Some people just don't get it!

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Diva's previous owner had her declawed, I don't agree with it either, but it is kind of funny to watch her sharpen her non existant claws...

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandma keeps getting on my case on why Nero and Hoshi aren't declawed. (Her cat Brini is).

Yes, Nero scratches on our $3,000 bed and our leather couches, and not the flippin' scratching post we've provided, but that's no reason to declaw. Rob has asked me about Soft Paws and we may look into that if having Hoshi around doesn't keep him from being as destructive. We're also going to try the spray bottle. Luckily Hoshi is a scratching post fiend and can't get enough.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A black cat with red SoftPaws looks great, to my way of thinking. And bright blue works, too. Yellow would be great. How about pink?

They work.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

Diva's previous owner had her declawed, I don't agree with it either, but it is kind of funny to watch her sharpen her non existant claws...
Bickford is the same way! He's the 1st one to jump on a new cardboard scratcher. He came to me declawed, and his former owner was shocked that my other cat wasn't declawed.

I tried to talk my RB kitty Freckles former owner out of declawing the two cats she kept, but to no avail. Her boyfriend told her it was declaw them or don't bother moving in.
All that money (which she didn't have and he wouldn't help her) and the cats got loose somehow. What's worse is she knew I would have taken them if they needed to be rehomed.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I held my tongue and waited for the woman to leave...and told the lady who was originally interested in the cat that I didn't want to argue with her friend, but that there is NO reason to declaw a cat. You can use Soft Paws, work with the cat, teach it where to scratch, use positive reinforcement, etc.
I agree 100% it's the risk you take, taking in a cat as a pet. A cat shouldn't have to conform IE: have the tip of its toes cut off just to live with a person, it wasn't their idea to be stuck in someone's home with their expensive furniture.

Not to mention I trim my cat's nails about once every week and a half and he's good to go. He uses the scratching posts I have for him no problem.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

I tried to talk my RB kitty Freckles former owner out of declawing the two cats she kept, but to no avail. Her boyfriend told her it was declaw them or don't bother moving in.
I will never understand this. What an auspicious beginning to a live-in relationship. Mutilate your cat or you can't move in?

If any man gave me that option I would first explain what it is. If he still insisted, he wouldn't see me or my cats again. Just not worth it. No man is that good!

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I joined this site I had never heard of declawing,
and I would never ever let my darling girls go through that.

I have scars all over me where my baby girl Mecha has chucked a psycho and grabbed me with her claws (we cut them but they're still very sharp)
my lounge that I brought last year has threads hanging off one side and my bed sheets have little scratches in them also from where Mecha uses them both as a scratching post (she has THREE sisal / soft plush stuff / carpet combined posts but uses them very sparsly)

imho scars, the sheets and a lounge are not worth putting my girl through the operation and the risks.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always find it strange when I was looking for a second cat and they would say 'now he DOES have all his claws, is that a problem?'

Uh, no, not a problem, probably a plus, since most of the declawed cats are there for urinary issues and biting...

Both my cats have claws. People who come over always seem surprised by this and somewhat... worried by it. Come off it, folks, my boys are loves, if they accidently prick you with a claw, it was an accident, pure and simple. They use their scratcher and not you, so what's the issue?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

I hardly hear of de-clawing happening in england, I wonder if it does go on?
It's illegal in many countries outside North America.

Here it is only done for medical reasons and would only involve the infected claw, you cannot have them removed 'just because' as the operation is considered animal cruelty.