Some questions about feeding Male cat's...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeLovely79

That's interesting. I wasn't sure about raw 'cause I wasn't sure how say a 5lbs package would last. Now do you have alot of prep work to do daily or is it possible to unfreeze and mix the cats portions for the week and then just heat them. Also do you have to mix any supplements or meat or anything in?
I thaw and then portion a couple days per bag... YouDONT HEAT ... I do mix in some h2o for gravey before serving... I have supplements to add in but that varies cat to cat

most raw feeders feed
70-85% meat
10% organs
10% bone
10% veggies ( some dont use veggies )

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds good but you're still doing the grinding and the extra grocery shopping. I thought the mix came premade and then you just portion and serve. I do all my own cooking for the week on Sat, there is no way I would have time to cook for the girls on Sat too. I'll just suck up the costs of premium canned for the time being (I have a picky Princess who is refusing to eat dry).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

for a dry make sure the magnesium listed is not over .085 % ... some have fish at 6-12th ingrediants to me shold be okay if not UTI prone already
chicken soup dry shows magnesium at 0.1% maximum. the wet doesn't show a magnesium percentage
& i can't find anything online about meow mix ingredients on their website - go figure
i'll just have to look tonight. if that's the problem for Chip, i can stop feeding the meow mix, since it's so fish-heavy. i have a chicken liver-pumpkin mixture i made up & froze that's in the freezer i can use to 'pump up' the flavor quotient & texture of the chicken soup wet. that loaf texture is not real appealing to my wet eaters, so i usually add some meow mix to it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeLovely79

That sounds good but you're still doing the grinding and the extra grocery shopping. I thought the mix came premade and then you just portion and serve.
There are some that come premade. I'm pretty sure what Sharky is using does...If I understood, she's just adding some supplements to suit her cats. I'll let her confirm that one.

This is what my guys are eating:
http://naturesvariety.com/content.la...8821HTw1CD5254

From my reading, most raw "purists" aren't fans of the premade, like the NVP that I linked to, but I'm grateful that such a product exists. It made it very easy for me to introduce raw to my cats. Maybe someday I'll spend my Saturdays grinding, but for now I just thaw and serve.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, darnit, I didn't know about the fish thing. So what meat ARE they allowed to eat?

We have already excised chicken, beef, and lamb for allergy purposes. Puppy's currently eating Eagle Pack; he gets the fish formula for dry and the duck formula for wet. I seem to recall the fish being anchovie, sardine, and salmon.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by qhgirl1

Do you know how this would compare in price to buying and grinding your own? Thanks
I don't really know. Once you get past the initial investment of a decent grinder that will do bone, I believe you would be money ahead making it yourself.

The Nature's Variety is affordable enough for now. A 3 lb bag of 1oz medallions is $11 here. That has 48 medallions in it....so .23/medallion and my cats eat about 3-4 per day each. I'm interested in trying some other brands of pre-made raw, but I'm trying to stick with my local choices until I figure out what works, what they like, etc.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

Well, darnit, I didn't know about the fish thing. So what meat ARE they allowed to eat?

We have already excised chicken, beef, and lamb for allergy purposes. Puppy's currently eating Eagle Pack; he gets the fish formula for dry and the duck formula for wet. I seem to recall the fish being anchovie, sardine, and salmon.
Well if Puppy's not having a problem with the fish I don't know that I would worry too much, since your choices have been limited already.

I can think of Venison and Rabbit...I know Natural Balance has Venison & Green Pea...not sure about rabbit, though.

I'm sure Sharky could advise.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by qhgirl1

Do you know how this would compare in price to buying and grinding your own? Thanks
When I tried to do my own with a Ca+ supplement since no grinder ... it was about 30% more than a complete premade ... figure organic chn at 4 $ pr lb

Nautres at least here is a $$$ ...

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Persians except for ONe domestic girl. She has UTi issues. I have a stud male that I want to prevent him from getting the UTi issues. Soo I feed him a can of soft food that the fish ingredient is way back there - not close up and has chicken or beef and other first. I then even mix this can with water. He laps it up like it's the best! I am in the process of switching my foods over to royal canin persian b/c they have PKd and UTI ingredients to help these issues.

Best of luck finding something.

Charity
Faith Hope Love Persians