have more attention to our problem, I feel better knowing that they're not just ignoring us but are needed more urgently elsewhere.

If you care at all, and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't!, I made the news last night talking about the crime spree. I'm the girl in the purple shirt.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Knowing there's a neighborhood watch may serve as a bit of a deterrent, too. Hope the police get whoever has been hitting the neighborhood!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you've turned up the heat -- great that the local news has picked this up, that will help sooo much, too.

Maybe the city could give you some signs with "Neighborhood Watch" info on them - ?

Great job!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well yes, I can appreciate that they're concentrating on the murders, but a quick ride down the street once in a while can't take up too much time! Just my thoughts about it anyway..

Yeah, that's good that the whole situation got on the news. Makes people more aware, hopefully will make the baddies go away. Congrats on being famous on TV!! Sorry it's not for something much more positive and fun though.
Stick together, you'll get your neighborhood back!!