Someone Please Help Darwin

thenguyentam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Im sorry if Im not following the correct Forum guidelines, but this is my first post.

My mother got me Darwin for my 16th birthday, and he's been fine up until now. He is around 1 year old and he has developed this lip issue in his lower mouth, it now has spread onto the side and up to his whisker region. Im am taking him to see a vet on Wednesday when my mom will be free, but can anyone give me a little insight on what am I going to be expecting at the vet?

(1st & 2nd Photo is the problem)(3rd photo is full body)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a new patient, they will take a history, usually a form you fill out, so if you can, find out from your mom where he came from (a private owner?  a public shelter?  A humane society or rescue?), what shots he has had, any illnesses he had in the past, and thorough vets may ask what you feed him, and also if you use ceramic, glass or stainless steel dishes and NOT plastic dishes (because some plastics give off vapors of things that some cats are sensitive to) etc.  If he was in a foster home, or a private home, you can find out his history from them.   If he came through a shelter of some sort, find out how he came to be  in the shelter.  This is useful in terms  of what he may have  been exposed to.

Obviously I can't make a diagnosis from a picture, but it looks like the corner of his mouth in the back is also inflamed.  My guess would be he had some kind of upper respiratory infection when he was a kitten and he is  having a flare from the remaining virus that he carries in his system.  This kind of flare can happen from both calici virus and herpes virus, and I think the redheaded cats are more susceptible to it, or it shows more.  My little red tabby girl who is three years old gets that occasionally on the edges of her lip but it has not gone up into the whisker pad.  Hers goes away by itself within a week.  She did have an upper respiratory virus when she was a kitten, so I know it's a flare of whatever that was.

Your little flame point is beautiful!   I had one for many years, but he is no longer alive.  There are three flamepoint groups on Facebook, each has the words "flamepoint siamese" in it, so you can search those words and find all three if you are interested.

Let us know what the vet says.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be something "easy" like feline acne.  Be sure you're using ceramic, glass, or stainless steel food dishes and water bowls.  Wash them in warm soapy water after each use.  You can use Stridex pads or a special soap called Hibiclens (available at the drug store) to clean it.