Someone PLEASE help me! The feral cat I took in had kittens last night & I'm packing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mailyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll start putting her dish further away and just watch to make sure the older kitties don't eat her food.

We're not really bothered by the hisses and I've been severely scratched by a feral before so I don't mind that (I don't really mind dogs biting me either if I know I'm helping them out lol). I just didn't want her to be uncomfortable since I don't know if she'll hurt her babies if we try to pick them up but I'll be following all your tips. I started today to sit right next to where she is with the babies so she'll get used to us been near. One question, how long before we start handling them? Or is it OK to start now?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mailyn

. One question, how long before we start handling them? Or is it OK to start now?
Oh yes, if you dare and can it is not too early.

Most rescuers and all breeders do weigh them every day, so the kittens are handled per definitions from beginning...

The roof wont fall down if you wait another week or so, but there is nothing against you doing it from now.

Unless the mom allows you, of course. But as the mom notices you are careful and very soon lay them back unharmed, she will accept.
It will get easier if they dont cries (moms gets anxious and more watchful if they cry). So make sure you are warm in hands...

Good luck!

mailyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! We've decided to start this coming Monday since my best friend is going to be staying over the weekend so we figured it was better than start today and have to stop tomorrow and then start again Monday lol. I will be posting news as to how it goes. So far so good! The older kitties haven't tried to go near the newborns and, thank god, they stopped hissing at them and mom. Yay for small steps! lol

mailyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New question: how long till the newborns start going to the bathroom. They are practically drinking milk 24/7 but there's absolutely no mess whatsoever. I'd have notice the smell or the mess by now but nothing. Should I be worried?

mailyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So far I've been staying close to her and the newborns and I read or whatever and she doesn't seem to mind.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mailyn

Thanks! So far I've been staying close to her and the newborns and I read or whatever and she doesn't seem to mind.
You have some very beautiful kitties there.

I have about 15 cats now living with me, (another 3 coming around for food), and all of them started out as feral/stray/abandoned.

The way it has worked with me is....
I start feeding and working toward touching each time I set food down. Eventually the cat learns I mean no harm and will start being friendly toward me.

Part of their surviving ":eek:ut there" was being smart and not letting potential threats get near them. Mama's teach their kits and so on down the line. I am thinking that the older kittens you have won't take long to trust you completely. The mama will probably take a little longer, but she will come around. Some people say to just wait and give it time, but I generally push my presence onto them a little at a time till they accept that I am a constant in ther life, but I won't hurt them.

All of my ex ferals are quite loving with me and my mate. They do tend to dissappear when company comes though which is ok. Ferals bond with their care givers. You will become an important human in their life and there will come a time when you are giving your kits love and find it hard to believe they were ever feral.

The one thing to be careful of is getting bitten. I don't thing there is anything worse than a cat bite when it comes to infection. I've had to have IV antibiotics twice as a result of cat bites.