Someone please help.. at a lost..

briananicknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My almost three year old boy Oliver had a temp of 105 last week on Friday. I took him
to the vet, they gave him covenia, fluids, and onsisor. The onsior would make him feel better for a couple of hours, but his temp would go back up. On Wednesday I took to a different vet, who said FUO and that if it doesn’t go away by Monday, it never will and we will have to put him down. The vet gave me dyburprone to give at home if his temp elevates. His temp will go back for about 28 hours after the injection, but go back up to 103. All lab work is normal. X-ray is normal. Been giving subq fluids at home and he’s eating a little bit..
any recommendations? I’m so
Frustrated and at a loss and don’t want to throw the towel in yet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briananicknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week before all these symptoms started he did have a check up and received all his shots..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might want to ask one of these vets about consulting with a vet university - where studies of unusual cases are often done and there are records documenting them. A lot of these universities study conditions in cats/animals that are rarely seen in an actual vet practice.

I am also attaching a rather lengthy article (and, a bit complex as it is from a veterinary perspective) in case it might be of any benefit. The thing to note right off the bat in this article is that it states too many vets default to FUO unnecessarily, and while I may have missed it I don't recall reading anything about FUO having to result in euthanasia.
Uncovering the Cause of Fever in Cats | Today's Veterinary Practice

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this article about FUO. And not to be pessimistic, but how thorough were the vets with their testing and examination? It sounds like several tests were done, but when it comes to blood work, many tests are done separate from the usual CBC.
Does Oliver go outside? Why was the x-ray performed, and of what?
It seems according to this article there are so many tests to perform before coming to an FUO conclusion.
Fever of Unknown Origin in Cats.

You mention Oliver is eating..is he eating well? Does he drink? How are his litter box habits? Does he seem in pain anywhere? Did they do a GOOD check of his teeth? Is he scratching or licking anything more than usual?
I'm with you...I wouldn't just throw in the towel either....I hope you find some answers.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fever of unknown origin is imo no reason to put a cat down so quickly. I quote (VCA):
"Most cats respond well to basic supportive care such as keeping them warm and dry, providing plenty of water and nourishment, and administering antibiotics when indicated" so don't give up yet! I wonder if is a reaction to his shots.

briananicknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fever of unknown origin is imo no reason to put a cat down so quickly. I quote (VCA):
"Most cats respond well to basic supportive care such as keeping them warm and dry, providing plenty of water and nourishment, and administering antibiotics when indicated" so don't give up yet! I wonder if is a reaction to his shots.
Even after a week? It’ll be a week today symptoms started. I’m at a different vet right now and they said putting him down right now would be crazy and they don’t know why the other vet said that

briananicknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You might want to ask one of these vets about consulting with a vet university - where studies of unusual cases are often done and there are records documenting them. A lot of these universities study conditions in cats/animals that are rarely seen in an actual vet practice.

I am also attaching a rather lengthy article (and, a bit complex as it is from a veterinary perspective) in case it might be of any benefit. The thing to note right off the bat in this article is that it states too many vets default to FUO unnecessarily, and while I may have missed it I don't recall reading anything about FUO having to result in euthanasia.
Uncovering the Cause of Fever in Cats | Today's Veterinary Practice
Thank you! I’ll look at it.

briananicknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this article about FUO. And not to be pessimistic, but how thorough were the vets with their testing and examination? It sounds like several tests were done, but when it comes to blood work, many tests are done separate from the usual CBC.
Does Oliver go outside? Why was the x-ray performed, and of what?
It seems according to this article there are so many tests to perform before coming to an FUO conclusion.
Fever of Unknown Origin in Cats.

You mention Oliver is eating..is he eating well? Does he drink? How are his litter box habits? Does he seem in pain anywhere? Did they do a GOOD check of his teeth? Is he scratching or licking anything more than usual?
I'm with you...I wouldn't just throw in the towel either....I hope you find some answers.
I believe just a radiograph series? So everything? Not sure. But it was normal. He’s not eating well. Not like his usual self. Eating a little here and there. Not drinking but I’m giving 200 cc of fluids a day subq. Litter box habits seem okay.. I’m at a different vet right now who said it was ridiculous for the other vet to suggest putting him down so soon

briananicknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tested for FELV/FIV. all negative. Going to get some doxycycline, and continue with the dipyrone everyday, and not wait until fever spikes. Doc said it could be viral and 10-14 it takes to take its course.